DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SultanOfSix;2396643 said:
OMG. Do you people even have a semblance of logic? Second of all, no one is saying BP did a terrible job when he was here. He did an average job as a coach, and did an excellent job building the organization structure to bring in players. What wasn't kept, was his environment, the "walking on egg shells", which disappeared and led to a subsequently better record in the regular season, and ashamedly the same results in the post-season. This year, we've suffered a myriad of injuries, including our starting QB, and we're sitting at 5-4, hardly out of it. Yet, some of you people are always on the fire Jerry, and BP was awesome bandwagon. It seems there is always this extreme mentality that pervades this forum.

As opposed to the 'remain calm, all is well' approach?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396649 said:
Yeah, with the players BP brought in, right? The same thing that happened during his tenure as well. So, is that Jerry's fault?

At least Parcells knew it and would have done something about it. Parcells went out of his way to find faults in his team, because you have to identify the problem before you can fix it.

Jerry's too busy thinking of best case scenerios and slapping backs in the lockerrom to call a spade a spade and objectively do the job that's requred of a General Manager. He'll keep holding out hope that this team is just one more coaching change/Joey Galloway trade/Roy Williams trade away from a Superbowl.

At any rate, Parcells handed Jerry/Wade a Pro Bowl QB and a team that was a field goal hold away from advancing into the playoffs. He then went to a 1-15 team to go rebuild it ... and he'll probably win a playoff game in Miami before Jerry wins one in Dallas.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396594 said:
Jerry's always been running the show, except when the team does good for some reason to some people.

So, does Jerry get credit for the 13-3 season with BP's players?

The fact is none of you know how different JJ is now in his relationship with WP compared to BP. And even so, it worked better on a coaching level from the results.

The organizational structure of the organization that BP built is still in place. Or did people not like the draft we had, and the amount of picks we have next year?

Nice spin. Jerry would be proud of you.

Too bad you have no clue what you're talking about though. Jerry didn't run things when Jimmy was here the way he ran them once Jimmy left. And Jerry finally gave up control over the coaching staff and much of the personnel once BP came here.

You can act like Jerry's done things the same way since day one but that isn't remotely true. The two times we've had a good HC who had full control over the staffs and considerable control over personnel was the times this franchise went from the gutter and moved up. When Jerry ran things by being in control of the coaching staff and hiring his weakminded HC's and meddling is when we've taken a downward spiral.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
stasheroo;2396662 said:
As opposed to the 'remain calm, all is well' approach?

Dude jerry has three SB rings, granted we were all a ton younger and all, but he does. All is well as long as we have those memories.:D

Deefens

Reaction score
We're above .500 with 1/3 of the games being played without a quarterback and a handfull of key players injured and every media distraction in the book... and this makes us a stinky mess with a joke of a coach and heartless players. We have a bye and should come back close to full strength with a CHANCE still to accomplish the goal for the season. Any other team in this situation would be given credit for holding it together and the fans exicited to see what the stretch run will bring. I can't wait to see what happens and will cheer harder than ever before... still proud of my team, but ashamed of the fans. My team aren't losers, but the fans are.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bach;2396674 said:
Nice spin. Jerry would be proud of you.

Too bad you have no clue what you're talking about though. Jerry didn't run things when Jimmy was here the way he ran them once Jimmy left. And Jerry finally gave up control over the coaching staff and much of the personnel once BP came here.

You can act like Jerry's done things the same way since day one but that isn't remotely true. The two times we've had a good HC who had full control over the staffs and considerable control over personnel was the times this franchise went from the gutter and moved up. When Jerry ran things by being in control of the coaching staff and hiring his weakminded HC's and meddling is when we've taken a downward spiral.

Those are facts. there is no room for facts.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Yet more evidence that no Head Coach can succeed here, whether its Phillips, Parcells, or whoever as long as Jethro continues to meddle:

From the dmn sports media blog-

I've been playing telephone tag with Ms. Oliver for most of the day. I want to get more of her take on what happened inside the Cowboys locker room at halftime on Sunday. But until we talk, I want to get this in print before the end of my blogging shift.
At the start of the second half up in the booth, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were schmoozing about Brooks Bollinger's entrance into the game. Aikman suggested that he thought it looked like Bollinger was going to play in the first half "but circumstances changed that."
Down to you Pam.
"...Well Joe I'm not so sure Wade Phillips had his mind made up about his quarterback change because when I walked off the field with him before the half I asked him point blank, 'Are you going to make a change?' He said, 'Right now I just want to think about it a little bit.' But after he got into the locker room, conferred with his coaches and, under the ever-watchful eye of owner Jerry Jones, a decision was made. I walked out with Wade and I asked him "why?" And he said, "It's obvious, no production from Brad Johnson."
Followed Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This is why you dont hire a lifelong coordinator to be your head coach.

you get crap like this. Especially when he is a complete pushover because he doesnt want to blow a good thing.

Pam Oliver: The most-telling report in the history of sideline reporters?
1:55 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I've been playing telephone tag with Ms. Oliver for most of the day. I want to get more of her take on what happened inside the Cowboys locker room at halftime on Sunday. But until we talk, I want to get this in print before the end of my blogging shift.

At the start of the second half up in the booth, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were schmoozing about Brooks Bollinger's entrance into the game. Aikman suggested that he thought it looked like Bollinger was going to play in the first half "but circumstances changed that."

Down to you Pam.

"...Well Joe I'm not so sure Wade Phillips had his mind made up about his quarterback change because when I walked off the field with him before the half I asked him point blank, 'Are you going to make a change?' He said, 'Right now I just want to think about it a little bit.' But after he got into the locker room, conferred with his coaches and, under the ever-watchful eye of owner Jerry Jones, a decision was made. I walked out with Wade and I asked him "why?" And he said, "It's obvious, no production from Brad Johnson."

Followed Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."

This report is open to many interpretations. Here's one: Jerry told Wade it was obvious a change had to be made. I'll check back after I talk to Oliver.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Deefens;2396680 said:
We're above .500 with 1/3 of the games being played without a quarterback and a handfull of key players injured and every media distraction in the book... and this makes us a stinky mess with a joke of a coach and heartless players. We have a bye and should come back close to full strength with a CHANCE still to accomplish the goal for the season. Any other team in this situation would be given credit for holding it together and the fans exicited to see what the stretch run will bring. I can't wait to see what happens and will cheer harder than ever before... still proud of my team, but ashamed of the fans. My team aren't losers, but the fans are.

Better check our record from the last part of last season to now. When we were healthy. You might be shocked.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2396693 said:
This is why you dont hire a lifelong coordinator to be your head coach.

you get crap like this. Especially when he is a complete pushover because he doesnt want to blow a good thing.

Pam Oliver: The most-telling report in the history of sideline reporters?
1:55 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Down to you Pam.

This report is open to many interpretations. Here's one: Jerry told Wade it was obvious a change had to be made. I'll check back after I talk to Oliver.

I bag on Jerry, but I can't blame him for this -- at least not without better evidence than that. Most likely Wade wanted to talk to Garrett and the offensive staff about it before he told the world his QB plans.

Bottom line, I don't think it's a big deal that he was vague when talking to a TV sideline reporter right before halftime.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396643 said:
OMG. Do you people even have a semblance of logic? Second of all, no one is saying BP did a terrible job when he was here. He did an average job as a coach, and did an excellent job building the organization structure to bring in players. What wasn't kept, was his environment, the "walking on egg shells", which disappeared and led to a subsequently better record in the regular season, and ashamedly the same results in the post-season.

Bottomline is BP took over a team that finished 5-11 three years in a row and made them into playoff contenders. He left them much, much better off than he found them.

As for the 13-3 season, that was primarily due to Romo starting the entire season and had nothing to do with the team not having to "walk on eggshells". And the eggshells comment had more to do with Jerry and him wanting to go back to being the main face of the organization.

The man never learns. He thought he could take the team Jimmy built and then continue winning as if a good HC/GM wasn't needed. Fortunately they still snuck one more SB out before it crashed and burned. It finally took three 5-11 seasons for him to "give in" and give up control to a big time HC. But once BP left after getting the Cowboys back in the playoff picture, Jerry thought once more he could take what someone else built and run with it doing it his way. Now the team is in disarray with a soft coach who has lost the team and we're on the verge of having to find our 4th HC this decade and 6th since Jimmy left.

Jerry's a fool and until he once and for all steps back and lets the football men run the show, then we're going to continue to struggle.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
This happens to every team Phillips is HC of. I guess I just should resolve my self to this.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2396685 said:
Those are facts. there is no room for facts.

True, what was I thinking?

I forgot about the rings Jimmy gave to Jerry.

wileedog

Reaction score
stasheroo;2396579 said:
I agree with you.

Parcells assembled a talented team, but his conservative style were often shackles to that talent.

When Garrett came in, the offense was opened up and the reigns taken off of Romo.

Defensively, Phillips brought in a more complex, less vanilla 3-4 than Parcells' preferred to run.

And Jerry, to his credit, continued to add talent to the team in Leonard Davis and Ken Hamlin.

Add it up and you get a 13-3 season, a #1 seed, and 13 Pro Bowl players.

But now that the inmates realize that they can get away with anything with Coach Cupcake - the 'players' coach' - there's no accountability, no fear of losing your job.

Now we have Phillips' "we'll get 'em next time" culture which makes failure OK, and it makes losing OK too.

This is the right answer.

I like Parcells, but it was obvious he still didn't have the passion for game planning that he did/does for team building.

Only problem is there is only one GM in Dallas for the foreseeable future. But this team would have been so much better off moving him up into Jerry's spot and keeping Sparano, Ireland et al and keeping the same team culture while allowing coaches to bring some innovation on game day.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bach;2396705 said:
Bottomline is BP took over a team that finished 5-11 three years in a row and made them into playoff contenders. He left them much, much better off than he found them.

As for the 13-3 season, that was primarily due to Romo starting the entire season and had nothing to do with the team not having to "walk on eggshells". And the eggshells comment had more to do with Jerry and him wanting to go back to being the main face of the organization.

The man never learns. He thought he could take the team Jimmy built and then continue winning as if a good HC/GM wasn't needed. Fortunately they still snuck one more SB out before it crashed and burned. It finally took three 5-11 seasons for him to "give in" and give up control to a big time HC. But once BP left after getting the Cowboys back in the playoff picture, Jerry thought once more he could take what someone else built and run with it doing it his way. Now the team is in disarray with a soft coach who has lost the team and we're on the verge of having to find our 4th HC this decade and 6th since Jimmy left.

Jerry's a fool and until he once and for all steps back and lets the football men run the show, then we're going to continue to struggle.

Weren't the coaches that were here with Parcells walking on eggshells also?
You know the ones who are now in Miami with him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Bach;2396705 said:

Bottom line is you have no clue what you're talking about and it's always the same theme: "Jerry sucks". I bet if a search was done on all your posts, 90% of them could be summed up as the latter.

If someone showed all these posts to an objective observer one would say you had some subjective agenda against him. Those are the facts.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2396713 said:
Weren't the coaches that were here with Parcells walking on eggshells also?
You know the ones who are now in Miami with him.

Yeah. Apparently they hated walking on eggshells so much that they up and followed him to the Dolphins. What a tyrannt.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

Oh, please. I wouldn't be surprised if JJT had this column ready in the preseason, waiting for the moment when we were barely above .500. If we had started 2-2 -- as many media members predicted -- he probably would have posted it then.

Notice how NOTHING in JJT's column is time-sensitive. There is NO mention of our record, NO mention of Tony Romo (injured or not), NO mention of any developments this season (major injuries, big trade, suspension, etc.).

If 5-4 is the "fallout" from Wade's philosophy, when did we ever reap the benefits of Parcells' philosophy?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2396671 said:
At least Parcells knew it and would have done something about it.

Yeah, like quit but take too long to do it. You would think that the way BP left organizations in the condition that he did when he left, JJ's done a great job keeping it together.

Note: The last sentence is simply a devil's advocate approach to both sides of the situation.