News: DMN: Cowlishaw: Cowboys can't go into 2016 with Kellen Moore as No. 2 QB, but this guy would...

Romotil45

Reaction score
Can we honestly say Goff or Lynch is a better short term answer at backup to Kellen Moore. Not IMO. You don't draft a rookie in first round as a backup. If you want a rookie to compete with Moore you take him in a later round. Moore knows the offense and got experience at end of last year. He did a better job of make checks at LOS pre-snap than the others and making the defense tip it's hand much like Romo does. Yes he threw some bad bad INT all rookies do. I wish they had turned it over to him sooner. If Romo goes down again I am confident Moore can keep us in games. Please don't reach for a rookie QB. Romo does have 4-5 good years in the tank. Trade back and load up the defense.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Can we honestly say Goff or Lynch is a better short term answer at backup to Kellen Moore. Not IMO. You don't draft a rookie in first round as a backup. If you want a rookie to compete with Moore you take him in a later round. Moore knows the offense and got experience at end of last year. He did a better job of make checks at LOS pre-snap than the others and making the defense tip it's hand much like Romo does. Yes he threw some bad bad INT all rookies do. I wish they had turned it over to him sooner. If Romo goes down again I am confident Moore can keep us in games. Please don't reach for a rookie QB. Romo does have 4-5 good years in the tank. Trade back and load up the defense.

I liked Kellen, thought he played better then Weeden and Cassel. He read the blitz well, changed the play and hit Dez on a quick screen for TD. Let him take backup duties all off season and I think people will be surprised

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked Kellen, thought he played better then Weeden and Cassel. He read the blitz well, changed the play and hit Dez on a quick screen for TD. Let him take backup duties all off season and I think people will be surprised

He needs a lot of reps. We need to be looking at options to compete with him. And we need to draft a rookie QB, too.

Romotil45

Reaction score

I agree, I was surprised he was light years ahead of Weeden and Cassel when it came to checks and forcing the defence to tip it's hand. Very smart young man father was a coach he grew up around the game. He will develop into a solid back up and who knows we may have already found the future may be right under our noses.

visionary

Reaction score

Yes we can honestly say that

Kellen Moore should be QBing a high school team

Next question

Kaiser

Reaction score

I agree, there are very few options at backup QB that are good and the ones that are have already signed elsewhere. There is going to be a dropoff if Romo is hurt, its only a question of how much. I think the dropoff to Moore is the same as a lot of the other options. I still want Lynch in the middle of the first round but no draft choice is going to be a good backup for the coming season.

Romotil45

Reaction score
He needs a lot of reps. We need to be looking at options to compete with him. And we need to draft a rookie QB, too.

Yes we must select a rookie QB to push him. 3rd or 4th round would be my guess.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

So you think Romo will still be effective until he's 41?!

visionary

Reaction score
Yes we must select a rookie QB to push him. 3rd or 4th round would be my guess.

Lol at the idea that a 3-4 Rd QB (who routinely bust at a 90% clip) would 'push' him but top 5 QBs won't be better than him

The ONLY reasons Moore is on the roster is because he knew the system before coming here and he offers no threat to Romo. Competence and ability to actually win an nfl game were not requirements for the back up QB job for the Cowboys

Romotil45

Reaction score
So you think Romo will still be effective until he's 41?!

IMO Romo could be effective until he's 45 barring a serious injury like Mannings and too many concussions. If he wants to that is he may not he may choose to retire in 5 years. Romo has enough mobility to loose a step or two and still be able to move in the pocket and extend plays. IMP he is just coming into his prime experience years.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Even with Mannings diminished arm strength he was better than Osweiler who had been sitting under Manning for Two years. If Manning had not retired he would still be the guy even if Osweiler was on the roster why ? Experience is why. A vet gives you the best shot to win period especially when you have a great defense and a running game. Load up the defense that's what Jimmy and Parcells would say.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Lol at the idea that a 3-4 Rd QB (who routinely bust at a 90% clip) would 'push' him but top 5 QBs won't be better than him

The ONLY reasons Moore is on the roster is because he knew the system before coming here and he offers no threat to Romo. Competence and ability to actually win an nfl game were not requirements for the back up QB job for the Cowboys

That's a good point. As advanced as Moore is for a rookie ( he was light years ahead of Weeden and Cassel when it came down to defensive identification checks and making the defense tip it's hand). Would a 3rd or 4th rounder be able to push him ?. Perhaps not perhaps being undersized not ideal arm strength and the chip on his shoulder from the pundants spouting things like he should be QBing a highschool team after what he accomplished in college will push him. The beauty is Moore can be effective but not take away from Romo. If you take Lynch in the 1st Romo starts looking over his shoulder. He doesn't want to hold the team back. You end up pushing a top 5 QB out when he's just getting really good. Not a good idea. Romo doesn't need a push he needs to be focused. Send him the message that he's our guy until he is done. If the broncos had done that manning would still be playing. The broncos would still be in the SB hunt.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
That's a good point. As advanced as Moore is for a rookie ( he was light years ahead of Weeden and Cassel when it came down to defensive identification checks and making the defense tip it's hand). Would a 3rd or 4th rounder be able to push him ?. Perhaps not perhaps being undersized not ideal arm strength and the chip on his shoulder from the pundants spouting things like he should be QBing a highschool team after what he accomplished in college will push him. The beauty is Moore can be effective but not take away from Romo. If you take Lynch in the 1st Romo starts looking over his shoulder. He doesn't want to hold the team back. You end up pushing a top 5 QB out when he's just getting really good. Not a good idea. Romo doesn't need a push he needs to be focused. Send him the message that he's our guy until he is done. If the broncos had done that manning would still be playing. The broncos would still be in the SB hunt.

Moore was not a rookie no matter how many times you post it.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Romo + Moore +( Wentz or Goff) = QB depth Chart... Basic Logic learned it in in Electronics Class..

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Moore is a scrub who has very little ceiling left IMO. What you saw from him last year will not get much better. I think even a raw rookie of the caliber of Wentz or Goff or even Lynch would be at least close to what Moore can offer up right now. And their ceilings would be much higher.

Heck, I'd rather have Connor Cook starting games next year than Moore. I just think Moore is a dead end street.