DMN BLOG: Do you keep Tank Johnson?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't know why Watkins thinks either. The Cowboys took a chance on Johnson when nobody else would, so there may be some type of gratitude going on. Plus, Wade plays an attacking style of defense which is what most D-Linemen like...even if we do play the 3-4 (it's still a 1 gap scheme).

On the flip side, it's easy to say "oh, he hasn't produced like we thought, so we need to get rid of him and we'll just get somebody better" and then actually do it. Jerry Jones and most teams know this as well. There's no guarantee that a replacement will play better or won't take time to learn the system or won't get injured. So if the coaching staff feels comfortable with bringing him back and he's not too costly, they'll likely want him back...if not just for depth purposes.

YAKUZA

CutMeMick

Reaction score
I'm really surprised Tank's been a non-factor this season.
The guy was a stud with Da Bears!
But, as someone said, the 3-4 style just hasn't suited him!
Maybe another year in the scheme would do wonders, but he'll never
get that with Boyz!
No way you bring him back, IMHO!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2524978 said:
He's been so ordinary and will get paid so little, it probably doesn't matter.

I'd probably rather let him go and replace him in the draft, but if we keep him for a small deal, that's okay, too.

The thing about that kind of thinking is that you might not end up with a player as good as the one you let go. I agree that Dallas should only offer him a small deal, but I definitely think they should offer him one. Then, bring in competition for his spot and if he is beaten out so be it.

I never understand why we think we can just replace someone in the draft. It's too hit and miss to be relied on for that.

Now, I would be for getting a true/better NT in free agency, moving Ratliff to DE and letting Johnson just walk, but otherwise, we should at least make a small attempt to keep him ... and Canty too.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
gimmesix;2525024 said:
The thing about that kind of thinking is that you might not end up with a player as good as the one you let go. I agree that Dallas should only offer him a small deal, but I definitely think they should offer him one. Then, bring in competition for his spot and if he is beaten out so be it.

I never understand why we think we can just replace someone in the draft. It's too hit and miss to be relied on for that.

Now, I would be for getting a true/better NT in free agency, moving Ratliff to DE and letting Johnson just walk, but otherwise, we should at least make a small attempt to keep him ... and Canty too.

I hear you, and I would agree except for Tank's troubled background. I was all for bringing him in, because he was cheap and it sounded to me like a fairly intelligent guy who'd finally gotten it. Or at least gotten it a lot more than a guy like Pacman. But I expected him to play better, too.

So I'd be fine with whatever they decided, as long as they don't overpay. But I'd still be a tiny bit wary that one DUI and he could be off the team.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2524967 said:
It's interesting that Chris Canty hasn't been re-signed. I wonder what's going on there.
Based on what I've read, negotiations have been tabled until after the season.

They'd had discussion off/on throughout the season and then from what I recall, Cowboys ended them by suggesting they talk after the season.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Tank can go for all I care unless he comes back for vet min.

As for Canty I'd like him back but it depends on the price.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't think Tank had the build or the selfless minset for the NT position and it looks like that was the case.

It's not his fault though, he's an attacking 4-3 DT who would do much better in a Tampa-2 defense.

Maybe he'll be another Gruden reclamation project.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
yea i think tank will depart.

he gets lumped in with pacman when discussing the problem children jerry has brought in but it appears to me that tank has been a good soldier in dallas.

he won't make big $$ but i think he will have a few teams that will be willing to bring him in at this point.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
theebs;2524929 said:
December 26, 2008

Do you keep Tank Johnson?

5:15 PM Fri, Dec 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

I asked Mr. Johnson today if he wants to come back for the 2009 season. Johnson is in the last year of a two-year deal he signed last year when the club grabbed him off the waiver wire.
Johnson said he's not looking too far ahead but there is concern about bringing him back.
Johnson has 45 tackles this season, 11th on the team and has three tackles for loss, tied for fifth on the team.
Is that good enough to bring back for another season?
I doubt Johnson wants to return here and I doubt the Cowboys want him back.

Good riddance dead weight.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
gimmesix;2525024 said:

The problem with that thinking is that you're assuming the Cowboys have no budgetary or salary cap limitations.

Jones can't keep spending like there's no tomorrow on JAGs like Canty and Johnson. There's a possibility that there will be a salary cap in the future, and every Columbo-like waste of $ takes away financial flexibility.

links18

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2524938 said:
Guy looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Has had a very very poor season.

You wouldn't have expected such a poor season from this guy from his performance in Hard Knocks :laugh2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
links18;2525222 said:
You wouldn't have expected such a poor season from this guy from his performance in Hard Knocks :laugh2:

I was one of the few that didn't believe the hype and unfortunately I was right. :(

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
He'll want a pay day, so I doubt we will hang on to him. Which means we will look for a backup DT in the DRaft.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lose him.

If nobody bites when he tests the waters, give him the min. and let him be strictly backup and or camp fodder.

But only for the minimum, which I do doubt his ego could accept.

links18

Reaction score
What type of contract do you think JJ would have given this guy after 8 games last season, assuming his original deal was only for one year?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2525191 said:
The problem with that thinking is that you're assuming the Cowboys have no budgetary or salary cap limitations.

Jones can't keep spending like there's no tomorrow on JAGs like Canty and Johnson. There's a possibility that there will be a salary cap in the future, and every Columbo-like waste of $ takes away financial flexibility.

Salary cap limitations would not prevent Dallas from offering Johnson a contract of, say, $1 million base salary with a roster bonus and incentives or even a two-year contract with a small signing bonus like $500,000.

If Dallas cut him under those conditions, then the salary cap hit would be minimal.

I'm certainly not talking about giving him Colombo-like money. Colombo has earned it, Johnson has to fight for a roster spot.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2525032 said:
I hear you, and I would agree except for Tank's troubled background. I was all for bringing him in, because he was cheap and it sounded to me like a fairly intelligent guy who'd finally gotten it. Or at least gotten it a lot more than a guy like Pacman. But I expected him to play better, too.

So I'd be fine with whatever they decided, as long as they don't overpay. But I'd still be a tiny bit wary that one DUI and he could be off the team.

As long as we keep it cheap his background won't be a problem. If someone wants to take more of a financial risk on him, then don't try to match it.

I just don't believe in letting go of what you've got until you know what you've got as a replacement. There is only so far you can go with that financially, but I'd at least make an effort ... either that or just go out in free agency and find the type of NT we need (but that will certainly be expensive).