Diggs v Byron

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He keeps getting burned like that it doesn't bold well for him in the future
Like I have seen up close with elite corners, he has the short-memory needed to play at that level.

I was worried about that too, but last night showed me Diggs has that mentality. Just needs a Safety worth a dang to help keep Quarterbacks honest.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I'm not sure couching this as a an either/or situation is accurate - the question with Jones was only the contract, and if the Cowboys had felt they could comfortably handle that there is no reason the team couldn't have had both Diggs and Jones.

In any case, Diggs also has let guys beat him badly on deep routes more in a short time than Byron did, so there is a trade off. The positive take though is that Diggs is young and there is both the hope and expectation that he will improve on that front with time. Byron had probably reached his ceiling.
Try and remember, Byron's rookie season wasn't exactly stellar coverage. He grew into that after a couple of years and still didn't get interceptions.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Like I have seen up close with elite corners, he has the short-memory needed to play at that level.

I was worried about that too, but last night showed me Diggs has that mentality. Just needs a Safety worth a dang to help keep Quarterbacks honest.
Yeah, get a Safety that can put a cap on those WRs deep, so Diggs be aggressive and jump routes like he did last night...almost got him one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Try and remember, Byron's rookie season wasn't exactly stellar coverage. He grew into that after a couple of years and still didn't get interceptions.
Jones was mostly playing safety then, and really flip flopped between safety and CB. He didn't get to settle into CB until his 4th season.

Besides, the post I was responding to talked about Jones entire career, so it shouldn't be off limits for my response to deal with that same time period.

Nevertheless, I'm not saying Diggs isn't going to be better than Jones - I suspect he will. I'm just saying the one stop INT stat in the middle of Diggs rookie season isn't sufficient to judge that. Time is what will tell.

Havic

Reaction score
Ill take a ball hawk who gives up a few big plays over a cover corner who cant grab an INT to save his life.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Diggs has as many career picks in 8 games as Byron had in 88. Just in case anyone was wondering if it was wise to let him walk. It was.

I'm not sure that's the best thing to bring up after he also gave up two touchdowns. Jones' forte was not interceptions, it was great coverage that kept receivers from beating him for things like, you know, TDs.

So we got two TDs against Diggs that we couldn't overcome and two interceptions by Diggs that we couldn't do anything with. Which one mattered more in this game?

exciter

Reaction score
Diggs has as many career picks in 8 games as Byron had in 88. Just in case anyone was wondering if it was wise to let him walk. It was.
And Diggs has given up just about as many TD passes in 8 games as Jones has in his career. As many passes as are being thrown at Diggs he’s bound to get an int or two. At this point Diggs is one of the worst corners in the league and Jones is top 5 minimum!

Ken

Reaction score
He’s already 27. He relies on athleticism. If he plays more physical, he can stay in his prime for another 2 years
I personally don't think BJ is a great corner. Nice player, makes zero plays however.

I was referring to Digg's getting much better.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Why is it 1 vs the other instead of having both on the same team? Keeping Byron wouldn't have meant we couldn't draft Diggs.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Truth is, we shouldve signed Byron AND drafted Diggs.

At the end of the season, we only have Diggs and Brown under contract. We need 3 CBs
Losing Chido and Lewis is more addition by subtraction. I thought Lewis was something. It looks like Richard ruined the poor kid.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No they put him at safety because they had no idea how good of a corner he would be. He can’t catch or read plays but he’s fast, can jump through the ceiling, and stick to a guy like glue. Diggs is a WR converted to a corner & will not get drastically better unless they hire someone to really teach the kid how to play corner.

He was thrown into the fire as a rookie without a preseason and has held his own. That is proof he can play corner.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Watched the entire MIA/LAR game yesterday. Jones and company took it to Goff and his receivers on a much improved MIA defense. Using interceptions as the primary way to measure a cornerback’s value is a terrible way to judge how good they are.

Diggs had a great game last night. I hope that his issues with giving up big plays so far is just the growing pains one see with rookies but we let a very good cornerback in Jones go and I wish we could have found a way to keep him.

Same, I wanted Jones back but at the range of paying him in the top 5 - 8 range. Byron has the second highest CB Cap hit in the NFL this year and that is a big overpayment. You pay elite money to elite players, it never works out to pay elite money to above average players.

Kumala808

Reaction score
Diggs is gonna get better and you can see the aggressiveness towards the ball, yes he has been torched but who hasn't on this team. I think towards the end of this season you will see good he will be in dallas.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I would not trade Diggs for Byron Jones straight up even if Jones did not have the $16M contract.

I have seen Byron Jones’ ceiling. I have seen Diggs’ floor. Diggs is climbing rapidly. He hasn’t even come close to his ceiling. Byron Jones will never be spectacular. Diggs has a much better upside and the talent to be spectacular.

Diggs’ floor is already nearing Jones’ ceiling. And that is not even taking into consideration contract value.

ondaedg

Reaction score
It’s proof that interceptions are the most overrated thing in football. This kid isn’t 10% as good as Byron & if he keeps giving up big plays he’ll be out of the league in 2 years.

Top teams and takeaways have been directly correlated for the last 25+ years. So no, INTs are not overrated. And Byron has given up some big plays in his career including a playoff game. I like Byron but he hit his ceiling and was a huge liability in the run game.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
It’s proof that interceptions are the most overrated thing in football. This kid isn’t 10% as good as Byron & if he keeps giving up big plays he’ll be out of the league in 2 years.
Byron was faster and jumped higher. He was also in his 4th season when he moved to corner,

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Im a fan of Diggs but I darn near gave up on him last night.....

he took a massive step after when he caught two picks he gave up a TD yes but hes still a rookie

that said.....im hoping he stays the course and gets better because his coverage still needs work especially on go routes
Keep in mind he has no safety