News: DMN: Gosselin: Cowboys' division rival, and many other teams, just broke the No. 1 rule of...

Spectre

Reaction score
Those are some reedonkulous contracts for slightly better than average players. Who pays these morons that make these decisions and when are they gonna call and give me that job?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
As the cap goes up, so will the contracts. Get used to it. There's been over $600M in cap space added league-wide over the past 2 years.

You either pony up or sit on the sidelines.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I don't have to "break down the article" to see that people who routinely bash Goose as a 'know nothing' hack were praising him because it was convenient

I have now explained my point at a 5th grade level do I hope you finally understand

When Goose makes a better case than some other folks, those folks should probably take pause.

Though Goose's one strength has always been the draft. Not sure about his free agency chops.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I'm

I didn't say Goose was wrong, my point was that people who usually dismiss him as a complete hack are suddenly holding him up as a beacon of sense when he is saying something try agree with which is disingenuous

Having said that, most good NFL teams build through a combination of draft and FA. Sometimes that means over paying for players. The question is who you pay. Our FO is a dumpster fire of incompetent people who have no context for making decisions so they are completely reactionary in their decisions. They have historically given bad contracts to over rated players only to have it blow up in their faces. So now they have over reacted as usual and tried to play it safe by just avoiding signing any difference makers at all. Both extremes are bad and the team, the product on the field and the fans suffer as a result

Both extremes are bad for the team
.....:hammer::hammer::hammer:

daveferr33

Reaction score
I have no problem with the team avoiding the big-money signings.

But if the Cowboys had been the ones who did what the Giants did, the same group praising our fiscal conservation would be singing the praises of the Jones Boys.

davey999

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said it "hopefully you don't have to jump into free agency". Therein lies the issue - they think they have a good team - and the results show they simply don't.
It's ridiculous to compare to the Packers and Patriots as they are much better than the Cowboys. Delusional.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones said it "hopefully you don't have to jump into free agency". Therein lies the issue - they think they have a good team - and the results show they simply don't.
It's ridiculous to compare to the Packers and Patriots as they are much better than the Cowboys. Delusional.

I get that point... And you're right, it's a team with a lot of weaknesses.

But it's also a team without a lot of cap space... Both this year and next.

To spend a wad yesterday, would have been akin to having a $5,000 budget to redo your kitchen and spending 1/2 of it on granite counter-tops. Yeah the granite is nice but there are less expensive and still nice-looking alternatives out there... so you don't end up using a Styrofoam cooler for your refrigerator because you're out of money.

Yesterday was "Drunken Sailor Day" in the NFL.

I applaud every single contract every other team entered into because I know 2 years from know most of those contracts are going to look pretty ******.

davey999

Reaction score

To spend a wad yesterday, would have been akin to having a $5,000 budget to redo your kitchen and spending 1/2 of it on granite counter-tops. Yeah the granite is nice but there are less expensive and still nice-looking alternatives out there... so you don't end up using a Styrofoam cooler for your refrigerator because you're out of money.

I applaud every single contract every other team entered into because I know 2 years from know most of those contracts are going to look pretty ****ty.

Ok. That's fine. Then let's re-tool the whole team, then. No more guys like Hardy, McFadden etc. We shouldn't even go after Thornton.
Draft a QB at 4.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
As the cap goes up, so will the contracts. Get used to it. There's been over $600M in cap space added league-wide over the past 2 years.

You either pony up or sit on the sidelines.

The money is the money. I do not understand why people focus on that alone.

If the team improves, that is the desired result. Nobody cares if a team comes off as thrifty and gets value. All that matters is the player contribution.

The biggest issue is when teams sign players to huge deals and they don't end up fitting in well to the scheme etc. That is a far bigger mistake than "overpaying" someone.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I would rather this team focus on signing their own players. They have 3 O-lineman to take care of in the next 2-3 years. If spending like crazy would put them at risk of of not being able to keep those players then it would not be worth it, and if Murray was a Dallas FA this off season instead of last off season then he likely stays a Cowboy. I say stay the course, clean up any more salary cap issues and stay out of salary cap h***.

A lot of this teams future might ride on the draft, 9 picks I believe and the 4th overall.

I for one doubt our 4-12 record is an accurate reflection of the talent on this team...if Romo and Dez were healthy last season we win the division going away.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. That's fine. Then let's re-tool the whole team, then. No more guys like Hardy, McFadden etc. We shouldn't even go after Thornton.
Draft a QB at 4.

I understand more about Hardy... but McFadden? The team spent $2.31 and got a 1,000 yard rusher out of it. To me that's what they need to do more of.

Sydla

Reaction score

I applaud every single contract every other team entered into because I know 2 years from know most of those contracts are going to look pretty ****ty.

Again, there's that strawman......... spend a "wad".

Other than a handful of random posters here, has the general tone been that the Cowboys should have thrown around tons and tons of cash yesterday? Nope.

Most of the levelheaded posters have suggested there were a couple of players out there that could have helped that signed very team friendly deals that are not even in the realm of what Vernon or Jenkins got.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would rather this team focus on signing their own players. They have 3 O-lineman to take care of in the next 2-3 years. If spending like crazy would put them at risk of of not being able to keep those players then it would not be worth it, and if Murray was a Dallas FA this off season instead of last off season then he likely stays a Cowboy. I say stay the course, clean up any more salary cap issues and stay out of salary cap h***.

A lot of this teams future might ride on the draft, 9 picks I believe and the 4th overall.

I for one doubt our 4-12 record is an accurate reflection of the talent on this team...if Romo and Dez were healthy last season we win the division going away.

There's no such thing as salary cap hell. The cap will continue to explode in coming years, the Cowboys have some long term deals to young guys that can be restructutred with little pain to create as much cap room as they need. That doesn't mean the team should have signed Jenkins for the ridiculous deal he got yesterday, but they easily cuold have afforded a Lamar Miller, who they clearly seemed to like but got cold feet at his price.

I think people need to really come to the conclusion that the 4-12 record we saw last year is actually a pretty good reflection of the team we have. 2015 saw all kinds of teams win games with backup QBs. We couldn't win one. If this team was truly a 12-4 team talent wise, was truly a team that could run away with the division a make noise in the 2015 playoffs, then they would have won more than ZERO GAMES with Weeden or Cassell.

The fact they couldnt' win even one freaking game with a backup QB should tell unbiased, levelheaded fans that this team simply is not as talented as people think they are. I'd say particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, there's that strawman......... spend a "wad".

Other than a handful of random posters here, has the general tone been that the Cowboys should have thrown around tons and tons of cash yesterday? Nope.

Most of the levelheaded posters have suggested there were a couple of players out there that could have helped that signed very team friendly deals that are not even in the realm of what Vernon or Jenkins got.

Which contracts were "team friendly?" and represented a true need for the organization?

IrishAnto

Reaction score

Amen Brother!

P.S. I prefer Corain worktops myself, expensive but worth the money o_O

Sydla

Reaction score
Which contracts were "team friendly?" and represented a true need for the organization?

Well clearly the Cowboys wanted a TB as they pursued Miller and reached out about Murray.

The deal Miller signed was very reasonable with only $14MM in guaranteed money to a 25 year old TB. Even less guaranteed money they were willing to give a 27 year old Murray a year ago.

Mario Williams signed a very reasonable contract. $8MM this year and then the Dolphins can walk from him in year 2 with a $2MM or less cap hit, which in today's cap world is really nothing. I am sure you are going to argue that's not a good contract but if you look around at what pass rushing ends are getting paid, it is. Shoot, Clayborn got nearly $5MM a year and he's likely half the DE Williams is.