WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo's not too concerned about turnovers
8:40 PM Sun, Oct 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tony Romo is not a bus driver, to use a Bill Parcells term. He's more of a NASCAR kind of guy who would rather live with the occasional fiery mistakes than take his foot off the gas.

Romo had two such screw-ups today, throwing a pick to extend his INT streak to eight games and losing a fumble after scrambling for a first down. Those turnovers led to a couple field goals, and the damage would have been much worse if the Cowboys' defense didn't come through after the Bengals got great field position.

Romo's response: So what?

"I am pretty sure we won the ballgame," he said when asked whether he was concerned with his turnovers. "If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good. Everyone strives for no turnovers, but there's no ways you are going to make plays sometimes if you don't trust it and just let it go."

It's tough to be too harsh in regards to Romo as long as his TD-to-turnover ratio stays in the 2-to-1 range. But one of his turnovers played a key role in the loss to the Commanders, and you wonder whether his problems protecting the ball will cost the Cowboys in a bigger game.

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I don't really like that answer. He needs to own up and say "I need to take better care of the ball. The defense can't keep picking up for me when these mistakes happen."

Hailmary

Reaction score
I like Romo and all, but his nonchalant responses to his turnovers are starting to irk me.

:mad:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think Romo will probably get overly criticized for the INT, but that was a great play by Rivers. The fumble really bothers me because he should know by now that players on defense will try to strip the ball from behind like they did and it was absolutely crucial to hold onto the ball because you don't want to give the Bengals any momentum before the half. Maybe he needs lessons from John Garrett on holding the ball high and tight.

YAKUZA

Hailmary

Reaction score
Paniolo22;2311290 said:
I don't really like that answer. He needs to own up and say "I need to take better care of the ball. The defense can't keep picking up for me when these mistakes happen."
:hammer:

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I think Romo will learn to protect the ball better. It's the INT's that are killing us. He has to stop forcing the ball into coverage.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love his nonchalant responses to hysteria over turnovers. The perfect temperament for a QB to have. The last thing you want is them to be stuck in the past. He moves one. That is great for this team.

He impresses me more all the time.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
HAHAHA! This is a riot. Do you guys really have any doubts that he'll try to improve his game? Just because he has a laid back attitude to the media doesn't mean he doesn't care. I'm pretty sure he helped bail out the defense in quite a few games too. It's a TEAM concept and all.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2311264 said:

Tony Romo is not a bus driver, to use a Bill Parcells term. He's more of a NASCAR kind of guy who would rather live with the occasional fiery mistakes than take his foot off the gas.

Romo had two such screw-ups today, throwing a pick to extend his INT streak to eight games and losing a fumble after scrambling for a first down. Those turnovers led to a couple field goals, and the damage would have been much worse if the Cowboys' defense didn't come through after the Bengals got great field position.

"I am pretty sure we won the ballgame," he said when asked whether he was concerned with his turnovers. "If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good. Everyone strives for no turnovers, but there's no ways you are going to make plays sometimes if you don't trust it and just let it go."

It's tough to be too harsh in regards to Romo as long as his TD-to-turnover ratio stays in the 2-to-1 range. But one of his turnovers played a key role in the loss to the Commanders, and you wonder whether his problems protecting the ball will cost the Cowboys in a bigger game.

thats the problem he isnt concerned so it wont get better!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hostile;2311325 said:
I love his nonchalant responses to hysteria over turnovers. The perfect temperament for a QB to have. The last thing you want is them to be stuck in the past. He moves one. That is great for this team.

I'm indifferent to the response, but I'd be far more impressed if he had nothing to respond to. These turnovers are far too predictable.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Hostile;2311325 said:

Dead on point!!!! I hate the TO's too but I luv how Romo forgets them and brings the team right back down the field.. I like how he handles the situation and at the same time he knows he has to take better care of the ball... Romo is fine and so is this team...

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Hailmary;2311301 said:
I like Romo and all, but his nonchalant responses to his turnovers are starting to irk me.

:mad:

The responses are one thing but if you look at his body language and emotions, he knew he screwed up big and he was looking everybit worried on the bench. He's a QB though, if he lets it get to him its over.

Hailmary

Reaction score
PBJTime;2311336 said:
HAHAHA! This is a riot. Do you guys really have any doubts that he'll try to improve his game? Just because he has a laid back attitude to the media doesn't mean he doesn't care. I'm pretty sure he helped bail out the defense in quite a few games too. It's a TEAM concept and all.

I'm not saying that he doesn't care, because I'm sure he does a lot, but I don't like the "whatev" message he maybe sending to his teammates...especially when he's supposed to be one of the team leaders.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2311304 said:
I think Romo will probably get overly criticized for the INT, but that was a great play by Rivers. The fumble really bothers me because he should know by now that players on defense will try to strip the ball from behind like they did and it was absolutely crucial to hold onto the ball because you don't want to give the Bengals any momentum before the half. Maybe he needs lessons from John Garrett on holding the ball high and tight.YAKUZA

personally I think he is hurt, but he underthrew that ball to Witten, one of many poorly thrown balls he had today.

He isnt throwing consistent spirals and most of his throws today, and many last week lacked the usual zip we see. Many throws today seemed to die towards the ground as they approached the intended receiver.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mansta54;2311351 said:
Dead on point!!!! I hate the TO's too but I luv how Romo forgets them and brings the team right back down the field.. I like how he handles the situation and at the same time he knows he has to take better care of the ball... Romo is fine and so is this team...
One of the players I have had the most disdain for in my life was Rickey Watters.

I literally can't stand him.

If he ever fumbled it took 5 to 6 guys to calm him down and keep him in the game. Many times he would compound a fumble by running stupid or fumbling again.

Tony gets it out of his mind immediately and focuses on the next possession.

Perfect.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2311264 said:

That kind of attitude is what will get you beat sooner or later.the guy has thrown 8 picks in his last 8 games. and he had 2 turnovers today. yet he takes the attitude that so what.as long as he win he does not care.we are in trouble folks.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Hostile;2311364 said:
One of the players I have had the most disdain for in my life was Rickey Watters.

I literally can't stand him.

If he ever fumbled it took 5 to 6 guys to calm him down and keep him in the game. Many times he would compound a fumble by running stupid or fumbling again.

Tony gets it out of his mind immediately and focuses on the next possession.

Perfect.

Funny, I loved that about Watters, especially because he was a 49er and eagle. :D

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Hailmary;2311358 said:
I'm not saying that he doesn't care, because I'm sure he does a lot, but I don't like the "whatev" message he maybe sending to his teammates...especially when he's supposed to be one of the team leaders.

Well, I doubt he talks to the media the same way he talks in the locker room.