DMN: If Tashard Choice Can't Play, Cut Him Loose

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think the premise of the article is right...just written wrong.

Choice should get more carries when it matters, to keep MBIII fresh for the fourth quarter.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2418450 said:
Maybe he missed assignments in Week 1, which is why he hasn't played much since.
And Bryan Broaddus was saying that even though Tony Curtis got all the blame for that punt block in Arizona, it could have been Choice that screwed up. He said he wasn't sure, but the entire line blocked down one way and Choice was the only guy who didn't shift the same way as everyone else.

If he messed that up to lose the game and put our kicker out for the year, I don't blame Wade for not trusting him. Someone in this thread mentioned Parcells, but Parcells was absolutely right on that one. You can't put a guy in there that could possibly get your franchise QB hurt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2418461 said:
Cause he's a fullback, and contrary to popular belief, fullbacks aren't necessarily good pass blockers. They actually tend to not have the lateral quickness to pick up complex blitzes.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the sarcasm of the article though.

Coupled with being a mediocre blocker, average receiver and non-existant runner, it looks like he's the total package!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2418465 said:
And Bryan Broaddus was saying that even though Tony Curtis got all the blame for that punt block in Arizona, it could have been Choice that screwed up. He said he wasn't sure, but the entire line blocked down one way and Choice was the only guy who didn't shift the same way as everyone else.

If he messed that up to lose the game and put our kicker out for the year, I don't blame Wade for not trusting him.

If he did, fine. There are several options:

Take him off the special teams, or deactivate him - or cut him if he's that bad.

Chocolate Lab said:
Someone in this thread mentioned Parcells, but Parcells was absolutely right on that one. You can't put a guy in there that could possibly get your franchise QB hurt.

Then Deon Anderson shouldn't be out there.

He's already accomplished that once this season.

Aven8

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2418462 said:
Bradshaw got a total of six carries in the first 14 games last season. Choice already has twice as many.

He was the 3rd and there 2nd stringer didn't get hurt.

With Felix out, Choice is now 2nd string. He needs some carries to at least keep Was. guessing.

Bradshaw came out in that Buffalo game last year.

I love me some MBIII but IMHO we look really slow on offense since he's been the starter.

wilatino_98

Reaction score
today's nfl teams need 2 running backs to carry the load we need choice to pick up the slack , cause barber wont last with his punishing style running but hey if the pokes lose barber to an injury yall will be up on wade grill , i think rookies can carry the load just give them a chance . at th same time NR 11 is not a rookie but he only plays on 3rd down . ok thats my rant , ohh btw chris johnson having a good year and hes a rookie !

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418463 said:
The 'backups' aren't playing when the team needs them either.

I guess that means they're not really backups, are they?

Thats funny everytime a starter has went down unable to play his backup has come in the game. You want rotations which is not how most teams work especially on the OLine. As for the rest our backup safeties have played, backup LBs have played, backup CBs have played, backup DLine have played, backup QB have played, backup WRs have played, backup TE has played.

So your real issue is the 3rd string RB isnt getting 10 carried, or the OLine doesnt get rotated.

So like I saidyou arent wanting backups you want starters

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418466 said:
Coupled with being a mediocre blocker, average receiver and non-existant runner, it looks like he's the total package!

He's learning like everyone else. He's a late round pick, and we don't use the FB a lot anyway. He's also an above average receiver (for a FB) and runner after the catch. That's actually why he's on the roster and how he got put on the NFL radar to begin with coming out of college, they are hoping to develop his blocking.

Kilyin

Reaction score
stasheroo;2418466 said:

Doesn't eating crickets add a bit to his credibility as well?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2418473 said:
Thats funny everytime a starter has went down unable to play his backup has come in the game. You want rotations which is not how most teams work especially on the OLine. As for the rest our backup safeties have played, backup LBs have played, backup CBs have played, backup DLine have played, backup QB have played, backup WRs have played, backup TE has played.

Really?

How injured does Flozell Adams need to be before McQuistan or Free see the field?

Does one of his arms or hands actually need to fall off?

Heck, Adams was struggling and Free wasn't even active!

It's like the James Marten situation all over again!

That guy got moved away from any spot where he might actually have to see the field!

Right up until the time they realized how truly useless the guy was and cut their losses.

BigDFan5 said:
So your real issue is the 3rd string RB isnt getting 10 carried, or the OLine doesnt get rotated.

So like I saidyou arent wanting backups you want starters

No, I'm not looking for any sort of rotation, just guys that are apparently so incapable of contributing not wasting roster spots.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2418474 said:
He's learning like everyone else. He's a late round pick, and we don't use the FB a lot anyway. He's also an above average receiver (for a FB) and runner after the catch. That's actually why he's on the roster and how he got put on the NFL radar to begin with coming out of college, they are hoping to develop his blocking.

How many years until that happens?

Peyton Hillis seems to have picked it up pretty well in Denver, in addition to several other skills.

He was a late round pick too.

Yeah, but we got Erik Walden instead.

Oh wait...

Was it you that had the Wade Phillips 'dunce cap' picture?

If so, you should have kept it.

If you still have it, I'd like to borrow it.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Choice should only come in if Barber needs to come out. I have been a really big fan of Choice and wanting him to see the field. Having said that we really need to keep the ball in the hands of our best players. Don't forget who put us into overtime in AZ. The more Barber touches the ball the better. IMO choice should get around six carries and barber should get 22.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2418495 said:
Choice should only come in if Barber needs to come out. I have been a really big fan of Choice and wanting him to see the field. Having said that we really need to keep the ball in the hands of our best players. Don't forget who put us into overtime in AZ. The more Barber touches the ball the better. IMO choice should get around six carries and barber should get 22.

Yep.

The time to jack around and see what the rookie can do for giggles and grins has passed. The Cowboys have their backs against the wall are almost in a playoff situation from here on out. Its time to put the ball in the hands of the guys who is a few months removed from playing in the Pro Bowl, not the guy who is a few month removed from playing Duke. It would be one thing if Choice had a special playmaking ability like Felix does, but he's just a servicable mid round talent. If the Cowboys are out of the playoff picture by the end of the year, give the ball to Choice 30 times a game in Week 16 for all I care (as long as it's Brooks Bollinger handing off to him).

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418481 said:
Really?

How injured does Flozell Adams need to be before McQuistan or Free see the field?

Does one of his arms or hands actually need to fall off?

Heck, Adams was struggling and Free wasn't even active!

It's like the James Marten situation all over again!

That guy got moved away from any spot where he might actually have to see the field!

Right up until the time they realized how truly useless the guy was and cut their losses.

No, I'm not looking for any sort of rotation, just guys that are apparently so incapable of contributing not wasting roster spots.

Flozell was not hurt enough to not play obviously

So thats it? Your whole complaint is ONE player didnt come in when you deemed he should have? So your whole "they arent backups if they dont play when the team needs them" was all based on ONE player who the TEAM didnt feel it needed?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2418499 said:
Yep.

The time to jack around and see what the rookie can do for giggles and grins has passed. The Cowboys have their backs against the wall are almost in a playoff situation from here on out. Its time to put the ball in the hands of the guys who is a few months removed from playing in the Pro Bowl, not the guy who is a few month removed from playing Duke. It would be one thing if Choice had a special playmaking ability like Felix does, but he's just a servicable mid round talent.

I would most definitely agree.

But I don't think that's what the author's intent was, at least I didn't take it that way.

What I thought he was trying to say is that Choice can contribute, at least in some way and should at least be given the opportunity to do so.

But there seems to be a train of thought to stick with status quo at all costs, even when it's not the best move.

See: Henry, Anthony or Ellis, Greg on the defensive side or Adams, Flozell on the offensive side

Hopefully, Adams' struggles were strictly injury-related and the two weeks off have done him a world of good.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Flo's problems are contract related lol. I'm not saying he should not contribute at all. Some carries for the kid would be better for the whole IMO. Lets just not get carried away with giving him too many.

isawoj

Reaction score
Marion Barber College Stats
Year Att.
Yards
Avg.
TD
Total

Tashard Choice College Stats
Stats OverviewRushingReceivingFumblesYEARATTYDSAVGLNGTDRECYDSAVGLNGTDFUMLST2004221004.5140177.0700020051175134.432614765.417000200629714735.0461212988.218000200726113795.37310141077.617000

Rushing Totals 697 3465 4.8 28

Both 4th round draft picks and while Barber was more productive with less carries, he also played with Laurence Maroney and was often in the backfield at the same time with him.

I'm not saying Choice is better than Barber, but those that make an open and shut case that Barber is head and shoulders better than Choice are just biased (I'm a Choice fan, hence my defending him). Choice is still an unknown, but based on his college performance, especially as the only offensive weapon Tech had his Senior year, the guy has something to offer.

Also, this past draft was much deeper at RB than Barber's draft class.

Having said all that, my takeaway from the article is that, if you aren't going to use him, why waste a 4th round pick on him? He NEVER played special teams in college and if you were looking for a special teams contributor only, then you should have picked a defensive back or linebacker or any other player that would have a bigger impact on special teams and could be groomed for depth.

-EDIT- Sorry about the stats. The totals are really what matter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2418502 said:
Flozell was not hurt enough to not play obviously

Just hurt enough to not play well.

BigDFan5 said:
So thats it? Your whole complaint is ONE player didnt come in when you deemed he should have? So your whole "they arent backups if they dont play when the team needs them" was all based on ONE player who the TEAM didnt feel it needed?

Nope.

McQuistan also sucked at guard when Kosier got hurt. That's two spots and counting where he couldn't contribute.

And Free isn't even active half the time.

Brad Johnson should never have been here given his total lack of ability at this point, yet he was - and still is!

My point is that if a player shows no signs of contributing, then they shouldn't have a roster spot.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Aven8;2418470 said:
He was the 3rd and there 2nd stringer didn't get hurt.

Jacobs got hurt and missed five games. Ward got hurt, missed four games, came back for one game, then went on IR. And still Bradshaw got only six carries COMBINED in those games.

Randy White

Reaction score
TheCount;2418433 said:
That's just Wade, he doesn't trust anybody, this whole staff has no faith in any player they bring in, unless he's 40 years old and has a noodle arm. In which case they've got nothing but faith.

WORD...!!!

:eek: