Disappointment of Demarcus Lawrence

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of the most unlikable players on the team. I don't know how anyone can like this guy after the stunt he pulled to get his contract.

Bidness is bidness. Lawrence used the negotiating edge he had.

It was a failure of both Jerry and DeMarcus to get the surgery done early enough to not hurt production during the season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
disappointing sack #'s given the contract but he didn't play badly. He was still a force. It doesn't all show up on the stat sheet.

Having said that, I hope a new regime humbles him a few pegs. He can & should be better & cut out all the crap.

I'm sorry but yes he played poorly, you dish out that kind of money you expect major impact, I see other top DE and OLB who face double team and yet still produce at a high level who produce the numbers. I will not make any excuses for Lawrence his play needs to show vast improvement given the elite money he is making. Cowboys gave the big money and it is his job to go out and show why he deserved it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree, it is frustrating knowing a player has the talent to produce at a top level yet turns around after a contract that make him the highest paid DE in the NFL give us little to nothing on the season. Yeah I hope to see Nolan light some kind of fire under DLaw

Intentionally or otherwise, he's very much looking like a self-centered, 'me' guy. One that puts himself and 'getting his' above all else. And a guy who lack the awareness to see the consequences of his actions. I don't think his on-field drive waned, or that he was 'lazy', I just think that he got more full of himself and stopped listening. His hustle was still there, certainly against the run, but his pass rush sucked. There's simply no excuse for being routinely handled by one backup lineman after another. And worse yet, ignoring your responsibilities in selling out for that sack and then being the reason why the quarterback got heat another first down and ran downfield for 20 yards. So much of that was on him.

Contract or not, this new staff isn't beholden to him. He's not 'their guy'. They'll try to make it work with him, but if it doesn't, it's not their fault. They neither drafted him nor paid him. I fully expect huge investments to be made to reshape our entire defense, and while they certainly can't get rid of Lawrence over the next two years, that doesn't mean they're totally stuck either.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bidness is bidness. Lawrence used the negotiating edge he had.

It was a failure of both Jerry and DeMarcus to get the surgery done early enough to not hurt production during the season.

Ridiculous. Lawrence played the entire season in 2018 with the injury and was going to do it again in 2019. He should have been immediately shipped out of Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Intentionally or otherwise, he's very much looking like a self-centered, 'me' guy. One that puts himself and 'getting his' above all else. And a guy who lack the awareness to see the consequences of his actions. I don't think his on-field drive waned, or that he was 'lazy', I just think that he got more full of himself and stopped listening. His hustle was still there, certainly against the run, but his pass rush sucked. There's simply no excuse for being routinely handled by one backup lineman after another. And worse yet, ignoring your responsibilities in selling out for that sack and then being the reason why the quarterback got heat another first down and ran downfield for 20 yards. So much of that was on him.

Contract or not, this new staff isn't beholden to him. He's not 'their guy'. They'll try to make it work with him, but if it doesn't, it's not their fault. They neither drafted him nor paid him. I fully expect huge investments to be made to reshape our entire defense, and while they certainly can't get rid of Lawrence over the next two years, that doesn't mean they're totally stuck either.

I don't disagree, yet now Cowboys have made the investment and can't easily get out from under it so it will fall to Nolan and his defensive staff to find a way to get Lawrence to play to his ability.

morasp

Reaction score
I was also a little disappointed in Zeke, seemed pretty hot and cold. For all the training he was doing during his holdout he seemed to take a long time to get going this year. It could just be me but it seemed like if Pollard had a good run 5+ yards Zeke was running back on the field to replace him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree, yet now Cowboys have made the investment and can't easily get out from under it so it will fall to Nolan and his defensive staff to find a way to get Lawrence to play to his ability.

They need to try and make it work for sure. It's nit like the guy is a bum who can't play. Tomsula reinvigorated the career of DE Justin Smith in San Francisco, so I'm hopeful that he can do the same for Lawrence.

D4KADON

Reaction score
I was also a little disappointed in Zeke, seemed pretty hot and cold. For all the training he was doing during his holdout he seemed to take a long time to get going this year. It could just be me but it seemed like if Pollard had a good run 5+ yards Zeke was running back on the field to replace him.

I honestly do not understand this sentiment at all. The dude had 1300 yards and had 13 overall touchdowns and was in the top 4 in the league this year in rushing. Meanwhile Pollard, who i like, is just good and turned over the ball on the most costly game of the year.

snapper

Reaction score
My issue with Lawrence is all the Hotboyz stupidity. Where does that group get off promoting themselves as a modern Doomsday D? It is beyond ridiculous. They should all just shut up and play. Earn a nickname.

More like Wombsday defense; they curl up into the fetal position in the face of adversity.

Just kidding. I think Lawrence will benefit from a stud DT blowing up the middle so the QB cannot step up and avoid his rush.

DJordan23

Reaction score
He didn't force anything, Jerry didn't have to sign him. The lack of an elite DT hurt him, I never questioned his hustle. But, I get where you're coming from.
My beef with D Law is that he used the shoulder surgery as a bargaining chip in his negotiations...in doing that, it worked out for him financially but it cost him in performance because the guy was never fully healthy all season. I feel as though he had the late surgery and rushed back to try and live up to contract and it didn't work out all that well for him...that's why in the Skins game dude shut it down before the half and put on a sweatsuit.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm sure some are going to chime in that sacks aren't everything. And they're not.

But Lawrence's numbers are down about 30% across the board compared to last year.

Solos, Assists, TFLs, QB Hits, Hurries, Pressures. Only QB Knock Downs are the same at 10.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawrDe00.htm

All true.

But then again, a lot of guys on defense had worse years than last year which makes me wonder about the two knuckleheads in charge of the defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
My beef with D Law is that he used the shoulder surgery as a bargaining chip in his negotiations...in doing that, it worked out for him financially but it cost him in performance because the guy was never fully healthy all season. I feel as though he had the late surgery and rushed back to try and live up to contract and it didn't work out all that well for him...that's why in the Skins game dude shut it down before the half and put on a sweatsuit.

Agreed.

The shoulder surgery leverage move rubbed me the wrong way too.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
disappointing sack #'s given the contract but he didn't play badly. He was still a force. It doesn't all show up on the stat sheet.

Having said that, I hope a new regime humbles him a few pegs. He can & should be better & cut out all the crap.

Agree... he's still a damn good player IMO.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

I agree. I don't buy everything Sturm says because he can act like the smartest guy in the room...but all year on Twitter he got Tank questions and he'd post video that showed he never quit on plays and was not lazy. So I think people are off on some of that. With that said here are my pros and cons

Pros:

1) As I said above I've seen video posted to dispute much here about him just being bad and it includes plays where he is pursuing backside and still running to the far sideline to make plays, etc. Effort wasn't an issue. He was hustling. BUT that is the only Pro I can give him

Cons

1) We paid him to sack people and to put pressure on the QB so despite the above effort, he didn't do his main jop

2) As some have pointed out...you are also paid to be an impact player....which includes sacks, turnovers, tackles for loss....and he didn't have many impact games

3) Talks too much. One of the guys who was alwaus saying they were better than they were and who had empty messages. This is one thing from the Garrett era I hated the most....too much talk.

Overall he still had games where his contribution was better than most on an overrated D, it just wasn't impactful to change games or to lead a D.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They need to try and make it work for sure. It's nit like the guy is a bum who can't play. Tomsula reinvigorated the career of DE Justin Smith in San Francisco, so I'm hopeful that he can do the same for Lawrence.

I'm with you. I tend to get less mad at a player who may be limited in his talent but will play all out vs a guy that I know has the talent level to be a top player yet fails to play to his ability. People love to make Jeff Heath a whipping boy but I will hand it to Heath he plays all out and I respect that. Does not mean I would not continue to find a better talent for the position but again I respect how he goes out and gives his all. It is harder for me to accept piss poor play from a guy who is getting paid as a top player yet not producing and not making the game changing plays you expect from a top player

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All true.

But then again, a lot of guys on defense had worse years than last year which makes me wonder about the two knuckleheads in charge of the defense.

Same two knuckleheads were there last year. And in terms of yards per drive and points per drive, the defense was indistinguishable from last year.

With Quinn opposite him Lawrence should have had a *better* year. Quinn took almost as many double teams as Lawrence did.