Different Perspective: Good Moves

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far, I agree w/ pretty much everything they've done. This is what needed to be done. Now, will we follow it up w/ more smart moves? To be seen.
Kevin, I agree with all the cuts so far too. My problem with this off season is the lack of vision this FO seems to perpetuate. They wait to make bold moves until there’s no choice. They over-value their talent and seem to lack any idea of what kind of indentity they are building for.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.
This is the biggest Kool Aid Drinking Post I have ever read fitting the definition of an Arlington Jonesboys fan.

What in the 26 years, 52 months, 9,490 days. 227,760 hours have given you the reference or the preponderance of the evidence that Jerry Dumbo GM Jones, and Stephen "Personnel Title" Jones can or will make a step toward building something good?

All you are going to get from the Arlington Jonesboys is one step forward and Moonwalk backwards...

Einstein

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.
Except haven't we been down this road before? 25+ years of getting worse before we get better ain't working.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm all for changing where they put their cap dollars. Too much invested in a passing game that was yielding too little. Put that money into the defense and the OL. I wouldn't have let La'el go yet, it's too hard to get just a decent OL on the starting roster much less depth. Draft or sign his replacement and then dump him.
People want the team to send a message to players. The cut of Collins sent a message. Forcing Tank to take a pay cut is a bit of a message. Shipping out Cooper was a message.

I think you are starting to see a culture change in process. +1 to the ownership.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

I agree with the moves too. Well said. I think Coop, Collins and Gregory represented some locker room issues. But for me it’s hard to spin positive because I’m afraid they don’t know what to do now. Almost like they brainstormed “Part A” but B is now making it up as they go. The Gregory deal has me thinking that. I’m not a proponent of breaking the bank but I am a proponent of some aggressiveness with some guys coming open out there. Do they do that or are they overselling their drafting ability? No clue

visionary

Reaction score

ever heard of the “Battered Spouse Syndrome”?

look it up then read your post again

terra

Reaction score
You're living in the cap past, not the cap future, and unfortunately, so are the Cowboys.
The cap is set to EXPLODE in the coming years.
Some are predicting it could be as high as 248 just next season, and a 300 mil cap is right around the corner.
The cap has been stuck in this "Covid freeze" and it's now going to come out.
20 mil for Coop is never going to be regarded as cheap, but a 20 mil WR on a 300 cap is a lot less % wise than on a 200 cap.
We are already seeing WR salaries increase. Kirk and Williams both signed for close to Coops number, and wait until you see what Adams gets. In the next few years top WR will be getting well over 20. Godwin just got 20.
Coop is costing us 6 mil in cap space this year, and he's playing for the Browns.
You could have easily restructured him and cut his number to close to that this year. (Remember Gallups 5/62.5 deal is costing just 4.5 THIS season).
Yes, the contracts increase in the future, but with an expanding cap it becomes much more managable.
Coop is in his prime, a top 10-12 receiver in the league. He was signed for 3 more years, and we let him go for next to nothing.
That is just not good asset management.
Even if you decide you want to move on in the future from him, you make it work, drive up his value and trade him for a real asset.
My guess is, after seeing Kirks, Williams and Godwins deal, Coops value has increased. He'd likely get 20-22 mil on the market if he were a FA right now, and Adams is about to reset the market.
And now we have a hole at WR, which we will need to fill either with a premium pick or with a FA.
It's like selling your home because you were afraid of the mortgage payment, but now the value has increased, and we need to go rent something and rents have gone way up. We lost the asset.
Poor management.
IF Dak had good chemistry with Coop (like a lot of top QBs get with their best WRs) then he should have stayed. Unfortunately that chemistry is NOT there. CD might be the guy; we need another year to see for sure. Gallup is one step up from JAG to be blunt; a decent #2 but that is all. We are going to need more talent that produces at WR and TE.
As regards the cap, true its going to jump big time. BUT that moment is not here yet and we have to deal with things as they are now.

terra

Reaction score
Since I don't see us as contenders, I'm OK w/ only signing short term FA's this season, or decent players on cheaper contracts. I don't believe even if we spent high dollars on 2-3 really good players that it would make the difference this year. Might be better focusing on next offseason.
My problem is that I doubt the boys are even really trying to take advantage of what is out there. Bluntly speaking there are some mid range FA's that would help us and they are being ignored as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd take Cooper, Gregory, and Collins over DLaw, Gallup, and Schultz any day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which move have we made that you'd really think of as a bad move. Collins needed to go. Cooper was not the answer and was grossly overpaid. Who was released that we shouldn't have released? And no way should we have paid Gregory, von Miller, or anyone else we've been flirting w/.

Take the now out of your mind and think of how the salary cuts will affect our ability to improve the team in the future. Think of 2023, not 2022.
Right . But the fans who follow and buy-in with the Jethro led SB or Bust (we like our guys and have enough talent segment )aren’t as interested in the future.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Which move have we made that you'd really think of as a bad move. Collins needed to go. Cooper was not the answer and was grossly overpaid. Who was released that we shouldn't have released? And no way should we have paid Gregory, von Miller, or anyone else we've been flirting w/.

Take the now out of your mind and think of how the salary cuts will affect our ability to improve the team in the future. Think of 2023, not 2022.
I have issue with signing a hurt wr 2 big $ and releasing a better wr. Gallup in no way is a # 2 guy,let alone BARELY a #3 wr. This is a gamble.Stevie better be rite. Lastly...I have no issue cutting bait with Collins, hes a dunderhead..and Steele is better,cheaper. I take BIG ISSUE letting Ced walk.He was really great with Dak. Gallup just isnt as good. The Randy thing, meh...I wanted Armstrong anyway, so Im not that upset, except the way it was handled was terrible. Amari was the answer btw. Maybe not at the $. We just took a step backward at wr.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Right . But the fans who follow and buy-in with the Jethro led SB or Bust (we like our guys and have enough talent segment )aren’t as interested in the future.
losing Ced W. will be the 1 move that proves terrible.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Hey, you shut up now, we're trying to find a positive spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think the defense will regress? I think they will be more consistent in year 2 with quinn, and it will be nfl year 2 for a lot of guys which will be big. I doubt they have the turnovers, but there are other places they can clamp down

Diehardblues

Reaction score
losing Ced W. will be the 1 move that proves terrible.
KSkboys is right on. The problem is finding better replacements with our FO.

This is why we overpay and hang on too long to our guys. Don’t have faith our football idiots will find better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is how you build teams and remain relevant in Cap era. You have to cut loose . But you have to have the ability to retool, mainly thru the draft.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately the same morons that got us in that cap situation are still running the show and will do it again........ Because if the Jones's have proven anything the last 30 years is that they never learn nor change.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fans can spin what they want in an attempt to try and find positives from losing good players but not finding a way to keep Cooper was not a good move. Allowing Cedrick Wilson to walk wasn’t a good move. It could be argued it would’ve been better keeping him than Michael Gallup. We’ve lost two of our top four receivers. We’ve lost three starters on offense and one starter on defense who we wanted to re-sign but they turned their back on us. Every player we’ve lost is currently being replaced by downgrades. Unless we hit a home run in the draft with at least two or three impact rookies and come up with a couple of solid free agents it’s likely to be a struggle next season. I’ll keep saying it we had our shot last season and blew it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only thing that’s keeping us ahead of the teams in our division right now is our QB who many Cowboys fans want to get rid of. Put Dak behind center in Washington and they’ll have the better team. They’re a QB away.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Kevin, I agree with all the cuts so far too. My problem with this off season is the lack of vision this FO seems to perpetuate. They wait to make bold moves until there’s no choice. They over-value their talent and seem to lack any idea of what kind of indentity they are building for.
That’s because we have a promoter not a builder. Each season is on its own merit. He can only sell or hype up one season at a time.

He’d look really silly calling for us to have enough talent to win in 2023 and beyond. Lol
Plus he’s not really interested in 2023 and beyond.

It’s similar to drilling for oil. You put all your energy and money into hitting the current hole. Until it hits or comes up dry. Then you move to the next hole.