DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

wileedog

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396311 said:
What was BP's best record with the players he built the team with again?

Wade Phillips inherited a SB ready team with a franchise QB in place.

Parcells inherited a Dave Campo team with Quincy Carter.

Why is your question relevant again?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
wileedog;2396603 said:
If it was SB ready, how bad a coach was he that he couldn't even win a division title with it?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
CoCo;2396395 said:
I think its fair to question the culture that Wade & Jerry have created.

But I wouldn't use the culture Parcells built here (in terms of bringing out a players best performance) as the benchmark. JJT already indicated that the players stopped responding to BP.

If I had to measure Bill's 4 years in terms of over/underachievement it would look like this.

2003 - Overachieved
2004 - Underachieved
2005 - Underachieved
2006 - about on par, maybe slightly under.

Yep, for what it's worth, I think JJT is probably giving Parcells too much credit in this piece.

I do think Parcells came in and righted a ship that was headed for an iceberg, and what he did with that 2003 team was outstanding.

But in November of 2005 (right after his brother died, by the way), Parcells seemed different, especially on the sidelines. He had this far-away vacant look in his eyes most of the time. He looked like Landry at the tail-end of his career. Lost.

He did a lot of good at Valley Ranch, especially with the structure of the scouting department and the accountability of everyone, but he didn't have the fire the last year or two. It was time for him to go, IMO.

But Jerry followed Parcells up with a coach who is too lackadaisical and doesn't hold anyone accountable.

Here is what we have now:

• An owner/gm who is the face of the franchise instead of the head coach. He is an enabler who coddles players and is focused more on the marketing end of things than he is creating a disciplined environment for success.
  • A head coach who doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He is extremely passive and makes excuses for everyone and everything.
  • A roster littered with some players who need to be motivated and who lack heart.

It's a recipe for failure, IMO.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
wileedog;2396603 said:

Parcells inherited a Dave Campo team with Quincy Carter.

Why is your question relevant again?

The point was BP couldn't coach the same team to a better record, and he had a better record with the Dave Campo led team with Quincy Carter.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396594 said:
Jerry's always been running the show, except when the team does good for some reason to some people.

So, does Jerry get credit for the 13-3 season with BP's players?

The fact is none of you know how different JJ is now in his relationship with WP compared to BP. And even so, it worked better on a coaching level from the results.

The organizational structure of the organization that BP built is still in place. Or did people not like the draft we had, and the amount of picks we have next year?

Hmmmm seems it only does good with guys who aren't afraid to stand up to Jerry and maybe a year or two after they leave. Why is that from your perspective?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2396598 said:
After the uttterly embarassing and disgraceful playoff performance last year, you would have thought the team would have came into training camp angry and with a chip on their shoulder. Instead we got a month of family group hugs, grab assery and train rides in August. That should have been the first indicator that the culture at Valley ranch was 1997 all over again.

JJT is exactly right about churning the bottom of the roster. But beyond that, have we even benched a player in Wade's tenure? Of course not. Benching players makes them mad at you. You don't want a "family member" mad at you, do you?

But apparently it's OK for one 'family member' to ultimately get another 'family member' fired...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
sad but true.

theebs;2396266 said:
Amen.

Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

12:25 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
http://jacquestaylorblog.***BANNED-URL***/_Falcons_Cowboys-thumb-200x133.jpgBill Parcells built this team to have staying power during his four years as head coach and GM adviser.
That said, it was clearly time for him to go because the players had stopped responding to him, but Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips have wrecked this team far quicker than I had ever imagined.
It has happened for two reasons: The culture of discipline Parcells created has been destroyed and the team has lost its edge.
Here's how the culture has been destroyed: Whether you liked him or not, Parcells demanded accountability from every player; Phillips does not.
We all know it.
This team didn't really have a core of strong leadership -- players who had no problem telling their teammates when they were screwing up -- so Parcells took that responsibility. He had two Super Bowl rings and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day, which ensured players respected him and did whatever he asked. Those who didn't found employment elsewhere.
Phillips has never won a playoff game -- he is 0-4 -- so he has never received the same level of respect as Parcells.

Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?
He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.
The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.
But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.
When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.
That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?
I didn't think so.
This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.
Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.
That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.
But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.
Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.
Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2396598 said:
After the uttterly embarassing and disgraceful playoff performance last year, you would have thought the team would have came into training camp angry and with a chip on their shoulder.

Please. We lost to the SB champs who beat an 18-0 team, one that was considered the best in NFL history.

We weren't embarrassed or weren't disgraceful. We played worse than we should have and lost.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396616 said:
The point was BP couldn't coach the same team to a better record, and he had a better record with the Dave Campo led team with Quincy Carter.

Yeah there was no roster purging during Parcells years here.
Phillips/Jerry made very few changes and went from 13-3 to last. great.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2396608 said:
If it was SB ready, how bad a coach was he that he couldn't even win a division title with it?

He never had a QB Cl. He should have won the east in 06 but the same defense we saw yesterday for the most part showed up on xmas day against the eagles and romo struggled.

I wish he would have stayed one more year. But he didnt.

Now this organization is where it is. A tremendous set of offensive skill players and a handful of really good defensive players stuck in neutral.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396629 said:
Please. We lost to the SB champs who beat an 18-0 team, one that was considered the best in NFL history.

We weren't embarrassed or weren't disgraceful. We played worse than we should have and lost.

We were cruising along in the game and gutlessly folded like a cheap card table the first time we faced some adversity. We're a team of front runners with a glass jaw. We're Mike Tyson, who either knocks his opponent out by the 3rd round or quits. That's the character of this team, and they've proven it again this year as well.

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;2396572 said:
and that is the biggest problem.

You cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips.

The guy is a coordinator. Always has been. That is why no one hired him.

I dont see all of this as his fault.

Jerry hired, wade. He knew exactly what wade is and was and then he messed with the roster and the locker room chemistry, throw in adding distractions that could have been easily avoided and you get the current mess.

But make no mistake, jerry hired wade phillips, and you cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips. He couldnt win with john elway in denver and he couldnt win with a terrific defense in buffalo.

The thing I do find really annoying about wade is he has no problem gloating when we win and he hides from criticsm like a little kid when we lose. And Seeing that within his first five minutes on the job here he was taking swipes at parcells in his first PC, he is going to have to answer some of these questions after all he sold himself as the anit bill parcells and jerry and the players sold the fans that it was the anti bill parcells that they needed.

Now Jerry has him, and Jerry is an nfl punchline again. This time he has a new 1 billion dollar stadium to go with a mediocore team.

So yay everyone. Buy your tickets, we are middle of the road again.
I used to have hope.

Yesterday I say to the wife - Screw this - let's watch the Dolphins - at least they're going for it.

It's horrible. At least Tony is coming back. He's like heroin.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2396632 said:
Yeah there was no roster purging during Parcells years here.
Phillips/Jerry made very few changes and went from 13-3 to last. great.

OMG. Do you people even have a semblance of logic? Second of all, no one is saying BP did a terrible job when he was here. He did an average job as a coach, and did an excellent job building the organization structure to bring in players. What wasn't kept, was his environment, the "walking on egg shells", which disappeared and led to a subsequently better record in the regular season, and ashamedly the same results in the post-season. This year, we've suffered a myriad of injuries, including our starting QB, and we're sitting at 5-4, hardly out of it. Yet, some of you people are always on the fire Jerry, and BP was awesome bandwagon. It seems there is always this extreme mentality that pervades this forum.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs, my real point was that this team was never "SB ready" to begin with. How could it have been when it had never even won a playoff game or a division title?

All that "Superbowl ready" talk was just hype from the media and Jerry, and it got repeated so often that people believed it.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2396637 said:
We were cruising along in the game and gutlessly folded like a cheap card table the first time we faced some adversity. We're a team of front runners. That's the character of this team, and they've proven it this year as well.

Yeah, with the players BP brought in, right? The same thing that happened during his tenure as well. So, is that Jerry's fault?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theebs;2396636 said:
He never had a QB Cl. He should have won the east in 06 but the same defense we saw yesterday for the most part showed up on xmas day against the eagles and romo struggled.

I wish he would have stayed one more year. But he didnt.

Now this organization is where it is. A tremendous set of offensive skill players and a handful of really good defensive players stuck in neutral.

Some times I think folks forget just how bad the situation was when Parcells arrived. they also forget Jerry wanting to keep guys Parcells would have cut year one. Only to cut them year two.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2396646 said:
theebs, my real point was that this team was never "SB ready" to begin with. How could it have been when it had never even won a playoff game or a division title?

All that "Superbowl ready" talk was just hype from the media and Jerry, and it got repeated so often that people believed it.

Well there is no doubt that is media hype.

But you have to admit, parcells never had a full season with a qb.

It would have been nice to see how that went. But oh well.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2396646 said:

That is true. We went from a non playoff team last season to SB champs in pre season.