DMN: If Tashard Choice Can't Play, Cut Him Loose

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2418444 said:
What a dumb blog item.

First MacMahon and now this guy? Where does the DMN keep finding them?

Dunno.

You would *think* that maybe he would realize that Choice is a rookie and with a QB just coming off an injury that his pass protection may not be up to snuff which is common for rookie tailbacks. And he's a pretty good special teamer...so let's cut him...bring in somebody whom the coaches don't know and doesn't know the playbook and will likely be a lesser special teams player.

It's like the editors at the DMN roll up their sleeves and have big meetings to figure out ways to make their paper and Web site even worse.

"I know, let's hire a DEAD person!"

YAKUZA

Rudy

Reaction score
Temo;2418441 said:
This is stupid. Sometimes I wonder why it seems like anyone can become a sports writer, since many of them don't even do their research.

I mean really... comparing them to the Commanders? The Commanders run Portis into the freaking ground whenever they get the chance.

Carry Distribution:

cartwright- 4
Betts - 38
Alexander - 10
Portis - 200

Barber - 172
Jones - 30
Choice - 12

What's so different between Portis' carries and Barber's?? I mean, based on those numbers, Portis has had a games worth of carries more than Barber...but exclude the last time they met where Barber was severely under utilized, and they're probably dead on. Either way, Barber needs a breather whether he wants one or not, and we've seen enough of Choice to wonder. Let's get the chance to see!

Pabst

Reaction score
Stupid article. I agree with many in this thread; it's not that Choice can't play, it's that the coaching staff won't put him into a position to.

Maybe as was stated earlier, it's a blitz pickup thing. Fair enough. That'll come with time. But Choice can definitelly ball. Anyone that's watched Georgia Tech last year or the preseason this year can agree with that.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
ajk23az;2418421 said:
I agree, even though more carries the better from Barber for my FF team :D. Choice has been running really really well, he should get 5-8 carries imo.

If Tashard Choice can't play, cut him loose
2:43 PM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/Choice-thumb-250x199.jpg

The Cowboys won't confirm it (now they did, Felix is officially out), but I seriously doubt that Felix Jones plays this Sunday. That means we'll see a ton of Marion Barber.

We've heard that the coaching staff likes third-stringer Tashard Choice. But when we asked Wade Phillips about Choice today, he didn't exactly give the fourth-round draft pick from Georgia Tech a ringing endorsement.

"He can play some, and I think he's come along well there and we've worked him more certainly," Phillips said. "But I'm looking forward to Marion have a good game this game."

Frankly, I don't get it. It seemed that Choice made some good runs during the preseason, as this photo illustrates. (Choice wore No. 29 until Keith Davis was signed. Then, Choice switched to No. 23.) Nobody was complaining about Choice then. He had five carries for 26 yards in garbage time against Cleveland. Then, he didn't get another carry until the Tampa Bay game. He had five carries for 27 yards against the Giants - all in the second half.

I don't understand why Barber is viewed as the only option against the Commanders. The Commanders have no problem running out Ladell Betts, Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright in place of Clinton Portis. Shouldn't Choice be good enough at this point to get about a half-dozen carries or so? If not, then why is he on this team?

(Photo by DMN's John F. Rhodes)
Wade's trying to juke out the media/Commanders. Downplay Choice's role, so they don't know what just ran over them!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Pabst;2418850 said:
Stupid article. I agree with many in this thread; it's not that Choice can't play, it's that the coaching staff won't put him into a position to.

Maybe as was stated earlier, it's a blitz pickup thing. Fair enough. That'll come with time. But Choice can definitelly ball. Anyone that's watched Georgia Tech last year or the preseason this year can agree with that.

Reread the "article", he doesn't actually want Choice cut, he wants Wade to trust choice and give him more carries.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TheCount;2418957 said:
Reread the "article", he doesn't actually want Choice cut, he wants Wade to trust choice and give him more carries.

He said we should either give Choice about a half-dozen carries (which is what we did last game) or "cut him loose."

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2418440 said:
I do agree that Wade is naturally risk averse, but I don't blame him on this. A rookie RB can put Romo on IR if he doesn't fully grasp his blocking responsibilities. Who wants to see Brooks Bollinger start the rest of the year because a rookie missed his blitz pickup assignment? The risk/reward ratio might be worth it if the rookie can take the ball 70 yards to the house every time he touches it like Felix, but Choice is just a serviceable talent.

What does blocking have to do with taking it to the house? Can Felix block?

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2418465 said:
And Bryan Broaddus was saying that even though Tony Curtis got all the blame for that punt block in Arizona, it could have been Choice that screwed up. He said he wasn't sure, but the entire line blocked down one way and Choice was the only guy who didn't shift the same way as everyone else.

If he messed that up to lose the game and put our kicker out for the year, I don't blame Wade for not trusting him. Someone in this thread mentioned Parcells, but Parcells was absolutely right on that one. You can't put a guy in there that could possibly get your franchise QB hurt.

Mybe he shouldn't trust Flozell Adams or one of the other bums on line, because he's the reason Tony Romo's pinky got busted...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;2418966 said:
He said we should either give Choice about a half-dozen carries (which is what we did last game) or "cut him loose."

I don't think he was seriously advocating cutting Choice but more just trust him a bit more.

I certainly would agree with cutting him.

And to me it spoke to the bigger issue of not trusting players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2418700 said:
:laugh2:

Here you go.

http://i61.***BLOCKED***/albums/h77/legendz28/firewp-1.jpg

Many thanks sir! That's some brilliant work!

TheCount said:
And yes, Walden was a dumb pick for a lot of reasons. I'll never forget when we drafted him, and even the ESPN guys were stunned. To stun people in the 6th round with your pick takes some skill. That doesn't just happen, you have to put effort into it. You could almost hear people scrambling to try and find ANY tape of him.

Yeah, and now we're stuck with the Cricket getting Romo's fingers broken while Peyton Hillis is a major contributor in Denver and Schmitt's role in Seattle is growing as well.

:bang2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure where I read it, but I believe Wade has a history of not throwing rooks onto the field too soon or giving them significant roles early on. I think I read it during his tenure in SD.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2418966 said:

Yes, as in give him the rock some or you are stupid for drafting him and not playing him.

isawoj

Reaction score
TheCount;2419096 said:
Yes, as in give him the rock some or you are stupid for drafting him and not playing him.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

I don't know why some are having such a hard time understanding the blog post.

links18

Reaction score
Probably one of the most stubborn, risk-averse coaching staffs of all time. Choice doesn't need to know how to pick-up a blitz to run the ball a few times to give Barber a break. Many of you were talking-up our "three-headed" monster at running back after the draft. What we have seen so far after half the season is more like a "one and a half headed" lizard. Get Choice in the game. Christ, even Parcells would actually try to incorporate Tyson Thompson into the game plan some and he even broke a few for big gains.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Future;2418464 said:
I think the premise of the article is right...just written wrong.

Choice should get more carries when it matters, to keep MBIII fresh for the fourth quarter.
I agree totally. I think Barber is more effective when he is allowed to punish the defense in the second half while they are slowing down and he is still fresh. Choice can give him some spot rest here and there.

Chocolate Lab;2418465 said:
And Bryan Broaddus was saying that even though Tony Curtis got all the blame for that punt block in Arizona, it could have been Choice that screwed up. He said he wasn't sure, but the entire line blocked down one way and Choice was the only guy who didn't shift the same way as everyone else.

If he messed that up to lose the game and put our kicker out for the year, I don't blame Wade for not trusting him. Someone in this thread mentioned Parcells, but Parcells was absolutely right on that one. You can't put a guy in there that could possibly get your franchise QB hurt.
Simple solution: Don't put Choice in there with any plays designed for pass blocking.

stasheroo;2418488 said:
How many years until that happens?

Peyton Hillis seems to have picked it up pretty well in Denver, in addition to several other skills.

He was a late round pick too.

Yeah, but we got Erik Walden instead.

Oh wait...

Was it you that had the Wade Phillips 'dunce cap' picture?

If so, you should have kept it.

If you still have it, I'd like to borrow it.
Yeah we definitely mucked up there. Walden was a wasted pick. We should have drafted QB Colt Brennen from Hawaii instead.

Rack;2418815 said:
Cuz Wade Phillips is a moron.
:hammer: