News: DMN: David Irving fined after ejection: 'It's going to hurt a guy like me'

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I guess I 'm not taking it as seriously because we have never seen this from Irving before (scuffling/fighting). When I found out the "why" (getting punched while being cut block) would trigger some heat of the moment reaction from most. He walked away when refs saw he could cause some real damage and clearly could have made it worse regarding his retaliation towards Erving; look at the pic.

Anytime you're on a team with maybe one legitimately capable pass rusher and you're the one they lose, it should be taken seriously. Every player is coached not to fall victim to such idiocy. It doesn't matter if most others would do the same thing that Irving did. It's still a stupid reaction that smart players avoid. I know, it's extremely difficult to walk away but it's far more important to give your team a fighting chance to win.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Anytime you're on a team with maybe one legitimately capable pass rusher and you're the one they lose, it should be taken seriously. Every player is coached not to fall victim to such idiocy. It doesn't matter if most others would do the same thing that Irving did. It's still a stupid reaction that smart players avoid. I know, it's extremely difficult to walk away but it's far more important to give your team a fighting chance to win.
I'm thinking he's seeing that NOW but unfortunately instinct took over (machismo yada) at the time and he just did it so overwhelmingly it got him kicked out instead of the standard pf penalty. He knows it wasn't right and sure Garrett talked to him about it. He made a mistake and don't think he set a standard for his other DL to be "provoked" by opposing OL or anything going forward. Luckily it was the Browns and he wasn't "as" needed as he would be under normal circumstances like you referenced where a penalty/ejection would hurt the team. The way he quickly let the ref take him off let me know he wasn't on "crazy, team be damned" mode; just ended up being the vastly superior fighter in the scuffle after the physical instinct briefly took over to being punched; just hard for me to blame him considering that. You're correct though in that you can't let them suck you in (self control even after being wronged).

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm thinking he's seeing that NOW but unfortunately instinct took over (machismo yada) at the time and he just did it so overwhelmingly it got him kicked out instead of the standard pf penalty. He knows it wasn't right and sure Garrett talked to him about it. He made a mistake and don't think he set a standard for his other DL to be "provoked" by opposing OL or anything going forward. Luckily it was the Browns and he wasn't "as" needed as he would be under normal circumstances like you referenced where a penalty/ejection would hurt the team. The way he quickly let the ref take him off let me know he wasn't on "crazy; team be damned" mode. You're correct though in that you can't let them suck you in (self control even after being wronged).

Yeah, I'm surely not suggesting they put him before the firing squad . . . I just hope he's learned his lesson by now. ;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize that $525K seems like an awful lot of money. However, peel off about 30% for his agent fees, then you have:

$367.5K

Now don't forget this ia the highest tax bracket, so slice off 40%:

Naturally, we promised mom a house when we "made it big".

Little sister wants to go to college, we always promised that.

Every member of the family, all the way up to 3rd cousins, are dropping by with their hands held out, every "friend" wants to call in favors.

Cowboy tickets for friends and family? You get some, but never enough and the rest don't grow on trees.

Anytime friends and family go out to dinner with you, guess who foots the bill. Yep, all six to twelve of them.

Gotta live like an NFL player, your place isn't going to be a dump, neither is the ride.

Is it any wonder that 70% of NFL players are broke two years after leaving the NFL?

Part of it is the perception that the average football player in the NFL is a rich man.
http://work.chron.com/average-sports-agents-commission-21083.html

An agent’s commission varies, based on the sport he represents. Generally, a sports agent earns between 4 and 10 percent of an athlete’s playing contract, though some leagues place limits on what percentage an agent can charge in commission. For example, the National Football League states that an agent can't receive more than 3 percent of player salaries.