Diggs might be the reason we can't stop the run

stilltheguru

Reaction score
People battling over who the softest defenders are. They range from the front to the back. Only a few tough players on defense and none are the stars

foofighters

Reaction score
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.
So you're saying Diggs should be meeting the RB at the LOS or before? That's where the problem lies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
uhh... what if i told you he out ran mccafrey and had a higher ypc than him or mitchell? they weren't able to run the ball either is my point (because of the job our defense was doing) until the end of the game after we lost him, and gave up the circus catch. you're talking the game as a whole, and the philosophy of football, and championship caliber team. none of which i'm arguing. the defense played extremely well. they gave up one td, they held up on short fields, they were physical and tone setters. they effectively shut down cmc. daks picks, losing tp, and kittles circus catch were the differentiators.
Pollard’s yards per carry in that game were barely higher than McCafferty. We contained McCafferty, but SF still ran for 113 yards. It enabled them to control the ball. If you want believe our our defense played “extremely well” in that game then believe what you want. I’ve had a bunch of debates about that game and am not wasting anymore time with it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
CBs not being physical against the run is a minor issue compared to your DL consistently getting thrown into the concession stands.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Winning time of possession usually has a little something to do with the offense being able to move the ball. Our offense was absolute buns in that game. Of course the defense eventually caved at the end of the game.
Our offense was trash in that game, so that had something to do with us losing the time of possession battle. However, our defense couldn’t get SF off the field. Their third down efficiency was much higher than ours. Our defense always caves when playoff games are on the line. It’s been a problem for years. Every time we have an opportunity late in the game we give up a play. It doesn’t matter if it’s Aaron Rodgers or Brock Purdy. We’re never going to win anything with our defense unless it gets a lot better in the big games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
While on the topic of matadors in the secondary at safety am I asking too much of Hooker to pick off a bomb every now and then . He got paid now let’s see some turnovers .
He never gets tested. The Saints did what no one has been either willing to do or not scared to do. They attacked that safety group.

Proof

Reaction score
Pollard’s yards per carry in that game were barely higher than McCafferty. We contained McCafferty, but SF still ran for 113 yards. It enabled them to control the ball. If you want believe our our defense played “extremely well” in that game then believe what you want. I’ve had a bunch of debates about that game and am not wasting anymore time with it.
barely higher = higher, yeah? so correct? i didn't ask you to waste any time in the first place, you decided to argue. maybe the fact that you've "had a bunch of debates" is because you're wrong. (hint: you are)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
barely higher = higher, yeah? so correct? i didn't ask you to waste any time in the first place, you decided to argue. maybe the fact that you've "had a bunch of debates" is because you're wrong. (hint: you are)
You’re the one who decided to argue. You responded to a comment I made about the circus catch Kittle made, claiming our defense played tremendously in that game. I disagreed saying our defense played respectably, but not tremendously. That was far from a tremendous defensive performance. I’ve had a bunch of debates on the topic because a lot of fans like you have taken exception to my opinion.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
oh lord. now we're discounting special teams lol? it's cool man, we're good.
I take that as a NO defense didn't get a turnover with their tremendous performance. Gotcha. Just wanted to be clear

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Say "I don't know football" wthout saying it.

Sure, it's the Cornerback's fault that the defensive line is getting blown off the ball and the Linebackers are hopscotching around trying to find a crease. Why isn't the Corner stoppong it?
say "i love cliche's even when they don't fit without even saying it"

never said it was his fault, did i? find it.

chase your own geese.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
He should be part of the effort. Especially when the opponent is in a run heavy formation. On anything resembling an off tackle run or sweep, Diggs was getting washed easier than a dish towel. I love Diggs the person and he's a great ballhawk but he gives 25% on run support.
never said he shouldn't be.

but the CB isn't going to be why you're run defense sucks.

dunno where this got to be a hard concept.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.

Diggs thinks he is Prime.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Imagine for a second what the previous game film study would reveal to the coaches and players being embarrassed by what they find.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I still remember his Famous "OLE" against Kittle on that final Niner drive . Diggs is super soft and way overpaid .

Praxit

Reaction score
maybe its me, but if you need your CB to stop the run, you got some serious issues.
..yeah, have to agree here. I dont know how much truth is in this thread.

But, if he has a shot, he has to take it.