DLaw looking for 6 years, $140 mil with $85 garuanteed

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if it is after July 15th he can only sign a 1 year deal with any team...... even Dallas

That being said do you think there's a "drop-dead" date Dallas is looking at for him considering the supposed 3-month recovery time?

In my view, I think they would want him participating fully in camp by August 15.

Back that up 3 months and we're looking at May 15.

Brax

Reaction score
DLaw can negotiate with other teams.... if they reach a deal then the 2 teams work out the trade details

DLaw then signs the deal as the trade is called in.... it happens all at once
Dlaw can NOT negotiate with any other teams without the DC approval. I think your thinking of the Transition tag.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dlaw can NOT negotiate with any other teams without the DC approval. I think your thinking of the Transition tag.

This is exactly right. However, his agent will know who is interested, assuming anybody actually is. Then, the Cowboys could discuss options directly or give permission to DLaw to negotiate in good faith.

ksg811

Reaction score

Nope, no approval is needed to negotiate with other teams. Dallas placed the non-exclusive tag on him.

Brax

Reaction score
But if it is after July 15th he can only sign a 1 year deal with any team...... even Dallas
After a player is tagged they have until July 16 at 4 p.m. EDT to come to terms on a multi–year deal with their respective teams ( no more negotiations after only signing the tender will work) , Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent. If a player is a FA he can sign anywhere for any time frame ( if franchise tag rescinded on July 16 he can sign any where for any amount of time). you need to check your source.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the tag is rescinded before he signs the offer sheet then he automatically becomes a free agent.

Which, IMO, is exactly what he and his agent want. They want to be on the open market because they believe that if he is free, he stands a much better chance of getting the kind of paycheck each of them want. If he is still tagged, no team is going to pay 20 mil plus and give up pick to get him. I would, under no circumstances, lift the tag. Let him sit the season, it won't cost us any cap. If Quinn really is a one year deal, then we can easily go out and sign another guy and a DT and be cool.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That being said do you think there's a "drop-dead" date Dallas is looking at for him considering the supposed 3-month recovery time?

In my view, I think they would want him participating fully in camp by August 15.

Back that up 3 months and we're looking at May 15.
July 15th is the date

He either signs a new deal or he signs the FranTag or Dallas pulls it

He then gets the surgery and comes back in Sept

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
After a player is tagged they have until July 16 at 4 p.m. EDT to come to terms on a multi–year deal with their respective teams ( no more negotiations after only signing the tender will work) , Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent. If a player is a FA he can sign anywhere for any time frame ( if franchise tag rescinded on July 16 he can sign any where for any amount of time). you need to check your source.
no you need to check your sources

you are getting it severely wrong on all counts