Diggs v Byron

aria

Reaction score
Diggs has as many career picks in 8 games as Byron had in 88. Just in case anyone was wondering if it was wise to let him walk. It was.
How many times was Jones targeted last year? How many times has Diggs been targeted this year? What are the completion percentages for each player when they are targeted? How many 20+ yard plays has each player given up?

There’s a lot more than just INT’s to a player being valuable.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why is it 1 vs the other instead of having both on the same team? Keeping Byron wouldn't have meant we couldn't draft Diggs.
BJ was good very solid but no way you keep him at the price MIA gave him..his stat lines joke hes done nothing in MIA so far and you cant pay elite money for just solid..we already have enough targets on our team from fans around here saying players arent earning the new deals..BJ had no shot..you had to let him walk..

quickccc

Reaction score
this maybe the wrong coverage scheme for Diggs, ..maybe best when he can give some cushion between he and the faster WRs.

Nolan and Al Harris want him to be Lester Hayes bump and run and covering 60 yards distances at the line press vs the flier WRs., and he doesn't have that
kind of recovery speed - this coaching staff seems so ill-fit for the players we have on defense. ....

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
this maybe the wrong coverage scheme for Diggs, ..maybe best when he can give some cushion between he and the faster WRs.

Nolan and Al Harris want him to be Lester Hayes bump and run and covering 60 yards distances at the line press vs the flier WRs., and he doesn't have that
kind of recovery speed - this coaching staff seems so ill-fit for the players we have on defense. ....
HIs strength is bump & run. If you get a good game and maul receivers, they wont get to use their speed.

starfan1

Reaction score
I agree, we should give him time. But anyone claiming he's better than Byron already place too much importance on turnovers and not enough importance on stopping the other team from scoring.

I'm guessing they're either looking for flash, or they're embarrassed at the lack of turnovers to the point that they'd rather pump those stats up than win games.
It shouldn’t be a comparison of diggs and Jones . Jones played in a different defense . I also think that the comparison should be who they should have paid vs who they did

Byron is not remotely worth what he’s being paid but the value he brings is infinitely better than Smith, Zeke an argument can be made for DLaw as well but not a strong one

it would have been nice to have diggs and Jones but it wasn’t in the cards

I was ok with Byron being gone because of how much he costs and Diggs will soon be as good in coverage and get picks something that Byron was allergic to

quickccc

Reaction score
It shouldn’t be a comparison of diggs and Jones . Jones played in a different defense . I also think that the comparison should be who they should have paid vs who they did

Byron is not remotely worth what he’s being paid but the value he brings is infinitely better than Smith, Zeke an argument can be made for DLaw as well but not a strong one

it would have been nice to have diggs and Jones but it wasn’t in the cards

I was ok with Byron being gone because of how much he costs and Diggs will soon be as good in coverage and get picks something that Byron was allergic to

Actually they are Not playing in a different defense when it comes to the secondary tasks and coverage scheme.

- Kris Richard wanted and implemented a jam press man coverage scheme when it comes to the CBs,..and Al Harris is emphasizing
the same press coverage manner.

- i would disagree Diggs will be infinitely better. You'd like a CB that not only gets INTs.. but also can isolate and lock down the better WRs without the
fear of getting dusted on these long vertical fly routes. He doesn't have to be schemed and protected.
But take like ex-Bucs Ronde Barber who excelled at zone and Cover 2 scheme with a off line cushion but not the kind that can go hip to hip with fly WRs.

- While Jones won't ever play to be in position to make INTs and turnovers, he flat had the physical makeup, style and pure athleticism to run toe to toe
with most speedsters in a long distance go fly routes - that's not Diggs game. So coaches need to adapt to his game, not force Trevon to adapt to their scheme

The better coaches do that ...the lesser coaches do not.
Ala ex-DB coach Joe Baker having Jones at FS,.. before Richard switched him to a man coverage CB.

o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
HIs strength is bump & run. If you get a good game and maul receivers, they wont get to use their speed.

Diggs handled bump and run at the collegiate level and he had vast support talent around him at both front end and back seven
but the NFL level is a whole different animal. What worked at Bama, won't neccessarily allow you to get away with that at the NFL level.

He has to compensate for a lack of pure recovery speed and it can be done. It's not about 40 time either.
Its a knack for technique, great instincts and positioning.

i like the pre-draft comparison to Richard Sherman who wasn't a 40 time blazer either, but when it comes to the playing field, in his prime, he just was
a marvelous coverage guy who was hard to beat and he made INT plays. That's what the Cowboys wanted from Byron but he could only offer
man coverage and had to be kept in man press scheme.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Diggs handled bump and run at the collegiate level and he had vast support talent around him at both front end and back seven
but the NFL level is a whole different animal. What worked at Bama, won't neccessarily allow you to get away with that at the NFL level.

He has to compensate for a lack of pure recovery speed and it can be done. It's not about 40 time either.
Its a knack for technique, great instincts and positioning.

i like the pre-draft comparison to Richard Sherman who wasn't a 40 time blazer either, but when it comes to the playing field, in his prime, he just was
a marvelous coverage guy who was hard to beat and he made INT plays. That's what the Cowboys wanted from Byron but he could only offer
man coverage and had to be kept in man press scheme.
Al Harris played for like 14 seasons and all he did was bump & run and wasn’t fast.

quickccc

Reaction score
Al Harris played for like 14 seasons and all he did was bump & run and wasn’t fast.

Not every one ..every player has the same make up. and skill set .
Some guys play faster on the playing field than their suggested 40 time ..

some guys are just not fast period but they compensate and make up for it in other areas.
Ala ex- Bucs Ronder Barber or our own Everson Walls.

Some guys are meant for bump run press coverage and some just play better off the line with a cushion between them and WRs.

We dunno yet what kinda player will eventually be once he is up to par in techniques, and better knowing and playing and competing against
NFL WRs in a competitive game.

i already don't like rookie Diggs constantly be placed on an island so much vs these WRs on constant basis .. without zero safety
help over the top, .never the freaking safety help !! .. :mad:

Opposing NFL teams are very well on to this - and taking plenty well advantage of the rookie.
.but who knows what these damn DB coaches and DC is trying to do. :facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You could easily argue that Byron isn’t worth the money he got. As of right now though jones > diggs. I’ll take the shutdown performance over two picks while also getting burnt multiple times. A cb rotation of diggs, jones, awuzie, and brown is extremely strong.

Is jones a better player in 2021? 2022? I’m hopeful not. Diggs certainly has the pure talent to surpass him. Looking at it in terms of straight ints is a waste though.

The Dolphins are playing really good defense when Byron hasn’t been injured this year.

Dallas? We suck.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The novice thinks it's all about picks :facepalm:

Byron didn't give it up, Diggs is loose with it. Now I like both of them, but I'd rather have a CB not giving up any TDs and holding a WR to under 50 yards...oppose to getting a pick and giving up 100 yards and a TD...just me.

When you play New Orleans and you know you have a corner that can take out Michael Thomas like Byron Jones did then what else do you want?

Not enuff picks tho!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
BJ was good very solid but no way you keep him at the price MIA gave him..his stat lines joke hes done nothing in MIA so far and you cant pay elite money for just solid..we already have enough targets on our team from fans around here saying players arent earning the new deals..BJ had no shot..you had to let him walk..

Miami has a winning record and a top 10 defense, so apparently you can win with paying him.

he’s getting about $16mm per year right now. Don’t sign Anthony brown, cut Crawford and you’ve almost paid for BJs salary for 2020. That’s an over simplified example, I agree, but you can typically pay your guys if you make good decisions with the rest of the roster.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Miami has a winning record and a top 10 defense, so apparently you can win with paying him.

he’s getting about $16mm per year right now. Don’t sign Anthony brown, cut Crawford and you’ve almost paid for BJs salary for 2020. That’s an over simplified example, I agree, but you can typically pay your guys if you make good decisions with the rest of the roster.

hes being covered up im saying WE didnt sign him for good reason and hes missed what 3-4 games with MIA this year and his stat line is sad..Fans cry about JS who is top 5 in tackles but doesnt play all world for his contract size, BJ would be the exact type player and the DC FO were smart to let him walk..

the MIA defense was already good they got on roll end of last season when everyone thought they were tankig..BJ is NOT why they are good,,hes solid player no doubt hes not great nor elite..his deal is elite money for just good layer.we have far too many of those weighing down the cap..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When you play New Orleans and you know you have a corner that can take out Michael Thomas like Byron Jones did then what else do you want?

Not enuff picks tho!
He did a pretty good job against Gronk too, IIRC.