DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Jerry and Jason are continuing to build their 2009 coaching staff.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Rack;1930156 said:
So we're going from one of the better secondary coaches in the NFL, Todd Bowles, to this...

Bowles was good at something?! Damn shame we couldn't figure out what it was.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Look guys.... the trips to Seaworld should do wonders for improving the morale and agressiveness of this secondary.

Top 5 next year, book it.

:duck:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1930197 said:
Obviously it would be a first in Cowboy history...but I wonder if it's happened elsewhere before.

That a former HC comes back to his former team years later as a position coach.

Anyone?
Gunther Cunningham went from head coach to later defensive coordinator in Kansas City.

So with Campo back in the fold, maybe we can move training camp to Sea World Orlando.

Edit: Man you guys are fast, my not-so-witty comments were trumped before I could hit save. Curse you all!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Campo coming back as a secondary coach sounds good to me. He was the secondary coach with the Hurricans under Jimmy and was the secondary coach during the SB runs at Dallas.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If we do hire him, let's not act like he was our first choice. He clearly wasn't.

I guess the only guy I definitely know I'd rather have would be Mel Phillips from Miami. But at this point, some of the people we like aren't available, so what are you going to do?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
TheSkaven;1930268 said:
Gunther Cunningham went from head coach to later defensive coordinator in Kansas City.

So with Campo back in the fold, maybe we can move training camp to Sea World Orlando.

Edit: Man you guys are fast, my not-so-witty comments were trumped before I could hit save. Curse you all!

ConcordCowboy;1930255 said:
He's the DC not a position coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1930279 said:
If we do hire him, let's not act like he was our first choice. He clearly wasn't.

I guess the only guy I definitely know I'd rather have would be Mel Phillips from Miami. But at this point, some of the people we like aren't available, so what are you going to do?

I don't care if he was a 1st choice is he a good choice? I think he is and has had very good success as a coach of DB's

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I will reserve judgement on Dave till I see the job he does next season. I do know that I haven't been happy w/ our secondary for years. So change of any kind is probably good.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Chief;1930262 said:
Jerry and Jason are continuing to build their 2009 coaching staff.

Bingo. I'm afraid we've found our DC in '09 when Wade leaves.

For those saying Jerry said he is committed to the 3-4, just remember Jerry is a weather vane. He doesn't know football and he has no real philosophy for building a team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next off-season we will be hearing about how we have the perfect pieces to run the 4-3.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ex9000.gif

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1930308 said:

:laugh2:

In a thick Connecticut accent:

"We're going to roll up our sleeves, clock in, go to work and make strides. No excuses."

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1930284 said:
I don't care if he was a 1st choice is he a good choice? I think he is and has had very good success as a coach of DB's

He would be a good choice. It's not as if they are asking him to coordinate the defense.

As a position coach, he will be responsible for teaching technique within the scheme and making sure the DBs are in synch with the rest of the defense. His experience as a DC and HC, IMO, is a plus because he understands the big picture.

Now, do I see him capable of developing raw talent? Who knows. Personally, I think the talent (physically and mentally) has to exist in the player. He had some sucess with guys like Brown and Gant but who's to say he could have done anything with Jones and Reeves. His greatest strength was to take guys like FAs like Everett and Washington and incorporate them into the system.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;1930329 said:
He would be a good choice. It's not as if they are asking him to coordinate the defense.

As a position coach, he will be responsible for teaching technique within the scheme and making sure the DBs are in synch with the rest of the defense. His experience as a DC and HC, IMO, is a plus because he understands the big picture.

Now, do I see him capable of developing raw talent? Who knows. Personally, I think the talent (physically and mentally) has to exist in the player. He had some sucess with guys like Brown and Gant but who's to say he could have done anything with Jones and Reeves. His greatest strength was to take guys like FAs like Everett and Washington and incorporate them into the system.

That is why I brought up his time with the Hurricans he has coached DB dating back to college where teaching is even more critical. He also worked with a college LB and helped transform him into a top safety in Woodson.

Prior to becoming defensive coordinator on Jan. 24, 1995, Campo directed a secondary that had grown into one of the team's deepest and most productive units. His 1994 squad led the NFL in pass defense and tied for fourth in the NFL with 22 interceptions. All-Pro strong safety Darren Woodson became the first Dallas defensive back to earn a starting Pro Bowl berth since Everson Walls.

Campo, 60, was hired by Dallas in 1989 after spending two years at the University of Miami as the secondary coach. At Miami, he helped the Hurricanes to a two-year record of 23-1 and the 1987 National Championship. Safety Bennie Blades was the 1987 Jim Thorpe Award winner before being selected with the third pick in the NFL draft by the Detroit Lions.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1930284 said:

I agree. My point is to those who insist Jerry only wants to get the band back together. If the Falcons had let Emmitt Thomas loose, we wouldn't even be talking about Campo.

ddh33

Reaction score
If he's the guy, it wouldn't be terrible...except for the memories and the appearance that Jerry is rounding up all of his old buddies.

In this case, I really don't think it's fair because the candidates the team really wanted most, it seems, weren't available. If Campo is the best available out there, I don't see why it's a problem.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1930342 said:
I agree. My point is to those who insist Jerry only wants to get the band back together. If the Falcons had let Emmitt Thomas loose, we wouldn't even be talking about Campo.

I agree. We see that being spun right now. If Campo comes here it is because they feel he is a good assistant coach. I don't think Jerry wants to relive the bad all over again. I give Jerry allot more credit than that evidently some of the other fans feel different.

ddh33

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1930342 said:

Amen.