DMN Cowlishaw Blog: Cowboys' Crayton calls out (Aaron) Rodgers

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2177692 said:
Same point I made to theebs: Flying under the radar with 250+ media credentials issued, with national reports coming everyday, and an HBO special about to premiere tonight.

I'm sorry, I don't see this team as flying under the radar.

But we know that Crayton's comments last winter helped incite the Giants. The Giants players were all over it.

Just like Hollywood's "Bradshaw is so dumb ..." comments 30 years ago helped fire up Bradshaw.

Maybe we need to bring Randy White back to stuff Crayton in his locker and tell him to shut up.

There's a reason why coaches post crap like this on bulletin boards. They've been doing it for generations.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2177691 said:
Eh, it's all relative. My opinion is if I agree/disagree with his comments. I agreed with him, so it's hard for me to want to "hate" on Crayton for what he said.

And mine is that regardless of opinion, players should be tactful and not bring unnecessary negative attention to themselves or their team. Something Crayton apparently lacks.

WoodysGirl said:
It's a soundbite that has been given very little coverage. It might get some traction closer to the GB game, but right now, I just don't see the

I hope it quickly fades away. Just like this topic. I'd rather be talking about this team's positives than nonsense like this anyway.

WoodysGirl said:
He didn't say it to a reporter, but he said it where reporters were present. I treated his comments as smack talk, just like I treat Crayton's as smack talk.

So if you don't like smack talk period, then don't prop one player up and down the other. Pro bowl or not, I think people should be consistent about their feelings if that's really the issue. But we KNOW that's not the issue.

Another point missed about the difference, Witten actually said what he did to the player involved - in this case James - not to some reporter in the locker room. Interesting how Crayton 'calls out' players that have nothing to do with him or who he's facing that week.

WoodysGirl said:
If you don't like Crayton, then just the fact he's opening his mouth to the media is going to be an issue...no matter how tactful he just might be about a subject.

I like Crayton just fine - as a player. Please don't try to deal in the absolutes which so often happens here.

The part I have the problem with is the guy who feels the need to open his mouth unnecessarily at every opportunity.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2177696 said:
But we know that Crayton's comments last winter helped incite the Giants. The Giants players were all over it.

Just like Hollywood's "Bradshaw is so dumb ..." comments 30 years ago helped fire up Bradshaw.

Maybe we need to bring Randy White back to stuff Crayton in his locker and tell him to shut up.

There's a reason why coaches post crap like this on bulletin boards. They've been doing it for generations.
I know that. But all that bulletin board mess goes out the window once you hit the field. There's not enough motivation in the world if a team simply played better than you that day.
stasheroo;2177697 said:
And mine is that regardless of opinion, players should be tactful and not bring unnecessary negative attention to themselves or their team. Something Crayton apparently lacks.
I think that depends on the interview. dcfanatic posted something yesterday where Crayton's comments were quite normal and acceptable.

Another point missed about the difference, Witten actually said what he did to the player involved - in this case James - not to some reporter in the locker room. Interesting how Crayton 'calls out' players that have nothing to do with him or who he's facing that week.
I'm not disregarding your point, but there's a double standard. There are too many qualifiers which make what one player says ok versus if another players says the same thing.

"Marginal player, average player. Should shut up and play player." That's all in this thread. What that has to do with his comments, I have no idea.

If you don't like smack talk, then your feelings about it should apply in every instance, even when our favorite players do it.
I like Crayton just fine - as a player. Please don't try to deal in the absolutes which so often happens here.

The part I have the problem with is the guy who feels the need to open his mouth unnecessarily at every opportunity.
It's not about absolutes.
cuz it's rarely just about Crayton, the player, and what he's done on the field.

It's about what I've observed time and again on this board.

Pro Bowl and/or fan favorite player comments - good.

Solid player comments - bad.

Reaction score
Got no problem with Crayton's stated opinions here,,, they are actually pretty vanilla assessments of the obvious, nothing inflammatory IMO.

Saying that the Cowboys were "marking their territory" last year was inflammatory, though I would argue that Crayton was simply continuing a trash-talk conversation that Jacobs/Shockey/Strahan started.

I think we, as fans, are too superstitious and paranoid about every "nuance" that might affect the outcome of games (no matter how small) :starspin

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2177066 said:
I didn't know that this was your thread

and i didn't respond to your thread, i responded to your post

or maybe you have me confused

You seem to be about the only one here who doesn't think Crayton is an idiot for running his mouth. Green Bay now is going to give Dallas one heck of a game. Thanks Crayton. You dope!!!

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2177661 said:
dude.

now your calling me a spazz too?

Fine. think what you want!

LOL...WAAAAAAAA Someone called me a Spazz on a messageboard...LOL...:laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Thanos68;2177739 said:
LOL...WAAAAAAAA Someone called me a Spazz on a messageboard...LOL...:laugh2:

whatever.

I actually care what people think, message board or not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2177723 said:
If you don't like smack talk, then your feelings about it should apply in every instance, even when our favorite players do it.

If I have to choose one side, it would be the side that doens't like 'smack talk'.

WoodysGirl said:
It's not about absolutes.
cuz it's rarely just about Crayton, the player, and what he's done on the field.

It's about what I've observed time and again on this board.

Pro Bowl and/or fan favorite player comments - good.

Solid player comments - bad.

Again, I think you're discounting the context and environment about what's being said.

Ware recently made comments about the team essentially playing the best player, regardless of whose feelings might get hurt.

I took that as a direct comment toward teammate Greg Ellis and appreciated him saying it.

It showed me leadership on Ware's part and was his way of putting Ellis in his place so to speak. That the team is bigger than any one player.

And Witten's recent on-field criticism of James showed me that he's demanding more out of his teammates. And he actually said it to the player involved. Again, that shows leadership to me.

Crayton talks about players from other teams. Players he has nothing to do with. Players he doesn't line up and compete against. Or he talks about situations that have nothing to do with him.

Big difference to me.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Its stupid.... because Green Bay players were probably like "Who is Patrick Crayton?"

This probably carries more weight (to the Packers) if it was coming from our Head Coach, Romo, Owens, or someone well known.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2177743 said:
If I have to choose one side, it would be the side that doens't like 'smack talk'.
Fine. Then you should have a problem everytime a player talks a little smack, regardless of the context.

Again, I think you're discounting the context and environment about what's being said.
Nope. Don't think so. Just see it differently than you do.

Ware recently made comments about the team essentially playing the best player, regardless of whose feelings might get hurt.

I took that as a direct comment toward teammate Greg Ellis and appreciated him saying it.

It showed me leadership on Ware's part and was his way of putting Ellis in his place so to speak. That the team is bigger than any one player.
I read the same thing and I didn't find that there was any smack talk involved in that statement. Your perception was that it was a shot at Ellis, but it could've been a shot at ANY player. Bradie comes out after 2 downs. So will Roy. Burnett only plays in sub-packages. Carp is still trying to find a role in the regular D. Sorry, that's not smack talk, that's reality.

And Witten's recent on-field criticism of James showed me that he's demanding more out of his teammates. And he actually said it to the player involved. Again, that shows leadership to me.
Oh please, that's smack talk of the highest order. He wasn't expressing leadership. He was talking ish.

Crayton talks about players from other teams. Players he has nothing to do with. Players he doesn't line up and compete against. Or he talks about situations that have nothing to do with him.
These guys have a mic in their face everyday. And they're not gonna always be asked about the players who play on the Dallas Cowboys or players who line up on the opposite side of the field. They're gonna express their opinions. I'd rather focus on what he said versus the fact that he said them.

Big difference to me.
And on that note, I'm bowing out. I see your point, but I just don't agree.

Besides, I gotta do some work or at least fake like it.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
What Crayton said was true, but that doesn't mean he should say it. It's childish, yes, but the old addage 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' applys in this situation.

I just don't like off-field smack talk, I could care less who it is.

I could never stand Owens when he would smack talk off the field, but didn't have a problem with him standing on the star because it was ingame and easily rectified when Emmitt and Teague defended it. He hasn't opened his mouth as much here so I feel he is a valued member of our team.

When Crayton runs his mouth, I am embarrassed for him because

1) He couldn't back it up.
2) Without Owens on the field, he's a #3 WR.

In essence, that's like the president of the chess club who 'beats' his dad at horse trying to talk smack to the 6'-5" center of the basketball team. Everyone laughs at him, but he thinks they are laughing with him. So sad.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2177692 said:
Same point I made to theebs: Flying under the radar with 250+ media credentials issued, with national reports coming everyday, and an HBO special about to premiere tonight.

I'm sorry, I don't see this team as flying under the radar.
The Cowboys are NEVER flying under the radar, even during the 5-11 years, how many times did we hear opposing players talk about how much it was a treat to play against and beat Dallas?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
With his smack talk and playoff performance last year, Crayton alienated a lot of Cowboys fans.

More smack talk now isn't going to win those fans back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2177808 said:
With his smack talk and playoff performance last year, Crayton alienated a lot of Cowboys fans.

More smack talk now isn't going to win those fans back.

Hey!

We actually agree here!

Is this a first?

:rolleyes:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Is this an international forum? Are there reporters and TV cameras here?

Please yourself. You crack me up.

Glad I can make you laugh. :p

And actually I would assume that anywhere in the world, that has net access, would have access to this forum so I suppose it's international in that sense it just won't find itself being talked about on sports talk shows.

Take your own advice.

If you can't handle reading other opinions - leave.

I can handle things just fine. Get your panties out of your butt. I'm just saying that a lot of the crying seems really silly to me.

As soon as someone shows me the media picking up on what I post on a message board, I'll be sure to be more considerate to Patrick Crayton.

Although that would be asking me to give him the courtesy and respect he's apparently incapable of giving himself.

So what you're saying is because he's got some level of fame he shouldn't be allowed to speak his opinion or mind because people might actually pay attention to it? Right. That makes sense.

That goes hand in hand with Tony Romo shouldn't be dating or doing anything other than focus 24/7, 365 on football.

Just like you have the right to speak your mind, and opinion, on the forums then shouldn't he be allowed to do the same thing when talking to media? Just because it's in the media shouldn't mean he should have to 'shut up' just because it annoys a few fans. Just like you shouldn't have to shut up just because I, or anyone else, tells you to.

Which, btw, my telling those to shut up is only because it sometimes feels like fans think because they're not famous, and they're only fans and not players, that it gives them the right to run their mouths, shoot off their opinions (be it on forums, in emails, call ins to shows and what have you) but a player shouldn't talk or have an opinion cause they're players.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
stasheroo;2177809 said:
Hey!

We actually agree here!

Is this a first?

:rolleyes:

:)

I bet we agree on who we want to win on Sundays. That's the big thing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2177846 said:
I can handle things just fine. Get your panties out of your butt. I'm just saying that a lot of the crying seems really silly to me.

Me, I have a problem when someone expresses their dissatisfaction with something, and someone with an opposing view point feels the need to call it 'crying' or 'whining' as if in some way to demean their viewpoint.

BraveHeartFan said:
So what you're saying is because he's got some level of fame he shouldn't be allowed to speak his opinion or mind because people might actually pay attention to it? Right. That makes sense.

The difference is that it's a completely different environment, one covered in radio, print and television, and one that isn't. One spoken by someone who is known to many, and the other written by an anonymous internet name.

BraveHeartFan said:
That goes hand in hand with Tony Romo shouldn't be dating or doing anything other than focus 24/7, 365 on football.

Maybe if he were throwing who he's dating in other players' faces it might have some connection. But I haven't heard about him doing that.

BraveHeartFan said:
Just like you have the right to speak your mind, and opinion, on the forums then shouldn't he be allowed to do the same thing when talking to media? Just because it's in the media shouldn't mean he should have to 'shut up' just because it annoys a few fans. Just like you shouldn't have to shut up just because I, or anyone else, tells you to.

He shouldn't shut up because of us fans. The players and team barely know the internet fans exist. He should shut up because he's causing something negative and not positive.

BraveHeartFan said:
Which, btw, my telling those to shut up is only because it sometimes feels like fans think because they're not famous, and they're only fans and not players, that it gives them the right to run their mouths, shoot off their opinions (be it on forums, in emails, call ins to shows and what have you) but a player shouldn't talk or have an opinion cause they're players.

Again, I don't see where fans' comments have close to the impact or consequences that players' comments do.

Therefore, a player should be more cautious and accountable for their words than an anonymous fan or internet poster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2177888 said:
:)

I bet we agree on who we want to win on Sundays. That's the big thing.

:toast2:

And ultimately, that's all that matters...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Our resident loudmouf Crayton also went on to criticize the Alamo Dome in San Antonio as needing to clean up the crickets and some stray animals there.

Not wishing to leave bad enough alone he also said having HBO film the Cowboys regular season would be a bad idea.

Does Crayton not have enough to do?
Is he bored?
Does he think anybody outside of his mom cares a whit what he thinks beyond his playing?
This guy is out of control and is a real loose canon.

Oh, by the way, our marshmallow of a coach, Wade "We're Fine" Phillips said he won't discipline Crayton (who might be channeling Reggie Swinton) and defended Crayton, saying the WR does not have a mean bone in his body. However, our genius coach didn't say how many stupid bones Crayton has in his body.

Someone in the front office please tell Crayton to shut his mouf and someone please give Wade Phillips a spine.