DMN: Emmitt Smith; "Cowboys are just mediocre"

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The problem is that the "window" doesn't stay open forever. Just ask San Diego. We were SB faves heading into the playoffs last year, but flamed out. This year, we were SB faves in September, but now a mere wildcard game might be out of reach. And did I happen to mention that we share the division with the defending SB champs, who are proving that last year was no fluke? Better grab the brass ring while you still can, because there may not be a next year.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Is Emmitt still a diamond surrounded by poo poo, as he famously was quoted in 2002? I agree the team has underwhelmed as whole but they have the tools to be in the race come January.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2461515 said:
Truthfully, a win over the Giants and Philly would mean more. A win over the Steelers would be just another win to me.

Very true WG, we absolutely have to win our NFC games. 1 Conf. loss and we will be very hard pressed to win any tie break.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;2461519 said:
This group has shown a lack of heart in the past couple years when the chips were down. The biggest chips in over a decade are on the table. Now is their chance to prove they have the balls to be a champion. I look forward to the next 25 days. Let the chips fall.
:hammer:

bbgun;2461523 said:
The problem is that the "window" doesn't stay open forever. Just ask San Diego. We were SB faves heading into the playoffs last year, but flamed out. This year, we were SB faves in September, but now a mere wildcard game might be out of reach. And did I happen to mention that we share the division with the defending SB champs, who are proving that last year was no fluke? Better grab the brass ring while you still can, because there may not be a next year.
:hammer:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Aikbach;2461524 said:
Is Emmitt still a diamond surrounded by poo poo, as he famously was quoted in 2002? I agree the team has underwhelmed as whole but they have the tools to be in the race come January.

I don't see where he said any thing different. They have the talent as he said
do they have the heart?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Emmitt is saying what most of this forum has been saying since the first Washington game. Just because he (a former Cowboy player) said it then it doesn't make it wrong. He is one of the few that has the balls to call it like he sees it. He is not stupid like someone said, the guy has the cojones to call it like we all have seen it.

Give the man his due. He knows championship caliber football when he sees it.

;)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2461553 said:
Emmitt is saying what most of this forum has been saying since the first Washington game. Just because he (a former Cowboy player) said it then it doesn't make it wrong. He is one of the few that has the balls to call it like he sees it. He is not stupid like someone said, the guy has the cojones to call it like we all have seen it.

Give the man his due. He knows championship caliber football when he sees it.

;)
Spot on.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Rampage;2461476 said:
either he's trying to fire up the team with these comments, is still really stupid, or maybe he's right.

Yeah similar to Strahan saying the Cowboys were better or team to beat in beginning of season.

We do play "mediocre" at times.... and sometimes we play less than average. So Emmitt is spot on.

We have not played to our FULL potential. We most certainly look better on paper. Hope that changes.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i agree with emmitt, i am still miffed about the offensive line letting tony get hurt and hit that much in the cardinal game;

also the way the special teams let mcbrair get hurt, i am still miffed about that, and if you watch, one of the players that was on the special teams that goofed up is tony curtis, and he still to this day goofs up,

it was curtis that was late on the field on one special play and witten was livid at him,

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
add to that, what miffs me further is having brad johnson still on the team, for mainly holding on field goal attempts, that is taking a space up roster spot,

you mean as a HEAD COACH, YOU CANT FIND A PLAYER THAT CAN HOLD ON FIELD GOALS, AND GET IN RHYTHM WITH FOLK AND THE SNAPPER, THAT GOES BACK TO YOUR SPECIAL TEAMS AND THE HEAD COACH

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
With all the injuries the Cowboys have suffered this year, everyone should be thankful for being 8-4. Last time I checked, like Adam said, it is a 12 game season. 6-6 is mediocre, not 8-4.

Your team will soon be 9-4, because I do think this game is a must win game. If you win this one, you have to take 2 out of 3 and not 3 straight. Your odds go way up. The Cowboys will play like the desperate team on Sunday, and they will walk out with a W.

Tampa Bay W

@ Washington W

@ Pittsburgh

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FWST Blog

Emmitt Drops the Hammer

Former Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith was impressed with the new digs that are currently under construction in Arlington. But he's not exactly thrilled by what he's seeing from his old team these days, despite the fact they are 8-4 and on a three-game winning streak.

"Mediocre," he said. "Mediocre in the sense of disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is. Chemistry has a lot to do with it and for some reason the chemistry of the Cowboys this year has been thrown off, and I can't put a finger on it.

"To me, I still see them as one of the most talented teams in the National Football League. But you can't win games just on talent alone. You have to come together as a team. There is either too much salt in the gumbo or too much meat in the gumbo, something is wrong. Whatever it is they need to get it corrected. It's been one of those blah, blah season for people."

Evil Media: Do you not get the sense anything is turning around after this three-game winning streak?

Emmitt Smith: "I can't get excited about it. The reason I can't get excited about it is because they won one game that I can give them credit for. That was the Commanders game. They had to fight for that one and I appreciate that. Sometimes it takes a game like that to build confidence on. When they beat San Francisco and the Seahawks I'm like, 'OK, they're supposed to win.'

That's like beating the Rams when they lost to them. So I can't get excited. This week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Steelers. I watched the Steelers up close and personal when they played Baltimore so I know how physical they can be.

"My last memory of the Cowboys being absolutely physical is when they got hit in the mouth by the Commanders last year, and that's not a good memory. Then they turned aorund and got hit in the mouth again by the Giants and that's not a good memory. So I'm looking to see whether they are willing to match that intensity the Steelers are going to bring to the table."

Evil Media: You don't sound like you have any faith in this team; like if the Cowboys were a stock you wouldn't buy.

Emmitt Smith: "I'm probably wouldn't buy. That's just me. I know they have a lot of talent. Having Romo back has been very good. I've been with team where we had leaders. I've been on teams that had guys that stepped up when another guy went down. I've been on teams when we had our backs against the wall and had to fight our way out of 0-2 and get back into this race. We had talent. I've been on teams where we lost the head coach who we believed in and brought in another guy and everybody said, 'Huh?' and we had to fight through that. I look at this team and I don't see that kind of fight. I don't see that kind of leaning on each other like you're supposed to."

Evil Media: Do you look at this team and see a 53-man roster and see 53 cabs?

Emmitt Smith: "I see 53 cabs. I see some guys lead by their play, DeMarcus Ware is one of those guys. I know the game is won in the trenches and our trenches have not been there for us.

Evil Media: You talking about both sides of the line?

Emmitt Smith: "I can't speak to defensive side. I'm talking about offensive side. I'm talking about the side that guy our main guy hurt. I'm taking about the side that the Arizona Cardinals broke a guys' foot. That stuff, that bugs me. It's hard for me to get over those memories. You look at a team as talented as the Cowboys you have to sit back and say, 'OK, what is this about?' Are you going to show up and think people are going to roll over for you?

Are you reading all the press clippings that say this is your year and talking about go to the Super Bowl and this is your year to do it? You forget your love and passion? You have to bring those things to the table. Maybe they are starting to get that. Hopefully they can go on that run the Giants went on last year. That's what I'm hoping for. Until I see it, I'm not going to believe it."

... "I don't know all the nuances that go on over there. But I know things are a little different now. They are. Guys have their own personal trainers now.

I'm looking for guys that want to go places. To get the money, because the money comes whne you go places. I'm looking for guys who are hungry to make their mark in history. That's making a defining moment. When I look at the Giants team they remind me so much of the way we were. Hungry. Hungry for another one. Forget Plaxico, they are hungry for another one."

- Mac Engel

noletime95

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2461709 said:
FWST Blog

Emmitt Drops the Hammer

Former Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith was impressed with the new digs that are currently under construction in Arlington. But he's not exactly thrilled by what he's seeing from his old team these days, despite the fact they are 8-4 and on a three-game winning streak.

"Mediocre," he said. "Mediocre in the sense of disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is. Chemistry has a lot to do with it and for some reason the chemistry of the Cowboys this year has been thrown off, and I can't put a finger on it.

"To me, I still see them as one of the most talented teams in the National Football League. But you can't win games just on talent alone. You have to come together as a team. There is either too much salt in the gumbo or too much meat in the gumbo, something is wrong. Whatever it is they need to get it corrected. It's been one of those blah, blah season for people."

Evil Media: Do you not get the sense anything is turning around after this three-game winning streak?

Emmitt Smith: "I can't get excited about it. The reason I can't get excited about it is because they won one game that I can give them credit for. That was the Commanders game. They had to fight for that one and I appreciate that. Sometimes it takes a game like that to build confidence on. When they beat San Francisco and the Seahawks I'm like, 'OK, they're supposed to win.'

That's like beating the Rams when they lost to them. So I can't get excited. This week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Steelers. I watched the Steelers up close and personal when they played Baltimore so I know how physical they can be.

"My last memory of the Cowboys being absolutely physical is when they got hit in the mouth by the Commanders last year, and that's not a good memory. Then they turned aorund and got hit in the mouth again by the Giants and that's not a good memory. So I'm looking to see whether they are willing to match that intensity the Steelers are going to bring to the table."

Evil Media: You don't sound like you have any faith in this team; like if the Cowboys were a stock you wouldn't buy.

Emmitt Smith: "I'm probably wouldn't buy. That's just me. I know they have a lot of talent. Having Romo back has been very good. I've been with team where we had leaders. I've been on teams that had guys that stepped up when another guy went down. I've been on teams when we had our backs against the wall and had to fight our way out of 0-2 and get back into this race. We had talent. I've been on teams where we lost the head coach who we believed in and brought in another guy and everybody said, 'Huh?' and we had to fight through that. I look at this team and I don't see that kind of fight. I don't see that kind of leaning on each other like you're supposed to."

Evil Media: Do you look at this team and see a 53-man roster and see 53 cabs?

Emmitt Smith: "I see 53 cabs. I see some guys lead by their play, DeMarcus Ware is one of those guys. I know the game is won in the trenches and our trenches have not been there for us.

Evil Media: You talking about both sides of the line?

Emmitt Smith: "I can't speak to defensive side. I'm talking about offensive side. I'm talking about the side that guy our main guy hurt. I'm taking about the side that the Arizona Cardinals broke a guys' foot. That stuff, that bugs me. It's hard for me to get over those memories. You look at a team as talented as the Cowboys you have to sit back and say, 'OK, what is this about?' Are you going to show up and think people are going to roll over for you?

Are you reading all the press clippings that say this is your year and talking about go to the Super Bowl and this is your year to do it? You forget your love and passion? You have to bring those things to the table. Maybe they are starting to get that. Hopefully they can go on that run the Giants went on last year. That's what I'm hoping for. Until I see it, I'm not going to believe it."

... "I don't know all the nuances that go on over there. But I know things are a little different now. They are. Guys have their own personal trainers now.

I'm looking for guys that want to go places. To get the money, because the money comes whne you go places. I'm looking for guys who are hungry to make their mark in history. That's making a defining moment. When I look at the Giants team they remind me so much of the way we were. Hungry. Hungry for another one. Forget Plaxico, they are hungry for another one."

- Mac Engel

Wow. I assume Emmitt has some insights we are not privy too. This is a pretty damning article. Hope he's just blowing smoke or flat out wrong. He basically feels this isn't a team.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
We've been mediocre for 3 games this year. In another 3 we were atrocious. And in the other 6 we were playing at a very high level.

There are a lot of mediocre teams that wish they were as mediocre as us.

Reaction score
Emmitt is right on several points, you can't expect teams are going to lie down and not play. Also the press clippings went to their head once again, just like last year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not going to question their heart. But they need to win at least 3 games and they need to beat the Giants and Philly if they want to go to the dance.

I'd like to see them roll the next 4 teams.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
ajk23az;2461473 said:
Emmitt Smith: Current Cowboys are just 'mediocre'
7:17 PM Thu, Dec 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Emmitt Smith has one word for the current Cowboys.

"Mediocre."

The NFL's all-time leading rusher and three-time Super Bowl winner said Thursday he was disappointed in the team's 8-4 record. And he questions whether the current players have the fight in them to win in December and reach the playoffs.

"[I'm] disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is," Smith said. "Chemistry has a lot to do with it. And for some reason, the chemistry of the Cowboys this year has been thrown off a little bit.

"Either there's too much salt in the gumbo or not enough meat in the gumbo. Something's wrong. Whatever it is, they need to get it corrected. It's just been a blah kind of season for me."

Smith gave his thoughts while attending an event at the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington. During a 10-minute interview, Smith questioned the team's toughness and their desire to win Super Bowls all while mixing in a Jimmy Johnson-style pep talk.

"When they beat San Francisco and the Seattle Seahawks, they were supposed to beat them," Smith said. "That's like beating the St. Louis Rams, who they lost to. I can't get excited. So now, this week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"My last memory of the Cowboys being absolutely physical was when they got hit in the mouth by the Washington Commanders last year. Then they turned around and got hit in the mouth again by the New York Giants [in the playoffs]. That's not a good memory."

Smith believes the offensive line hasn't played well this season even though the offense ranks eighth in yards per game. The players in the trenches "have not been there for us," Smith said.

"I'm talking about the side that got our main guy [Tony Romo] hurt," he added. "I'm talking about the side that allowed the Arizona Cardinals to break a guy's foot. That stuff bugs me."

Smith said he sees 53 individuals, not one team.

"Are you just going to show up and think people are going to lay over for you," Smith said. "Are you reading all your press clippings that talk about how you're supposed to go to the Super Bowl and you forgot how to play the game? You forgot your love and your passion. You've got to bring all those things to the table.

"The money comes when you go places. I'm looking for guys that are hungry to make their mark in history. And that's by winning Super Bowls. That's making a defining moment."

I believe this should be clipped in BOLD LETTERS in the Dallas Cowboys locker room. Emmitt Smith is a respected icon in sports, that will get the attention and maybe a reaction out of the team just hearing that.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;2461780 said:
I believe this should be clipped in BOLD LETTERS in the Dallas Cowboys locker room. Emmitt Smith is a respected icon in sports, that will get the attention and maybe a reaction out of the team just hearing that.

He is spot on! Even the casual fans in this forum know he's right. We've been echoing his sentiments for weeks now. I'm glad to see that he has the testicular fortitude to come out and say it.

Emmitt was, and will always be my favorite Cowboy. We're all concerned about MB3's toe being dislocated...this dude played with a dislocated shoulder and ran the ball like a man possessed when his team needed him. There was so much on the line in that game, and there was no way he was leaving the field. If MB3 can't play because of a freaking pinkie toe, then he needs to have his man card revoked.

So is MB3 going to be a man and a leader, or is he going to be a puss? That is all that needs to be said.

Section446

Reaction score
Well, he's pretty much right with everything he's saying. I hope the players are reading it and get pissed off.