DMN: If Tashard Choice Can't Play, Cut Him Loose

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I agree, even though more carries the better from Barber for my FF team :D. Choice has been running really really well, he should get 5-8 carries imo.

If Tashard Choice can't play, cut him loose
2:43 PM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/Choice-thumb-250x199.jpg

The Cowboys won't confirm it (now they did, Felix is officially out), but I seriously doubt that Felix Jones plays this Sunday. That means we'll see a ton of Marion Barber.

We've heard that the coaching staff likes third-stringer Tashard Choice. But when we asked Wade Phillips about Choice today, he didn't exactly give the fourth-round draft pick from Georgia Tech a ringing endorsement.

"He can play some, and I think he's come along well there and we've worked him more certainly," Phillips said. "But I'm looking forward to Marion have a good game this game."

Frankly, I don't get it. It seemed that Choice made some good runs during the preseason, as this photo illustrates. (Choice wore No. 29 until Keith Davis was signed. Then, Choice switched to No. 23.) Nobody was complaining about Choice then. He had five carries for 26 yards in garbage time against Cleveland. Then, he didn't get another carry until the Tampa Bay game. He had five carries for 27 yards against the Giants - all in the second half.

I don't understand why Barber is viewed as the only option against the Commanders. The Commanders have no problem running out Ladell Betts, Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright in place of Clinton Portis. Shouldn't Choice be good enough at this point to get about a half-dozen carries or so? If not, then why is he on this team?

(Photo by DMN's John F. Rhodes)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
That's just Wade, he doesn't trust anybody, this whole staff has no faith in any player they bring in, unless he's 40 years old and has a noodle arm. In which case they've got nothing but faith.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I do agree that Wade is naturally risk averse, but I don't blame him on this. A rookie RB can put Romo on IR if he doesn't fully grasp his blocking responsibilities. Who wants to see Brooks Bollinger start the rest of the year because a rookie missed his blitz pickup assignment? The risk/reward ratio might be worth it if the rookie can take the ball 70 yards to the house every time he touches it like Felix, but Choice is just a serviceable talent.

The Commanders have no problem running out Ladell Betts, Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright in place of Clinton Portis. Shouldn't Choice be good enough at this point to get about a half-dozen carries or so? If not, then why is he on this team?

Shouldn't this guy do an ounce of homework before opening his yap? Portis is the most overworked back in the NFL.

Temo

Reaction score
This is stupid. Sometimes I wonder why it seems like anyone can become a sports writer, since many of them don't even do their research.

I mean really... comparing them to the Commanders? The Commanders run Portis into the freaking ground whenever they get the chance.

Carry Distribution:

cartwright- 4
Betts - 38
Alexander - 10
Portis - 200

Barber - 172
Jones - 30
Choice - 12

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
What a dumb blog item.

First he claims that "Barber is viewed as the only option against the Commanders," which obviously isn't the case and isn't what Wade said.

Then he bemoans that Choice isn't good enough to get "about a half-dozen carries or so," shortly after he mentioned that Choice got about a half-dozen carries last game.

First MacMahon and now this guy? Where does the DMN keep finding them?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2418440 said:
I do agree that Wade is naturally risk averse, but I don't blame him on this. A rookie RB can put Romo on IR if he doesn't fully grasp his blocking responsibilities. The risk/reward ratio might be worth it if the rookie can take the ball 70 yards to the house every time he touches it like Felix, but that's not Choice.

Why was he good enough to play in Week 1?

Did he forget since theen?

This speaks to a bigger problem and the same line can be applied to plenty of players who somehow can't ever see the field.

Why is (insert name here) here?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418447 said:

This speaks to a bigger problem and the same line can be applied to plenty of players who somehow can't ever see the field.

Maybe he missed assignments in Week 1, which is why he hasn't played much since.

And not every position can end your season with a mental mistake the way not picking up a free LB on a blitz can. Mike Jenkins misses an assignment, we give up 6 points. Choice misses an assignment, Romo is on IR.

Temo

Reaction score
Also: why is he on the team?

Because he's a third string RB. He's there for his Special Team production first and foremost. If he can run a little on top of that (which it seems like he can), then all the better.

Aven8

Reaction score
Man I'm sick of Wade! He's starting to sound like Parcells. Do you think the Giants were scared to use Bradshaw last year??? Now look at there production with three backs. If we play with Barber the whole game it's going to be a long flight home.

Temo

Reaction score
stasheroo;2418447 said:

He played in garbage time week 1.

Also, while I do aknowledge that Phillips can be overly loyal to his players, this is not one of those occasions. We're talking about a third string RB. He's a special teamer first, a RB second.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2418450 said:
Maybe he missed assignments in Week 1, which is why he hasn't played much since.

And not every position can end your season with a mental mistake the way not picking up a free LB on a blitz can. Mike Jenkins misses an assignment, we give up 6 points. Choice misses an assignment, Romo is on IR.

Then Deon Anderson should definitely sit.

His half-arsed blocking attempt cost us Romo for the past month.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418447 said:

He carried five times in Week 1 because we were ahead by 18 points with less than four minutes remaining.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Aven8;2418452 said:
Man I'm sick of Wade! He's starting to sound like Parcells. Do you think the Giants were scared to use Bradshaw last year??? Now look at there production with three backs. If we play with Barber the whole game it's going to be a long flight home.

And Dallas has played quite a few rookies as well this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;2418456 said:
He carried five times in Week 1 because we were ahead by 18 points with less than four minutes remaining.

Again, if his not playing is about his pass blocking, why is Deion Anderson still playing?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Yeah we should cut all the backups, I mean hell they arent starting then they shouldnt be here

Temo

Reaction score
stasheroo;2418458 said:
Again, if his not playing is about his pass blocking, why is Deion Anderson still playing?

That's not the reason he's not playing. It's because Barber is a superior player, and you can't expect a third string back to get more than 5 carries a game (which he did last game).

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418458 said:

Cause he's a fullback, and contrary to popular belief, fullbacks aren't necessarily good pass blockers. They actually tend to not have the lateral quickness to pick up complex blitzes.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the sarcasm of the article though.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Aven8;2418452 said:
Do you think the Giants were scared to use Bradshaw last year???

Bradshaw got a total of six carries in the first 14 games last season. Choice already has twice as many.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2418459 said:
Yeah we should cut all the backups, I mean hell they arent starting then they shouldnt be here

The 'backups' aren't playing when the team needs them either.

I guess that means they're not really backups, are they?