Diggs v Byron

ultron

Reaction score
yep, the thing about an int is it’s often the same result as a punt.

I’ll take a 3 and out over the boom or bust DBs who get the nightlights.

disagree about him being out of the league thinking. He will get better. Has all the tools you want in a corner. It’s a hard transition to make from college.

remember Byron jones rookie year? They put him at safety because he constantly got burned deep.
No they put him at safety because they had no idea how good of a corner he would be. He can’t catch or read plays but he’s fast, can jump through the ceiling, and stick to a guy like glue. Diggs is a WR converted to a corner & will not get drastically better unless they hire someone to really teach the kid how to play corner.

JayFord

Reaction score
Im a fan of Diggs but I darn near gave up on him last night.....

he took a massive step after when he caught two picks he gave up a TD yes but hes still a rookie

that said.....im hoping he stays the course and gets better because his coverage still needs work especially on go routes

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No they put him at safety because they had no idea how good of a corner he would be. He can’t catch or read plays but he’s fast, can jump through the ceiling, and stick to a guy like glue. Diggs is a WR converted to a corner & will not get drastically better unless they hire someone to really teach the kid how to play corner.
Not true at all. The guy literally played half his games at CB as a rookie. The issue is he wasn’t a very good one early on. Diggs is way ahead of where jones was as a rookie.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneBy00/fantasy/2015

bsbellomy

Reaction score
This is exactly what you get from Diggs

Jones - lockdown corner, no picks but gives up no touchdowns

Diggs - gives up big plays but also makes big plays

Why dont we just compare rookie seasons?

tm1119

Reaction score
It was wise to let him walk. That money was outrageous. But it makes you wonder how bad or good would we be with both. Drafting Diggs shouldn’t have impacted Byron. I suspect Byron will be available in about 3 years after they cut him because of his contract.

I don’t think you understand football

John813

Reaction score
Dolphins left Howard and Jones on islands yesterday. They sent the house versus Goff and McVay couldn't figure out how to protect his QB till it was too late. They ran cover 0 defenses and the corners covered enough for the front 7 to force sacks/fumbles/errant throws

aria

Reaction score
Diggs has as many career picks in 8 games as Byron had in 88. Just in case anyone was wondering if it was wise to let him walk. It was.
Who the hell cares? He gets burned all the time. I’m not saying he won’t be good but so far I’m not that impressed.

1) Byron wasn’t a ball hawk but didn’t have that many picks because the guy he was covering was hardly targeted thus lessening the opportunities.

2) I’d much rather have a guy that didn’t get a couple INT’s a year but took out the other teams best WR than a guy who got targeted and gave up big plays all the time but got a few picks.

Jerry was dumb as hell for giving Jaylon and zeke big contracts instead of Byron and now we’re seeing the results. I hope some of you who thought a very good CB was as easily replaceable as an overpaid RB are happy. If I were to overpay for any position in this league it would be QB, LT, CB, and DE.

Over paying and using a top 10 pick on a RB? Lol, bush league.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Did he know he had help? He's gotten burned for doing that when he didn't have help, I believe. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a fine player and I'm rooting for him. But I'd rather have a CB who doesn't give up scores than a CB who occasionally turns the ball over so our offense may or may not do something with it.

I can only take what he says for face value but when got burned by McClaurin last week he said he got lazy with his eyes (or something to that effect).

You can only hope those moments help shape his discipline a d technique moving forward.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Jones wasn't no lockdown corner his rookie year and doesn't have picks because his hands aren't good. If he had a decent number of picks, he would still be here.

visionary

Reaction score
Diggs has as many career picks in 8 games as Byron had in 88. Just in case anyone was wondering if it was wise to let him walk. It was.

It was unquestionably a good decision to let Byron go

Diggs will be a much better CB than Byron ever was

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jones wasn't no lockdown corner his rookie year and doesn't have picks because his hands aren't good. If he had a decent number of picks, he would still be here.
If he had a "decent number of picks", he would've cost twice as much, so probably not.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Watched the entire MIA/LAR game yesterday. Jones and company took it to Goff and his receivers on a much improved MIA defense. Using interceptions as the primary way to measure a cornerback’s value is a terrible way to judge how good they are.

Diggs had a great game last night. I hope that his issues with giving up big plays so far is just the growing pains one see with rookies but we let a very good cornerback in Jones go and I wish we could have found a way to keep him.

Last edited: