DMN Blog: Mike Jenkins: 'I was just waiting on the safety to make a play'

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Even if this situation were excusable, there shouldn't be any excuses being made. Seems like excuses are contagious lately.

superpunk

Reaction score
ddh33;2403455 said:
Doesn't matter what he says...especially to Tim McMahon, who has made so many big hits in his playing career.

Anyway, Jenkins has shown that he will hit, so I'm willing to believe he just screwed up. It just can't happen again. It doesn't make a career, folks.
Amen.

It really sucked to see that happen, especially in a blowout - kind of like when Tnew got trucked by Cooley when Tnew tried to make a pathetic tackle and I believe got knocked the hell out against the Skins in a blowout - but this won't be his defining moment. It sucked to see, but I don't think it requires excessive raking over the coals. He didn't chicken out, he just made a conscious decision that he wasn't needed in the play, IMO.

Unfortunately for him, he was wrong, because the inside pursuit was incompetent.

Looking forward to a good finish from Jenkins.

ddh33

Reaction score
Jenkins may not have made a strong case for his excuse to the team. There are a lot of people who can tell me that I made a mistake, and I apologize and fess up. Some people can try to call me out, and it just irks me to no end.

I've got a hunch that Timmy M. isn't exactly the kind of guy some of these players feel like explaining themselves too. Just as long as he does the right thing in the lockerroom, filmroom, and on the field.

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
Although I was mad as hell when that play happend. I'm giving him a rookie pass this time and besides Ward should've been tackled before he got to that level anyway.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
superpunk;2403488 said:
Amen.

It really sucked to see that happen, especially in a blowout - kind of like when Tnew got trucked by Cooley when Tnew tried to make a pathetic tackle and I believe got knocked the hell out against the Skins in a blowout - but this won't be his defining moment. It sucked to see, but I don't think it requires excessive raking over the coals. He didn't chicken out, he just made a conscious decision that he wasn't needed in the play, IMO.

Unfortunately for him, he was wrong, because the inside pursuit was incompetent.

Looking forward to a good finish from Jenkins.

That's about the way I see it too. He was concerned about containment and made a rookie mistake. My first thought after seeing the play live was, where the heck was the pursuit. I didn't even really notice Jenkin's lack of effort until the replay.

I'm willing to give the rook the benefit of the doubt. He better not screw it up though!

As far as his answers to a reporter go. I wouldn't give any of those jerks a straight answer anytime. Screw those vultures.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
are you serious?!?! Waiting for the saftey? To do what? Tackle him once he reached the endzone???? Your back was up against the wall buddy!

Great attitude...pass the buck. Why should *I* tackle him...let the saftey take care of him or come up and help me first. Maybe I'm being harsh but good grief. Your team's down by 2 scores, you have a shot to hold them...you throw your body into the guy and hope it slows him down enough so the saftey can help.

They need to sit Jenkins and the whole defense down and show them the footage of Don Beebe running down Leon Lett in the Super Bowl so they can see what a never quit, whistle to whistle attitude looks like

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2403469 said:
:rolleyes:

Funny how Scandrick hasn't been paying attention to those lessons.

Not yet anyway. Scandrick seems like a confident, highly-motivated player. Hopefully some of the bad habits this team has don't rub off on him.

But if you're trying to dispute the lack of accountability on this team, let me know.

links18

Reaction score
Pathetic how so many fans want to try to make excuses for this guy as well. It doesn't matter, he HAS TO try to make that tackle, regardless of who else is there. That is what he gets paid to do. Then he fails to take responsibility. The culture of this team is rotten, from the top down and will take a long time to fix.:(

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
His "explanation" doesn't surprise me a bit.

That's about what I expected to hear.

aikemirv

Reaction score
links18;2403527 said:
Pathetic how so many fans want to try to make excuses for this guy as well. It doesn't matter, he HAS TO try to make that tackle, regardless of who else is there. That is what he gets paid to do. Then he fails to take responsibility. The culture of this team is rotten, from the top down and will take a long time to fix.:(

Nope. Just one preseason with a good coach.

Prime example is Haslett and the Rams. He took over and the culture changed immediately!

Jenkins is just an easy target for the fans and media who are fed up!

Section446

Reaction score
I'm willing to give the guy a pass. He screwed up, he knows it, most rookies do.

daboys79

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2403382 said:
12:38 PM Wed, Nov 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

We gave Mike Jenkins an opportunity to explain his non-contact actions on Giants RB Derrick Ward's fourth-quarter touchdown run. The rookie didn't come across as a guy who regretted his decision.

"I was just waiting on the safety to make a play," Jenkins said. "It just looked different. I really can't explain it."

When pressed, Jenkins said he thought he might knock down LB Kevin Burnett if he cut Ward's legs out from under him. That would seem to be a better alternative than letting Ward prance into the end zone. Would he do anything different if that situation presented itself again?

"I'd say go get the tackle," said Jenkins, who is well aware that he's been criticized for avoiding contact over the last few days. "That'd be the right answer."

Well, it sure looked like he intentionally avoided contact. When asked if that was the case, Jenkins said, "That's what it looked like. That's your eyes. If that's what you seen, that's what you seen." And then he threw a teammate under the bus, too.

"I wasn't the only one there," Jenkins said. "Everybody's pointing it out like it was me, but there was a safety back there, too."

The safety was Courtney Brown, who has made a grand total of two tackles all season despite getting significant playing time. A wait on Brown to make a play could last more than a month.

CB Anthony Henry said some veterans got on Jenkins immediately after the play about his effort. Jenkins said nobody had said anything to him. Well, was his effort acceptable?

"Obviously not," Jenkins said, "because y'all are going to have your own opinion, no matter what."

Sounds like a Wade comment to me. It didn't take lone for Wade to rub off on the rookies either.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FWST Blog

Jenkins explains missed tackle
The video of Cowboys rookie cornerback Mike Jenkins and his embarrassing missed tackle against Giants running back Derrick Ward will be hard to live down. He tried to explain what happened on the play Wednesday. But no excuse really matters, but he did come up with something. He said he didn't want to take out linebacker Kevin Burnett, who was also trying to make the tackle and missed.

Does that excuse work for you?

"I just didn't go for the tackle," Jenkins said.

- Rick Herrin

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
superpunk;2403444 said:
His explanation actually makes sense if you watch the video from the sideline/endzone cam - and that was really the only thing I saw. He thought Burnett was going to make the tackle, and it looked like he would, but I think Burnett got cut off by Brown. It really makes sense if you watch it - these things happen in a split second. It doesn't look like Jenkins was flinching away from contact - he had merely made the decision that adding himself to the tackle that he assumed was being made by Burnett and Brown was unnecessary.

That doesn't excuse it, and I certainly don't like the way he just throws the unnamed safety under the bus, I do see it as a reasonable explanation. Hopefully he works hard to shed the label that's going to be associated with his name now.
I agree. I don't want to make excuses for the soft team, but he looked confused as to what was happening, for whatever reason.

I thought he was expecting the RB to cut wide, and when he didn't he was totally fooled.

Regardless, Jenkins has otherwise looked very good. There's a lot of things not to like about this team, but ripping Jenkins over one play doesn't make much sense to me.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
daboys79;2403552 said:
Sounds like a Wade comment to me. It didn't take lone for Wade to rub off on the rookies either.
Roy Williams was doing that long before Wade Phillips ever got to Dallas.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2403482 said:
Even if this situation were excusable, there shouldn't be any excuses being made. Seems like excuses are contagious lately.

excuses are like butt cracks every1 got one.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stasheroo;2403506 said:
Not yet anyway. Scandrick seems like a confident, highly-motivated player. Hopefully some of the bad habits this team has don't rub off on him.

But if you're trying to dispute the lack of accountability on this team, let me know.

"Accountability" has to be the most overused buzzword on this forum.

If Jenkins had made a habit of this so far and no one had said anything to him about it, you would have a point. But that's not the case.

Like Chief (and I and a few others) have said, Jenkins had this rep even in college. I don't think Wade gave it to him.

Now if you want to make an argument that he shouldn't have been drafted in the first place, that's perfectly legit... Even if it is a little early for that.