DMN: If Tashard Choice Can't Play, Cut Him Loose

Temo

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418617 said:
I'm not comparing their 1st years in the league

just that Jacobs is a pretty good back, but he's still splitting carries w/ Ward

Yea, and Ward is not at all comparable to Choice at this point in their careers.

When Felix Jones was in there, they were splitting carries.

In any case, if you want to complain about guys not getting carries, talk about Garrett. You really think Garrett would let Wade tell him how many touches to give to a guy? It's his offense, through and through. Wade's just a cheerleader when the offense is on the field.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2418563 said:
Exactly!!!! I would rather have seen 49 year old, out of shape, weed toking, hard hat wearing Nate Newton at Left Guard the last few weeks over Proctor.

Or Larry Allen.

There is no way LA could be worse than Proctor, or as useless as Holland, Berger, Mcquistan or Free.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Temo;2418623 said:
Yea, and Ward is not at all comparable to Choice at this point in their careers.

their careers have nothing to do w/ anything, RB is a pretty easy position to transition to in the pros

it's taken Ward this long to be where he's at because he's battled injuries

Temo said:
When Felix Jones was in there, they were splitting carries.

no they weren't

Temo said:
In any case, if you want to complain about guys not getting carries, talk about Garrett. You really think Garrett would let Wade tell him how many touches to give to a guy? It's his offense, through and through. Wade's just a cheerleader when the offense is on the field.

Wade is the HC though, and he has a preference for vets that gets ridiculous

witness Brad starting

isawoj

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2418545 said:
People are just like little kids that want this year's new Christmas toy. They want to play with it so bad, but after a few hours they get bored they'll throw them in the closet and never think twice about them. Especially when they get next year's new shiny Christmas toy to distract them. Choice is currently the new Christmas toy. Ohhhh ... so shiny.
Thanks for the indepth analysis regarding Choice. Also, thank you for so thoroughly addressing why teams all over the league play a two back system and why rookie RB's are playing for other teams but not the Cowboys.

Your input has proven invaluable.

isawoj

Reaction score
These thoughts that Choice is bad at pass blocking is unfounded. When has a caoch specifically used that as a reason he isn't getting carries?

For all of Chan Gailey's faults as a coach, he did run a pro style offense at Tech with Choice as an every down back.

With the huge glut of running backs in the last draft, Choice was seen as a well-rounded back that wasn't a homerun hitter, but was thought of as one of the better blockers in the passing game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
isawoj;2418645 said:
These thoughts that Choice is bad at pass blocking is unfounded. When has a caoch specifically used that as a reason he isn't getting carries?​

For all of Chan Gailey's faults as a coach, he did run a pro style offense at Tech with Choice as an every down back.​

With the huge glut of running backs in the last draft, Choice was seen as a well-rounded back that wasn't a homerun hitter, but was thought of as one of the better blockers in the passing game.​

it seems that the Wade's scared mentality has trickled down to the fans

Reaction score
ajk23az;2418421 said:
I agree, even though more carries the better from Barber for my FF team :D. Choice has been running really really well, he should get 5-8 carries imo.

If Tashard Choice can't play, cut him loose
2:43 PM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/Choice-thumb-250x199.jpg

The Cowboys won't confirm it (now they did, Felix is officially out), but I seriously doubt that Felix Jones plays this Sunday. That means we'll see a ton of Marion Barber.

We've heard that the coaching staff likes third-stringer Tashard Choice. But when we asked Wade Phillips about Choice today, he didn't exactly give the fourth-round draft pick from Georgia Tech a ringing endorsement.

"He can play some, and I think he's come along well there and we've worked him more certainly," Phillips said. "But I'm looking forward to Marion have a good game this game."

Frankly, I don't get it. It seemed that Choice made some good runs during the preseason, as this photo illustrates. (Choice wore No. 29 until Keith Davis was signed. Then, Choice switched to No. 23.) Nobody was complaining about Choice then. He had five carries for 26 yards in garbage time against Cleveland. Then, he didn't get another carry until the Tampa Bay game. He had five carries for 27 yards against the Giants - all in the second half.

I don't understand why Barber is viewed as the only option against the Commanders. The Commanders have no problem running out Ladell Betts, Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright in place of Clinton Portis. Shouldn't Choice be good enough at this point to get about a half-dozen carries or so? If not, then why is he on this team?

(Photo by DMN's John F. Rhodes)

Stupid article.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
What ever happen to developing late round picks sometimes they have talent and need time to learn the instant gratification society is striking the media.

Ok next up why the heck did we pay Barber that freakin contract if he can not carry the rock 20+ times a game for 4-5 games

:bang2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2418663 said:
What ever happen to developing late round picks sometimes they have talent and need time to learn the instant gratification society is striking the media.

Ok next up why the heck did we pay Barber that freakin contract if he can not carry the rock 20+ times a game for 4-5 games

:bang2:

we paid Barber to keep him in Dallas

he's not an Emmitt Smith, he can't toke the rock 20+ times a game, every game, well, he probably could at a 3.9 yard clip

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418488 said:
How many years until that happens?

Peyton Hillis seems to have picked it up pretty well in Denver, in addition to several other skills.

He was a late round pick too.

Yeah, but we got Erik Walden instead.

Oh wait...

Was it you that had the Wade Phillips 'dunce cap' picture?

If so, you should have kept it.

If you still have it, I'd like to borrow it.

:laugh2:

Here you go.

http://i61.***BLOCKED***/albums/h77/legendz28/firewp-1.jpg

And yes, Walden was a dumb pick for a lot of reasons. I'll never forget when we drafted him, and even the ESPN guys were stunned. To stun people in the 6th round with your pick takes some skill. That doesn't just happen, you have to put effort into it. You could almost hear people scrambling to try and find ANY tape of him.

Temo

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418639 said:
no they weren't [splitting carries]

For the 5 games where Felix was completely healthy, he got 22.5% of the carries between himself and Barber.

Ward has gotten 35.7% of the carries between himself and Jacobs. Now consider that Ward had already established himself last year... are we really going to argue that Felix Jones wasn't splitting carries?

Wade is the HC though, and he has a preference for vets that gets ridiculous

I agree on the latter, but the offense is Garret's. I cant' fathom anyone thinking that Wade actually tells him "Don't involve Choice, lets ride Barber".

Kilyin

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418670 said:
he's not an Emmitt Smith, he can't toke the rock 20+ times a game, every game, well, he probably could at a 3.9 yard clip

Emmitt is toking the rock? Sometimes during his bids as an 'analyst', I don't doubt it.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
stasheroo;2418447 said:
Why was he good enough to play in Week 1?

Did he forget since theen?

This speaks to a bigger problem and the same line can be applied to plenty of players who somehow can't ever see the field.

Why is (insert name here) here?

Correct. We can start with Flo's backup.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm getting a little tired of this inability to trust players to step up and play. Choice has shown he can make some plays so let the guy have the friggen ball a little bit.

isawoj

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2418718 said:
I'm getting a little tired of this inability to trust players to step up and play. Choice has shown he can make some plays so let the guy have the friggen ball a little bit.
Exactly!

As a huge Georgia Tech fan, I have been open about my desire to see Choice play, but I am also a realist.

I had fully expected, as probably 75% of NFL teams have done this year, to see Choice, expecially after the Jones injury, to get a couple of games with 10+ carries.

I will be the first to concede failure if Choice is gifen a chance and doesn't produce.

A chance to contribute would be nice without people without any football knowledge chiming in would be nice.

Why does everyone think Carpeter is a bust? Becasue he played enoguh to determine that he is a HUGE bust.

All I ask from fans is not to buy the BS coming from Valley Ranch about Choice not being ready and keep an open mind until he has a chance to fail the team.

If he fails, then tear him apart. Until then, there is not much of an argument that he is any less of a prospect than Barber was his rookie year. Anyone who doesn't think that reasonable probably lives in Minnesota.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Temo;2418710 said:
For the 5 games where Felix was completely healthy, he got 22.5% of the carries between himself and Barber.

including the Washington game where he didn't receive a single carry

Temo said:
Ward has gotten 35.7% of the carries between himself and Jacobs. Now consider that Ward had already established himself last year... are we really going to argue that Felix Jones wasn't splitting carries?

if you watched the games, do you truly believe that Felix was "splitting carries"? he looked more like a change-up Garrett threw at defenses to me

waiting for a player to establish himself before incorporating him sounds pretty stupid to me

Temo said:
I agree on the latter, but the offense is Garret's. I cant' fathom anyone thinking that Wade actually tells him "Don't involve Choice, lets ride Barber".

it took forever for Brad Johnson to sit for Garrett's boy Brookes Bollinger

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418670 said:
we paid Barber to keep him in Dallas

Then his contract should not have been for a guy that carries the rock for 20+ carries a game

That means the team overpayed period

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ajk23az;2418421 said:
I agree, even though more carries the better from Barber for my FF team :D. Choice has been running really really well, he should get 5-8 carries imo.

If Tashard Choice can't play, cut him loose
2:43 PM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/Choice-thumb-250x199.jpg

The Cowboys won't confirm it (now they did, Felix is officially out), but I seriously doubt that Felix Jones plays this Sunday. That means we'll see a ton of Marion Barber.

We've heard that the coaching staff likes third-stringer Tashard Choice. But when we asked Wade Phillips about Choice today, he didn't exactly give the fourth-round draft pick from Georgia Tech a ringing endorsement.

"He can play some, and I think he's come along well there and we've worked him more certainly," Phillips said. "But I'm looking forward to Marion have a good game this game."

Frankly, I don't get it. It seemed that Choice made some good runs during the preseason, as this photo illustrates. (Choice wore No. 29 until Keith Davis was signed. Then, Choice switched to No. 23.) Nobody was complaining about Choice then. He had five carries for 26 yards in garbage time against Cleveland. Then, he didn't get another carry until the Tampa Bay game. He had five carries for 27 yards against the Giants - all in the second half.

I don't understand why Barber is viewed as the only option against the Commanders. The Commanders have no problem running out Ladell Betts, Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright in place of Clinton Portis. Shouldn't Choice be good enough at this point to get about a half-dozen carries or so? If not, then why is he on this team?

(Photo by DMN's John F. Rhodes)

Cuz Wade Phillips is a moron.

Reaction score
Wade Phillips needs to go... I'm sick of Wade Phillips dumb answers to simple questions! Choice needs to get some carries because MBIII needs some breaks!