Diggs might be the reason we can't stop the run

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Deion did the same thing. Yet both the 49ers and Cowboys won SBs with him doing that.

That's not a cb's job, your d-line, lbs and safeties should do that...
Let's try not to say Diggs and Sanders in the same sentence, there is no comparison zero, zip, none!! Sanders hated to tackle, but when he needed to shutdown his side, he shut it down, didn't matter if it was a run or pass play. Diggs got into a bad habit of trying to jump routes and has paid bigtime for it. as for his tackling ability, it's a joke. He doesn't wrap up, he either bails on the play or falls down in front of the runner hoping he doesn't get stepped on.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Surprised how many of you don't consider the CBs to be an important part of stopping the run. The corners for the Saints were looking to destroy our ball carriers and it showed.
Every player within the vicinity of a ball carrier is critical to run defence.

Dalls has troubel with teams that smack them in the mouth. We are not a very physical team.

As another poster stated in another thread milk sucking puppies tendencies as opposed to being DAWGS.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.
So you crapped on Martin being the problem with the offense and Diggs being the problem with the defense. I can’t wait to hear who you blame on special teams. Hate on girl!

Smith22

Reaction score
The offensive coordinators around the league are happy that our front office agrees with you and they game plan accordingly. If you don't think that Diggs was targeted and the Saints knew there was an undefended edge then you are in denial.
We had a DT routinely getting pushed 3-10 yards off the LOS, a linebacker running around clueless like he did last year and you want to lay all the blame on Diggs.

Get a clue.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We had a DT routinely getting pushed 3-10 yards off the LOS, a linebacker running around clueless like he did last year and you want to lay all the blame on Diggs.

Get a clue.
not likely to happen
one player does not decide whether the run game works or not nor does the opponents run game work or not work due to one person.
That is why its a team sport
some people here think one person decides all and that never happens

Now one person can have a lot of effect but never more than a part of the whole

To me blaming the CB for a bad run D is like blaming the WR for a poor run O

Robster8989

Reaction score
he's more show than go, i'd agree. but it's strange what any given skillset goes for in the NFL anymore. i'd also agree he's soft against the run.

but by the time they get to the CB, they've past a lot of other D.
I would agree.
Not defending Diggs run stopping, but he's a CB. Prime wasn't exactly a guy who mixed it up either. He's there for his abiility to cover (and take away the ball).
The (MUCH) bigger issue is our Dline.
We've covered the weakness on the interior.
Should never have allowed Hankins to get away, he was a cog in there and Mazi just isn't there yet.
Phillips and Joseph are a joke. Osa is OK. That's our interior DL. It's seriously a joke. I actua;ly think Watkins could help (a little).
One position group that needs calling out is Edge.
We have 2 great pass rushers, both of whom are glory seakers.
The Saints made them pay for it with brilliant play calling.
Watch DLaw and Micah. They immediately run up the field, using their speed. Before you know it, they are 3-5 yards behind the LOS, as they are seeking sacks.
A play called that gets the ball outside of our Edge players (like screen plays etc) are usually going to have great success. See Kamara.
The Edge is called that for a reason. They are supposed to set the Edge of the defense. Plays shouldn't get outside them so easily.
But our Edge players are glory seekers. They seek individual accolade and stats over team success. Watch TJ or Bosa. These guys play great run D, AND they get after the QB. Micah is a savant at rushing the passer, but he's not a great teammate. He has not shown he is willing to sacrifice for the success of the team. Jerry should remember that at contract time (but he won't).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
maybe its me, but if you need your CB to stop the run, you got some serious issues.
winner-winner-chicken-dinner.gif

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
say "i love cliche's even when they don't fit without even saying it"

never said it was his fault, did i? find it.

chase your own geese.
Was referring to the OP's take.

Your take was spot on.

Maybe less estrogen with your morning eggs?

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.

Diggs might be the reason we can't stop the run..

Who Put Diggs On The DF Line.. :lmao: :muttley:C'Mon Man..:banghead:

visionary

Reaction score
He should never have been signed
Cant sign soft selfish players to huge contracts and expect great results

visionary

Reaction score
Diggs is certainly not a great run defender, but he is far from THE issue.
No individual is THE issue
They are collectively THE issue
The Quinn and the Zimm defenses are night and day different
When both fail and get run on, it is not the scheme it is the players.
Yes our DT are a major issue but ‘leaders’ like Diggs and Parsons are a HUGE part of the problem