DMN: Emmitt Smith; "Cowboys are just mediocre"

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith: Current Cowboys are just 'mediocre'
7:17 PM Thu, Dec 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Emmitt Smith has one word for the current Cowboys.

"Mediocre."

The NFL's all-time leading rusher and three-time Super Bowl winner said Thursday he was disappointed in the team's 8-4 record. And he questions whether the current players have the fight in them to win in December and reach the playoffs.

"[I'm] disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is," Smith said. "Chemistry has a lot to do with it. And for some reason, the chemistry of the Cowboys this year has been thrown off a little bit.

"Either there's too much salt in the gumbo or not enough meat in the gumbo. Something's wrong. Whatever it is, they need to get it corrected. It's just been a blah kind of season for me."

Smith gave his thoughts while attending an event at the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington. During a 10-minute interview, Smith questioned the team's toughness and their desire to win Super Bowls all while mixing in a Jimmy Johnson-style pep talk.

"When they beat San Francisco and the Seattle Seahawks, they were supposed to beat them," Smith said. "That's like beating the St. Louis Rams, who they lost to. I can't get excited. So now, this week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"My last memory of the Cowboys being absolutely physical was when they got hit in the mouth by the Washington Commanders last year. Then they turned around and got hit in the mouth again by the New York Giants [in the playoffs]. That's not a good memory."

Smith believes the offensive line hasn't played well this season even though the offense ranks eighth in yards per game. The players in the trenches "have not been there for us," Smith said.

"I'm talking about the side that got our main guy [Tony Romo] hurt," he added. "I'm talking about the side that allowed the Arizona Cardinals to break a guy's foot. That stuff bugs me."

Smith said he sees 53 individuals, not one team.

"Are you just going to show up and think people are going to lay over for you," Smith said. "Are you reading all your press clippings that talk about how you're supposed to go to the Super Bowl and you forgot how to play the game? You forgot your love and your passion. You've got to bring all those things to the table.

"The money comes when you go places. I'm looking for guys that are hungry to make their mark in history. And that's by winning Super Bowls. That's making a defining moment."

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
either he's trying to fire up the team with these comments, is still really stupid, or maybe he's right.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Rampage;2461476 said:
either he's trying to fire up the team with these comments, is still really stupid, or maye he's right.

Way to narrow it down :D :laugh2:

Jus' messin'..

Right when I started reading I thought it was the "fire up the team" scenario.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Duck Emmitt. I do agree with every thing he said though.
A win this week will get my blood flowing a bit though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy and his partner won Dancing With the Stars, so it's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
ajk23az;2461473 said:
Emmitt Smith: Current Cowboys are just 'mediocre'
7:17 PM Thu, Dec 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Emmitt Smith has one word for the current Cowboys.

"Mediocre."

The NFL's all-time leading rusher and three-time Super Bowl winner said Thursday he was disappointed in the team's 8-4 record. And he questions whether the current players have the fight in them to win in December and reach the playoffs.

"[I'm] disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is," Smith said. "Chemistry has a lot to do with it. And for some reason, the chemistry of the Cowboys this year has been thrown off a little bit.

"Either there's too much salt in the gumbo or not enough meat in the gumbo. Something's wrong. Whatever it is, they need to get it corrected. It's just been a blah kind of season for me."

Smith gave his thoughts while attending an event at the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington. During a 10-minute interview, Smith questioned the team's toughness and their desire to win Super Bowls all while mixing in a Jimmy Johnson-style pep talk.

"When they beat San Francisco and the Seattle Seahawks, they were supposed to beat them," Smith said. "That's like beating the St. Louis Rams, who they lost to. I can't get excited. So now, this week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"My last memory of the Cowboys being absolutely physical was when they got hit in the mouth by the Washington Commanders last year. Then they turned around and got hit in the mouth again by the New York Giants [in the playoffs]. That's not a good memory."

Smith believes the offensive line hasn't played well this season even though the offense ranks eighth in yards per game. The players in the trenches "have not been there for us," Smith said.

"I'm talking about the side that got our main guy [Tony Romo] hurt," he added. "I'm talking about the side that allowed the Arizona Cardinals to break a guy's foot. That stuff bugs me."

Smith said he sees 53 individuals, not one team.

"Are you just going to show up and think people are going to lay over for you," Smith said. "Are you reading all your press clippings that talk about how you're supposed to go to the Super Bowl and you forgot how to play the game? You forgot your love and your passion. You've got to bring all those things to the table.

"The money comes when you go places. I'm looking for guys that are hungry to make their mark in history. And that's by winning Super Bowls. That's making a defining moment."

i believe these things they have already learned...now lets hope they FINISH

Mansta54

Reaction score
Rampage;2461476 said:
either he's trying to fire up the team with these comments, is still really stupid, or maybe he's right.

:hammer:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
this has been a mediocore team.

nothing wrong with that if the effort is there going forward that has been there the last five games, minus the second half of the giants game.

Mistakes are one thing, Losing is one thing. Looking unfocused, unprepared and lacking effort is another.

So its all about tomorrow.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emmitt also said that a gumbo doesn't change its stripes, which makes a lot of sense, if you really think about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ajk23az;2461473 said:
"When they beat San Francisco and the Seattle Seahawks, they were supposed to beat them. That's like beating the St. Louis Rams, who they lost to. I can't get excited. So now, this week is the litmus test for me to see how they handle the Pittsburgh Steelers.
I agree with everything Smith is saying, but only partially this. I don't feel that the Steelers will be the litmus test. If the team decides to bring it in all phases of its game, IT SHOULD BEAT PITTSBURGH.

On paper, Dallas is better than the Steelers, but games aren't played on paper. That held true with the Rams and the Cardinals as well, both of which were very winnable games with or without injuries to key players, but both of which ended in losses.

No, I still feel that Dallas' true test will be the Giants, the team which did it's part to end the Cowboys season last year and helped make Dallas look inept this season. New York's the monkey on our back and unless the team decides that its time to stop playing "just good enough", the Giants will be getting the last laugh this year too.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Idgit;2461502 said:
Emmitt also said that a gumbo doesn't change its stripes, which makes a lot of sense, if you really think about it.

what? youve never had striped gumbo....? :lmao2:

Primetime42

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2461481 said:
You can tell Emmitt's trying to light a spark, in his own eccentric way.

Doubt it matters.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dave_in-NC;2461481 said:
Truthfully, a win over the Giants and Philly would mean more. A win over the Steelers would be just another win to me.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The 1993 Cowboys also were a mediocre 8-4 at this point in the season, had struggled to win when they weren't at full strength and were trailing the Giants in the NFC East standings.

Fortunately for them, NFL seasons are 16 games, not 12.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
This group has shown a lack of heart in the past couple years when the chips were down. The biggest chips in over a decade are on the table. Now is their chance to prove they have the balls to be a champion. I look forward to the next 25 days. Let the chips fall.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ajk23az;2461473 said:

Say what you want but Emmitt is right on the money here.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2461516 said:
The 1993 Cowboys also were a mediocre 8-4 at this point in the season, had struggled to win when they weren't at full strength and were trailing the Giants in the NFC East standings.

Fortunately for them, NFL seasons are 16 games, not 12.

We only trailed the Giants by one game that year. Of our 4 losses, Emmitt held out the first 2 games, and then Emmitt was injured in the Thanksgiving week games(to be fair, we had the Fins game locked up until...).

That team is much better than this one.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2461515 said:
Truthfully, a win over the Giants and Philly would mean more. A win over the Steelers would be just another win to me.

Yup, if we're going to lose one, I'd much rather Baltimore or Pittsburg than Philly or the Giants.