DMN: Machota: Here's what I expect to happen regarding Dez Bryant's contract situation

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Machota: Here's what I expect to happen regarding Dez Bryant's contract situation ...

jmachota@***BANNED-URL***
Staff Writer

Published: 05 June 2015 08:54 PM

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/incoming/20150604-ns_11dallasgbld36.ece/BINARY/w940/NS_11DallasGBLD36

SportsDay's Jon Machota answered questions in a chat Friday. Here are some highlights.

Question: What is the hold up on the Dez contract? And, what is it going to take to get him to sign on the dotted line?

Jon Machota: The hold up right now is there isn't any contact between the two sides. The Cowboys seem content with using the franchise tag unless Dez's representatives are willing to accept somewhat of a team-friendly deal. With the July 15 deadline quickly approaching, a contract could come together in the final days, but I'm not expecting it. I think Dez plays this year under the franchise tag and the Cowboys try again at a long-term deal next offseason. By then, one of the dominoes should fall, meaning A.J. Green, Julio Jones or Demaryius Thomas get a deal that sets the new market for elite WRs.

Question: Is it awkward standing around the same guys every day who you are trying to beat for stories, audience?

Jon Machota: Not awkward at all. There's a great group of reporters covering the Cowboys right now. And from my experiences, you can't say that about every beat. I want to be the most-read Cowboys writer, but I'm still friends with a lot of the people that cover the team.

Question: With Dez out, is Byron Jones really getting the kind of battles he could be that would make him NFL-ready? Is this the type of thing the Cowboys may be missing in postponing his negotiations?

Jon Machota: Not at all. Dez Bryant is a freak. There are only a few NFL WRs on that level. Going against Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley and Jason Witten is a pretty impressive group to battle with each day. And he'll get plenty of chances against 88 during training camp. I wouldn't worry about Byron Jones being ready for the season.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL CHAT

The Natural

Reaction score
would be extremely disappointing if that is indeed the outcome

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Too many guys are worried about setting the market and what the next guy is going to get.

They should just worry about themselves but WRs are such divas their egos need to be fed as well.

If 25-30m guaranteed isn't enough then ride out the tag and draft someone next year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Too many guys are worried about setting the market and what the next guy is going to get.

They should just worry about themselves but WRs are such divas their egos need to be fed as well.

If 25-30m guaranteed isn't enough then ride out the tag and draft someone next year.

It's the agents not the WRs.

visionary

Reaction score

This would not surprise me at all

ghst187

Reaction score

Honestly I'm fine with dez getting the tag next season also since, based on the stats I've seen its not worth the long term salary cap damage to pony up huge long term money for a wr who's production is sure to start dropping rapidly. Plus, our window for the top prize will end with Romo so I'm not confident Romo has more than two good years left. If I had to choose and Hardy was on good behavior, I'd pay Hardy and go draft a top WR and bring in a solid vet or two. If two firsts are offered next offseason and there are some great WRs available, I'd be really tempted to take the picks. There's only two positions you should break the bank for and neither are WRs, QB and head coach.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
easy to say when it isn't your money. I can't even imagine who the last nfl owner was who went broke, but there are several former players who do every year.

obviously poor choices and not a few extra tens of millions are the reason players go broke, but my point is playershave a very short window to make this type of money

DFWJC

Reaction score
Overall, I love our offseason.
However...
I know we make a ton of predictions in the offseason; some right, some wrong.

It looks like at least two of my sure thing predictions are not gonna happen this offseason:

-- With a very diverse RB class that seemed to have prospects to fit any round you wanted one in, I thought for sure we'd draft one.
wrong

-- Dating all the way back to January, I thought almost no chance we'd have Dez playing on the Tag this year. If anything, I thought if (big if) we used the tag it might be on Murray--to keep him one more year and then let him walk if we wanted.
But with Dez, I thought they'd already a have a deal in place.
wrong

It's not a disaster or anything. Just a bit surprising.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When it comes to Dez, I agree with the OP and I'd tag him again if I had to.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Honestly I'm fine with dez getting the tag next season also since, based on the stats I've seen its not worth the long term salary cap damage to pony up huge long term money for a wr who's production is sure to start dropping rapidly. Plus, our window for the top prize will end with Romo so I'm not confident Romo has more than two good years left. If I had to choose and Hardy was on good behavior, I'd pay Hardy and go draft a top WR and bring in a solid vet or two. If two firsts are offered next offseason and there are some great WRs available, I'd be really tempted to take the picks. There's only two positions you should break the bank for and neither are WRs, QB and head coach.

I don't mind tagging him once, but after that it is time to move on.

15m next year is a huge cap hit to take and he will still be an UFA at year's end.

The draft picks would be nice though.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don't mind tagging him once, but after that it is time to move on.

15m next year is a huge cap hit to take and he will still be an UFA at year's end.

The draft picks would be nice though.

Then resign him now to make it financially solvent? Carr holds the team over a barrel = Dez gets no money? I thought hard work was rewarded? I forgot that is a coaching/FO fallacy to placate players in non negotiating years, etc.

You don't let that talent walk; esp considering we haven't had the proper offensive minds to use him correctly;) Feel sorry for Dez @ times bc of this lame scheme. If he had the opps that other top WRs got (the deep ball and slants) he would be a 2,000 yard receiver. But we have Witten and sit routes. JG scheme; you didn't shake that double team on your out route? Guess we dump to Witten. Let Linehan incorporate some of that passing offense superiority on top of his simple awareness that this team didn't run enough and this team may be ready. Too bad JG wasted Romo's prime finding himself, etc.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The agents work for the players.

WRs have always been the loud mouths and high maintenance guys.

Every other position gets it done, even CBs and QBs, but WRs are scared to death of someone getting $1 more than them.

Really kind of a ridiculous statement.

cowboyvic

Reaction score

Some of you still don't get it. i keep telling you that if you don't pay this man with a long term teal,you may not get the same Dez. Dez is not stupid. he knows if he gets hurt he has no Future Guarantees other than this year. i don't see why some of you don't get it. it's not about just the money he will make this year. football is a violent game. and his NFL days could be over with one hit. that's what the man is fighting for.get it through your heads that it's not about what he is making this one year.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Agreed.

I don't get why we are willing to pay bums, but a proven guy like Dez, we sit on our hands.

I don't get it either. and sooner or later it's going to backfire. this may not end well starting this year. will we get the same Dez on a 1 year franchise deal? that is a big question that some people on here don't seem to get.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I don't get it either. and sooner or later it's going to backfire. this may not end well starting this year. will we get the same Dez on a 1 year franchise deal? that is a big question that some people on here don't seem to get.

You mean same Dez playing wise? I think that he will still play at 200mph. That's who Dez is, but you might be right.

My thing is will he feel disrespected, and leave after next year?