DMN: Emmitt Smith; "Cowboys are just mediocre"

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
#22 is spot on. He's earned the right to say everything he said in that interview

The Panch

Reaction score
Everything he said was absolutely true. This team is living off what the teams of the 70s and 90s built and not going about things how they did when they're backs were against the wall. They just fold and beating two NFC West jokes and a tanking Skins team doesnt prove we've got our swagger back.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
you know at first i thought what he said was stupid but now homer glasses off he makes some solid points...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I loved Emmitt as a player. In my eyes, the best that this franchise ever had.

But I can't say I respect him much as an analyst. I know he knows the game of football much better than I, but it's just hard to take what he has to say seriously at times.

I can't say I even bothered to read the story because, frankly, I just don't care.

No more than when Deion blabs on and on.

BadKarma

Reaction score
Emmitt is indirectly trying to motivate this team by telling it as he sees it.

Having Brad Johnson starting didn't help...but the way the defense played, and failing to step up, knowing the offense wasn't going to win the games for them, was a bit disappointing.

This team needs to trust and believe in themselves -- start playing as a unit on a mission. If they ain't motivated now, knowing their chances are dwindling, they ain't never gonna be under this regime.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Emmitt just pointed out the big elephant in the room, so I guess that is OK.

After the Boys beat Pittsburgh, we'll all know that the players are walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

I'm really looking forward to Sunday, when the Dallas Cowboys show the whole country that they are for real.

Superbowl here we come, whee boy!!!!

:starspin :starspin :starspin

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Think "reverse psychology" folks. Don't get too caught up. Emmitt is trying to get this team fired up for these last 4 tough games and I like his motives...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I admit I felt the same way after Arizona....they let a team, that is not even physical, put guys out for the year because their bodies were in Arizona but their brains were on the beach.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
He's right.

Beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh...then things can be different.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
theebs;2461498 said:
this has been a mediocore team.

nothing wrong with that if the effort is there going forward that has been there the last five games, minus the second half of the giants game.

Mistakes are one thing, Losing is one thing. Looking unfocused, unprepared and lacking effort is another.

So its all about tomorrow.

:hammer:

Although I am still excited about this season however if we loose to the steagles it would definitely throw cold water on my enthusiasm.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Aikbach;2461524 said:
Is Emmitt still a diamond surrounded by poo poo, as he famously was quoted in 2002? I agree the team has underwhelmed as whole but they have the tools to be in the race come January.

This is exactly Emmitt's point. And I totally agree with him. We have some players, but I want a team that plays hard - every player, every down. Every single down. And we've down that very rarely the last several years.

I hate hearing all that "take what they give us, react to what they're doing" garbage. I think that is a loser's mentality. Dictate the tempo, dictate the play, be more physical, be tougher, want it more on every snap.

That's what those early 90's teams did and that's what the Giants did last year whether we like it or not. Until the Cowboys have THAT attitude, I agree with Emmitt that we are mediocre. And for a Cowboy's fan, mediocre should be anything less than a Super Bowl.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
We are "mediocre". We are nothing. Until we go and win something important, that's just what we are. Especially when compared to some of the teams Emmitt has played on.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2461515 said:
Truthfully, a win over the Giants and Philly would mean more. A win over the Steelers would be just another win to me.

I dunno, I think it would catapault us into our two-game home stand and set us up nicely for total dominance.

We must have this game. The buffet is pretty robust.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Although I am still excited about this season however if we loose to the steagles it would definitely throw cold water on my enthusiasm.

There is no tomorrow!

Verdict

Reaction score
If we have too much salt or too much meat in the gumbo how do we fix it? I don't know of any way to take salt out of gumbo, and I doubt you would be too successful in fishing the meat out of gumbo, although I guess it is technically possible. Maybe he is saying we need to add additional amounts of other ingrediants to dilute the salt and/or meat. Emmitt is definitely on a higher level than we are. He is wise.

I think Emmitt might be the most grammatically correct person I have ever had the pleasure of listening to as well. He is a commentating genius.

Brian_C82

Reaction score
Verdict;2462508 said:
If we have too much salt or too much meat in the gumbo how do we fix it? I don't know of any way to take salt out of gumbo, and I doubt you would be too successful in fishing the meat out of gumbo, although I guess it is technically possible. Maybe he is saying we need to add additional amounts of other ingrediants to dilute the salt and/or meat. Emmitt is definitely on a higher level than we are. He is wise.

I think Emmitt might be the most grammatically correct person I have ever had the pleasure of listening to as well. He is a commentating genius.

The salt can be removed with a reverse osmosis membrane. Emmitt knows about this because he's from Florida and Florida is surrounded by salt water. He has a college degree and is sooper smart!