News: DMN: David Irving fined after ejection: 'It's going to hurt a guy like me'

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Remember when Tyson bit Holyfield's ear. One of his excuses was that he got head butted and was bleeding but also had a family to feed. I think Tyson was guaranteed 50 million I think with a loss in that fight; how can you not feed a family on that income. The pro sports players need a good lesson in money management.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Remember when Tyson bit Holyfield's ear. One of his excuses was that he got head butted and was bleeding but also had a family to feed. I think Tyson was guaranteed 50 million I think with a loss in that fight; how can you not feed a family on that income. The pro sports players need a good lesson in money management.
Don King robbed Mike Tyson blind.

plasticman

Reaction score
I realize that $525K seems like an awful lot of money. However, peel off about 30% for his agent fees, then you have:

$367.5K

Now don't forget this ia the highest tax bracket, so slice off 40%:

Naturally, we promised mom a house when we "made it big".

Little sister wants to go to college, we always promised that.

Every member of the family, all the way up to 3rd cousins, are dropping by with their hands held out, every "friend" wants to call in favors.

Cowboy tickets for friends and family? You get some, but never enough and the rest don't grow on trees.

Anytime friends and family go out to dinner with you, guess who foots the bill. Yep, all six to twelve of them.

Gotta live like an NFL player, your place isn't going to be a dump, neither is the ride.

Is it any wonder that 70% of NFL players are broke two years after leaving the NFL?

Part of it is the perception that the average football player in the NFL is a rich man.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I realize that $525K seems like an awful lot of money. However, peel off about 30% for his agent fees, then you have:

$367.5K

Every member of the family, all the way up to 3rd cousins, are dropping by with their hands held out, every "friend" wants to call in favors.

Cowboy tickets for friends and family? You get some, but never enough and the rest don't grow on trees.

Anytime friends and family go out to dinner with you, guess who foots the bill. Yep, all six to twelve of them.

Gotta live like an NFL player, your place isn't going to be a dump, neither is the ride.

Is it any wonder that 70% of NFL players are broke two years after leaving the NFL?

Part of it is the perception that the average football player in the NFL is a rich man.

Plastic, there's a great 30 for 30 "Broke" that breaks down everything in your post even further. So true, bro. I hope with the age of information and progression for players well-being, these cats are being more responsible with their cash-flow.

It's on Netflix for those of you that subscribe to it. Essential viewing if you like the intricacies and nuance of the behind the scenes aspect of the NFL and how players live their lives.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Actually right after Erving rips Irving's helmet off his head, watch his right leg as he steps past him. He launched a quick kick at him as he lay on the ground. The kick, however brief and even though it looks like it missed, got him tossed.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Actually right after Erving rips Irving's helmet off his head, watch his right leg as he steps past him. He launched a quick kick at him as he lay on the ground. The kick, however brief and even though it looks like it missed, got him tossed.
That was not a kick he was trying to hop the helmet being thrown.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Plastic, there's a great 30 for 30 "Broke" that breaks down everything in your post even further. So true, bro. I hope with the age of information and progression for players well-being, these cats are being more responsible with their cash-flow.

It's on Netflix for those of you that subscribe to it. Essential viewing if you like the intricacies and nuance of the behind the scenes aspect of the NFL and how players live their lives.
Good info

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I would just chalk it up to "heat of the passion". It was on the 1st play of the game and he's trying to downplay it now as a mistake that can be moved on from while pointing out he got jipped by the league, etc. Way I took it.

I'd be willing to bet that he'd been told just like every other player that getting into a brawl would be dealt with harshly. Yet, it didn't stop him from doing it anyhow. It can hardly be seen as a "gyp," though if he did what he'd been warned about despite all the warnings.

Maybe he'll learn from it and if so, he'd be better off in the future but saying you won't do it again means nothing until it's proven. It's extremely easy to say the right things but doing something that's very difficult at the heat of the moment requires the kind of control that he's already failed to show. I'll surely be pulling for him to redeem himself despite the fact that many don't.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm hoping he'll prove exactly what he promises when the time comes for his own good but mostly for the good of the team. That kind of restraint requires a very special kind of dedication. I wish him well in living up to his promise, just like we all do.

Last edited:

JDSmith

Reaction score

That's not really true. The article everyone references didn't say they were broke, it said they suffered hardship and went on to define it as essentially having to get a job. But people ran with the headline and never bothered to read the article so now everyone assumes that these players are all 'broke.'

JDSmith

Reaction score
And I'm pretty sure he got tossed for laughing and taunting. You can see when the guy signals it, and it was after he was being led away. But he kept turning back and laughing and saying stuff and basically doing exactly what the NFL tells players not to do.

The other guy got tossed for tearing off his helmet and throwing it at him, but IMO there was a good chance Irving could have stayed in the game had he not been so bent on rubbing it in and taunting Erving.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

$367.5K

Exactly! Dang taxes take everything from you. I'm single with no kids so the govt takes everything and gives you nothing

I feel for him.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Can someone resize that imagine to fit the forum guidelines for pixel size so that I can use that as a sig? Then PM me the URL. I would be so grateful, in advance.

It needs to be 500x350

I tried the actual URL from the picture's website and it seemed too large.

You and I were thinking the exact same thing. I wanted that sig too man!!! :D

plasticman

Reaction score
I remember John Madden saying that it always seems to be the second guy that geta in yhe most trouble. Typically the guy who started it gets away with something nobody else sees.

Then the second guy retaliates and by that time everyone sees something going on so he gets caught.

This time the refs saw something before the cameras could get there, I think it is where Erving was retaliating.

plasticman

Reaction score
That's not really true. The article everyone references didn't say they were broke, it said they suffered hardship and went on to define it as essentially having to get a job. But people ran with the headline and never bothered to read the article so now everyone assumes that these players are all 'broke.'

Broke meaning they did not have any money, just bills. They had to get more money, that is why they for jobs.

Broke, hardship, whatever you choose, the point is all their NFL money was gone. They had no investments, property, or tangible assetts from the money they earned as an NFL player. Furthermore, the majority of them did not graduate with a degree.

That is 70%. The average NFL career is 3.5 years.

I am not referring to the Sports Illustrated article in 2009 that said 80% go bankrupt pr commit suicide within two years. Agreed, that article was BS.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that he'd been told just like every other player that getting into a brawl would be dealt with harshly. Yet, it didn't stop him from doing it anyhow. It can hardly be seen as a "gyp," though if he did what he'd been warned about despite all the warnings.

Maybe he'll learn from it and if so, he'd be better off in the future but saying you won't do it again means nothing until it's proven. It's extremely easy to say the right things but doing something that's very difficult at the heat of the moment requires the kind of control that he's already failed to show. I'll surely be pulling for him to redeem himself despite the fact that many don't.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm hoping he'll prove exactly what he promises when the time comes for his own good but mostly for the good of the team. That kind of restraint requires a very special kind of dedication. I wish him well in living up to his promise, just like we all do.
I guess I 'm not taking it as seriously because we have never seen this from Irving before (scuffling/fighting). When I found out the "why" (getting punched while being cut block) would trigger some heat of the moment reaction from most. He walked away when refs saw he could cause some real damage and clearly could have made it worse regarding his retaliation towards Erving; look at the pic.