DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1930342 said:
I agree. My point is to those who insist Jerry only wants to get the band back together. If the Falcons had let Emmitt Thomas loose, we wouldn't even be talking about Campo.

It's possible that Son-of-Bum just really thinks Campo is a good coach. I'm sure at this point, he knows everyone in the league, or knows someone who knows all the people he doesn't know. Presumptuous to assume that Phillips would have nothing to do with this selection, if it comes down to it.

Maybe they're just trying to resurrect Roy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1930345 said:
Umm Campo is a very good assistant, some of you people need to think before quick responding...
Yeah, he is. I still wouldn't want him back. I have nothing against him personally at all. I just would prefer he not be part of this staff or the Cowboys.

It probably will happen. I'm not all that cool with it, but I'll shut up eventually.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
stealth;1930356 said:
his track record should speak volumes to that point

It should, but it doesn't. Not in a good way anyway.

If his track record "spoke volumes" then Jags wouldn't be allowing him to leave.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack;1930364 said:
It should, but it doesn't. Not in a good way anyway.

If his track record "spoke volumes" then Jags wouldn't be allowing him to leave.

I don't know why they let him leave but the Jags were tied for 3rd in the NFL in Ints

Reaction score
Hostile;1930362 said:
Yeah, he is. I still wouldn't want him back. I have nothing against him personally at all. I just would prefer he not be part of this staff or the Cowboys.

It probably will happen. I'm not all that cool with it, but I'll shut up eventually.

I understand your personal feelings... :laugh2: but didn't the guy guide the secondary and defense during the 90's glory days?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hostile;1930362 said:

I listen to James Washington on Fox Sports Radio and he calls Campo the best position coach/coordinator he ever had.

sacase

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1930286 said:
Bingo. I'm afraid we've found our DC in '09 when Wade leaves.

For those saying Jerry said he is committed to the 3-4, just remember Jerry is a weather vane. He doesn't know football and he has no real philosophy for building a team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next off-season we will be hearing about how we have the perfect pieces to run the 4-3.

In all fairness, I think Jerry knows football better than a majority of fans. He lives it everyday.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Danny White;1930373 said:
I listen to James Washington on Fox Sports Radio and he calls Campo the best position coach/coordinator he ever had.
That says volumes, really.

I've been saying all weekend that Campo as db coach would be a solid hire. Not a sexy hire like Thomas or Thurman or even Gray. But a solid one nonetheless.

I've done some research on his track record, (interspersed through a variety of threads) and for the overwhelmingly for the most part, Campo's pass defenses have been among the League's upper half and often top 10.

I have full conifdence in Dave if he gets the job.

superpunk

Reaction score

Say word.

Woods

Reaction score
sacase;1930374 said:
In all fairness, I think Jerry knows football better than a majority of fans. He lives it everyday.

If WE ALL are sick of being reminded of the 5-11 records, imagine how JJ feels?

Heck, he lived through it minute by minute. It probably hurt his ego, definitely hurt his wallet, and it made him face facts that he (JJ) needed help to build the franchise.

And yet, JJ is interviewing Campo for the Secondary as a position coach.

As much as JJ must dislike Campo as a HC, he must really think something of him as a position coach (unless this was all Wade's idea :D ), otherwise why re-live the terrible memories?

Maybe of the candidates AVAILABLE, JJ recognizes that Campo is a quality teacher and an excellent Secondary coach?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

Bah... I'm sure Bach and UseYourIllusion know better than he does.

Boysboy

Reaction score
jwhardin;1930241 said:
Look how great the secondary has played under Bowles at the worst under Campo it will be status quo. I am quite sure if they could have got Thomas. Thurman or Gray they would have.

Again-we tried to get Thomas and Thurman, but their respective teams didn't grant us permission.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Rack;1930156 said:
So we're going from one of the better secondary coaches in the NFL, Todd Bowles, to this...

Pollyanna.jpg

Can someone explain to me what happened with Dennis Thurman?!

I understand the fears that come with Campo. But he will definitely not be a coordinator of any kind. Just a positions coach. I think he could do a pretty good job in the secondary.

Plus, as the season wore on, our secondary wasn't doing much but getting beat on by the likes of Donovan, Commanders backup QB, and Eli. Heck, even Kitna had a field day against us. Maybe Todd Bowles wasn't doing his job after all.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Didn't Haley pretty much call Campo a coward and a joke in his autobiography?

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
I cannot believe the negativity surrounding Camps! He's not in the running for DC or HC, is he? IMO, Bowles, while he seemed to be well liked by the players, didn't exactly set the world on fire with our current DBs, so why the disdain for Dave C.? Our secondary was probably our worst unit, team-wise, last season so I believe ANY change cannot make it any worse! Besides, isn't this the same guy who coached the DBs during our Super Bowl run in the 90s?! Any position coach who also has been a coordinator or Head Coach is a plus because they're more in-tune with how the TOTAL defensive unit works together...not just his specific position.