DMN Blog: Mike Jenkins: 'I was just waiting on the safety to make a play'

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
can we have at least ONE first round pick not labeled as a bust his rookie season?

guys. rookie. rookie. rookie.

they make these mistakes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2403578 said:
"Accountability" has to be the most overused buzzword on this forum.

Again, is it inaccurate?

Chocolate Lab said:
If Jenkins had made a habit of this so far and no one had said anything to him about it, you would have a point. But that's not the case.

Like Chief (and I and a few others) have said, Jenkins had this rep even in college. I don't think Wade gave it to him.

And good ol' Wade has certainly done nothing to get it out of him either, huh?

Chocolate Lab said:
Now if you want to make an argument that he shouldn't have been drafted in the first place, that's perfectly legit... Even if it is a little early for that.

It's most definitely too early for that.

I look at it as a rookie who made a big mistake, hopefully one he won't make again.

But it would have helped his case if he had simply admitted it and moved on without all the rest.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
stasheroo;2403598 said:
Again, is it inaccurate?

It kind of is. Where is the evidence that there is a lack of accountability? What does it really mean, because I haven't heard a definition for it?

I don't really care that much if Jenkins didn't try to tackle a guy in a blowout.

1) He's a rookie.
2) It was a blowout.

What happened if he tried to tackle him and dislocated a shoulder? Would people be just as upset? Probably, except the argument would be turned around.

What the hell was a rookie doing trying to tackle the guy in a blowout? We're already thin at CB. Sheesh.

DTK

Reaction score
187beatdown;2403585 said:
can we have at least ONE first round pick not labeled as a bust his rookie season?

guys. rookie. rookie. rookie.

they make these mistakes.
I totally understand that rookies make mistakes. I can live with physical mistakes and some mental mistakes. But to simply NOT GIVE AN EFFORT is not a mistake. That is CHARACTER and his true colors are yellow.

Bill Bates would have tried to tackle a charging Bull for the Star and Bates doesn't have an ounce of talent that this guy has. I'll take 1 Billy Bates over 10 Mike Jenkins any day of the week and especially on Sunday.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
superpunk;2403444 said:
His explanation actually makes sense if you watch the video from the sideline/endzone cam - and that was really the only thing I saw. He thought Burnett was going to make the tackle, and it looked like he would, but I think Burnett got cut off by Brown. It really makes sense if you watch it - these things happen in a split second. It doesn't look like Jenkins was flinching away from contact - he had merely made the decision that adding himself to the tackle that he assumed was being made by Burnett and Brown was unnecessary.

That doesn't excuse it, and I certainly don't like the way he just throws the unnamed safety under the bus, I do see it as a reasonable explanation. Hopefully he works hard to shed the label that's going to be associated with his name now.

I don't fault him because when I saw the replay it was clear to me that Jenkins stood pat to maintain his outside contain, and was in position to make the play had the ball carrier cut his run outside. Instead, because Jenkins was not giving up the outside the ball carrier cut inside and the LB and S simply missed the tackle.

Now, Jernkins is probably at fault some for taking a passive rather than an active appraoch for the tackle. It just seems that he had a decision to make and decided to hold the outside contain. Perhpas it was simply a poor decision on his part. But then let's call this what it is: a poor decision; and let's not make it into something it is not by saying he quit on the play. He did not. He just made a rookie mistake.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SultanOfSix;2403605 said:
It kind of is. Where is the evidence that there is a lack of accountability? What does it really mean, because I haven't heard a definition for it?

Despite this team struggling to a pathetic 5-4 record, nothing has changed, not the underachieving players, and not the routine of taking it easy and the 'well get 'em next time' attitude of the head coach.

Therefore the lousy results will remain the same too. I guess all that will be made clearer after Coach Cupcake is fired after this season.

SultanOfSix said:
I don't really care that much if Jenkins didn't try to tackle a guy in a blowout.

1) He's a rookie.
2) It was a blowout.

What happened if he tried to tackle him and dislocated a shoulder? Would people be just as upset? Probably, except the argument would be turned around.

What the hell was a rookie doing trying to tackle the guy in a blowout? We're already thin at CB. Sheesh.

Yeah, that'd be the result.

Using your 'logic' nobody should tackle anybody 'for fear of injury'.

Any more gems?

:shoot5:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Exactly.

No one has any evidence that there's no "accountability" on this team... Unless you take press conference comments at face value, which is ridiculous. Wade is far from the only coach who doesn't call players out in public -- but that doesn't mean they don't behind closed doors.

The truth is, none of us know what goes on in the meeting room or on the practice field. When I get some hard evidence that players are not being called out for making mistakes in the film room or on the field, then I'll agree about a lack of accountability.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
stasheroo;2403615 said:
Despite this team struggling to a pathetic 5-4 record, nothing has changed, not the underachieving players, and not the routine of taking it easy and the 'well get 'em next time' attitude of the head coach.

Therefore the lousy results will remain the same too. I guess all that will be made clearer after Coach Cupcake is fired after this season.

Nothing has changed in the results. That doesn't mean nothing has changed. Accountability entails owning up to the responsibility of your actions. As far as I know, Wade has said repeatedly that he should be held accountable for not having the guys prepared. So, what does it mean when players aren't being held accountable? How would we know except if someone is possibly benched to know if they are being held accountable?

Was there any difference last year when we were 7-1 in how things were being run? Or is it the results this year that is causing what someone else said is a buzzword of "accountability" to be thrown around?

Yeah, that'd be the result.

Using your 'logic' nobody should tackle anybody 'for fear of injury'.

Any more gems?

:shoot5:

Uhh...I didn't say that would be the result. My intention was to show that there would be people complaining about whatever happened regardless.

The same type of complaining happened when Joey Galloway suffered a season ending knee injury in a blowout against Philadelphia in the pickle juice game.

So he didn't decide to tackle someone in a blowout for whatever reason. He owned up to it. Who cares now?

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
talk about pathetic... instead of taking up accountability for his huge mistake he instead makes excuses and points fingers at his teammate. like i said last week jenkins has been solid but ive been much more impressed with Scandrick's play and his confidence!

MrMom

Reaction score
Jenkins needs to watch this video.

[youtube]rnp8_LGbomg[/youtube]

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
daboys79;2403583 said:
Talking bout Jenkins not Roy
I was simply responding to the notion that Phillips taught these guys to blame each other.

It was taking place before Phillips ever got to Dallas.

SacredStar

Reaction score
superpunk;2403444 said:
His explanation actually makes sense if you watch the video from the sideline/endzone cam - and that was really the only thing I saw. He thought Burnett was going to make the tackle, and it looked like he would, but I think Burnett got cut off by Brown. It really makes sense if you watch it - these things happen in a split second. It doesn't look like Jenkins was flinching away from contact - he had merely made the decision that adding himself to the tackle that he assumed was being made by Burnett and Brown was unnecessary.

That doesn't excuse it, and I certainly don't like the way he just throws the unnamed safety under the bus, I do see it as a reasonable explanation. Hopefully he works hard to shed the label that's going to be associated with his name now.

I feel the same way.

MrMom

Reaction score
chinch;2403627 said:
Gay? response. what are you in 3rd grade back in 1972 Beavis.

I can't understand your broken grammar.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score

1) He's a rookie.
2) It was a blowout.

You're right. When it was 28-14 they should have just cancelled the rest of the game.

No one has ever come back from 14 points in the fourth quarter.

:bang2:

How about the sissy sticks his head in there on the football and creates a turnover which is returned for a TD.

Then what?

Then we are only down one TD and the last time I checked that was one play in an NFL game.

Your answer was worse than Jenkins' answer.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2403662 said:
You're right. When it was 28-14 they should have just cancelled the rest of the game.

No one has ever come back from 14 points in the fourth quarter.

:bang2:

How about the sissy sticks his head in there on the football and creates a turnover which is returned for a TD.

Then what?

Then we are only down one TD and the last time I checked that was one play in an NFL game.

Your answer was worse than Jenkins' answer.

Oh please. The way our QBs were playing, there was no way we were going to win that game.

Sorry, if you can't understand that, and can't forgive a ROOKIE for a non-tackle that would have had no result on the outcome of the game.

Should've, would've, could've makes no difference.

All I see is a bunch of blame heaped on a ROOKIE in a game where there wasn't anything to be happy about. It's silly.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2403642 said:
talk about pathetic... instead of taking up accountability for his huge mistake he instead makes excuses and points fingers at his teammate. like i said last week jenkins has been solid but ive been much more impressed with Scandrick's play and his confidence!

True. The shills and enablers are out in force today. I just love this notion that effort is somehow predicated on the scoreboard. If the game is a foregone conclusion, then you're somehow entitled to take off plays or blow off tackles. Funny how the Giants never stopped playing hard, despite the blowout.