DMN: Machota: Here's what I expect to happen regarding Dez Bryant's contract situation

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What Dez and probably all the other top WRs are asking for is likely CJ money. The problem with that is CJ had ALL the leverage when he got that extension. He was drafted before the rookie wage scale and his cap hit was going to be so high, a deal almost had to be done. They also were limited in using the franchise tag the next season since, as you said, its the average of the top 5 or 120% increase. His last years salary was so high, the tag would have taken up a huge portion of the cap. Detroit was taken to the woodshed because they had no leverage. Arizona was in the same boat with Fitzgerald. If they wanted to keep those 2, they basically had to pay them what they want. These guys now don't have that leverage, yet want to point to those two contracts like they are the rule and not the exception and the teams are rightfully balking at that.

If I can recall, I think DET had to pay him 21m and 25m to tag him twice.

So 16m a year was a bargain. That old rookie system really made it hard on the Top 5 teams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of you still don't get it. i keep telling you that if you don't pay this man with a long term teal,you may not get the same Dez. Dez is not stupid. he knows if he gets hurt he has no Future Guarantees other than this year. i don't see why some of you don't get it. it's not about just the money he will make this year. football is a violent game. and his NFL days could be over with one hit. that's what the man is fighting for.get it through your heads that it's not about what he is making this one year.

So you're saying that he is so mentally weak that he can't concentrate on playing because he is on the Franchise Tag (12.8M) ?

He could sign the offer they have him and not have to worry about an injury. The offer was likely about 12M per season with 30M guaranteed. He is holding out trying to top the Calvin Johnson contract of 16M per season.

His life in not going to change at all with 16M per vs 12M per, but his ego is causing him to hold out to be the highest paid WR.

If he has a down year in 2015 playing under the tag, it could cost him a lot in both future contract dollars and marketing dollars. He signed with Jay-Z and his Roc Nation marketing agency. He can make the most in marketing dollars by being a Dallas Cowboys All Pro WR on a Super Bowl winning team. If Roc Nation is all they claim to be, he could make way more in marketing dollars than the difference in what the Cowboys are offering as compared to the stupid contract the Lions gave Calvin Johnson.

He made many changes this year dumping his closest adviser (Wells) and his previous agent, then signing with both an regular sports agent AND the Roc Nation marketing agency. He will also be getting more money this season on the Tag than he has made in all 5 years of his career. Considering his past issues of instability, these changes increase the risk that he could relapse and have some other off-field issues. The Cowboys have lowered their risk by keeping him on the Tag. By next off-season it will be more clear if he is going to have any issues from all of these changes and from getting paid big money. They market for WRs will likely be set by then and it will be straight forward to determine his worth. The Cowboys are taking a risk that somebody like the Broncos could give Thomas a stupid contract and raise the bar on the market price of WRs, but that's better than giving Dez a mega-contract too soon and finding out that he can't handle it.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
If I can recall, I think DET had to pay him 21m and 25m to tag him twice.

So 16m a year was a bargain. That old rookie system really made it hard on the Top 5 teams.

It was something ridiculous like that. It's the same reason they couldn't franchise tag Suh this year. His cap hit was scheduled to be $26,870,000 if he was tagged this season. They had no leverage in negotiations with him either, but wisely passed on doing another crazy deal.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It was something ridiculous like that. It's the same reason they couldn't franchise tag Suh this year. His cap hit was scheduled to be $26,870,000 if he was tagged this season. They had no leverage in negotiations with him either, but wisely passed on doing another crazy deal.

Correct. That is why tagging Dez again at 15m would be a mistake.

That would establish 15m as the baseline for a new deal and that is way too much money for any WR.

If they can't get a long term done before the July 15th, I don't see them ever coming to an agreement.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I said the MOST worried, even more than CBs and QBs.

The point is Murray actually signed a contract.

All of the top WRs are afraid to sign because the next guy might get a dollar more.

If you don't think WRs are the divas of the league you haven't been paying attention for 20 years.

That or I don't blindly follow the typical trope. The WRs killing it today...go ahead and list the top 10 wide receivers. Most of them are considered strong character guys.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Correct. That is why tagging Dez again at 15m would be a mistake.

That would establish 15m as the baseline for a new deal and that is way too much money for any WR.

If they can't get a long term done before the July 15th, I don't see them ever coming to an agreement.

It's hard to know which side is holding these negotiations up currently. Dez's camp may be unwilling to come off CJ money, while the Cowboys may be unwilling to do much more than M. Wallace. I think market value is probably around 13-14/yr and around 40m guaranteed. For the life of me I can't understand why these negotiations take so long. You would think if both sides really wanted a deal, it could be hashed out in a couple of hours, not over the course of a year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's hard to know which side is holding these negotiations up currently. Dez's camp may be unwilling to come off CJ money, while the Cowboys may be unwilling to do much more than M. Wallace. I think market value is probably around 13-14/yr and around 40m guaranteed. For the life of me I can't understand why these negotiations take so long. You would think if both sides really wanted a deal, it could be hashed out in a couple of hours, not over the course of a year.

I think the 40m is too high unless it is staggered.

If DAL offered 25m at signing and another 15m if he is still on the roster March 2017, that should be enough.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's the agents not the WRs.

Really?

Dez just fired his agent because he thought they had too much friendly with the Jones.

It's Dez.

He watched what the team did with DeMarco and he's preparing to leave just like he did..

..but with magnitudes more money than DeMarco did when he left.

And I say..

fine Dez. Good luck.

I'm sick and tired of this string of guys that think they are more important than everybody on the team.

Ratliff was one, Ware was one, Bennett was one, Spencer was one..

we are getting to the end of the string.

But Dez probably needs to go before its at an end.

I'd like to see a lot of Street and Williams this pre-season and maybe this guy Farmer.

One of the things we didn't do knowing Murray wasn't probably going to return was to run more of the other RBs to see what we had.

But we didn't do that. So we over-inflated Murray's numbers and his contract value and he split.

That was a hugely losing formula if you ask me. In the long run, anyway.

Do we repeat history with Dez?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of this string of guys that think they are more important than everybody on the team.

Wow, can't believe you would compare Ware to Ratliff. Bennett and Spencer are unpopular so I get it, but even they don't deserve it. So if you wonder why it seems players don't care about fans, fans like you are the reason why.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Really?

Dez just fired his agent because he thought they had too much friendly with the Jones.

It's Dez.

He watched what the team did with DeMarco and he's preparing to leave just like he did..

And I say..

fine Dez. Good luck.

I'd like to see a lot of Street and Williams this pre-season and maybe this guy Farmer.

One of the things we didn't do knowing Murray wasn't probably going to return was to run more of the other RBs to see what we had.

But we didn't do that. So we over-inflated Murray's numbers and his contract value and he split.

So much nonsense in this post:facepalm:

Jenky

Reaction score
Really?

It's Dez.

And I say..

fine Dez. Good luck.

He's staying and he'll probably cave in.

Don't tell me this sounds like a guy who's about to leave.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-...ray-dallas-cowboys-philadelphia-eagles-031215

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So you're saying that he is so mentally weak that he can't concentrate on playing because he is on the Franchise Tag (12.8M) ?

He could sign the offer they have him and not have to worry about an injury. The offer was likely about 12M per season with 30M guaranteed. He is holding out trying to top the Calvin Johnson contract of 16M per season.

His life in not going to change at all with 16M per vs 12M per, but his ego is causing him to hold out to be the highest paid WR.

If he has a down year in 2015 playing under the tag, it could cost him a lot in both future contract dollars and marketing dollars. He signed with Jay-Z and his Roc Nation marketing agency. He can make the most in marketing dollars by being a Dallas Cowboys All Pro WR on a Super Bowl winning team. If Roc Nation is all they claim to be, he could make way more in marketing dollars than the difference in what the Cowboys are offering as compared to the stupid contract the Lions gave Calvin Johnson.

He made many changes this year dumping his closest adviser (Wells) and his previous agent, then signing with both an regular sports agent AND the Roc Nation marketing agency. He will also be getting more money this season on the Tag than he has made in all 5 years of his career. Considering his past issues of instability, these changes increase the risk that he could relapse and have some other off-field issues. The Cowboys have lowered their risk by keeping him on the Tag. By next off-season it will be more clear if he is going to have any issues from all of these changes and from getting paid big money. They market for WRs will likely be set by then and it will be straight forward to determine his worth. The Cowboys are taking a risk that somebody like the Broncos could give Thomas a stupid contract and raise the bar on the market price of WRs, but that's better than giving Dez a mega-contract too soon and finding out that he can't handle it.

Yeah, I think Roc Nation has more to do with the contract hold up than anything else. Just a gut feeling.

Wood

Reaction score
would be extremely disappointing if that is indeed the outcome

there is almost zero incentive for Dallas to do long term deal with Dez this year. The only benefit of doing so would be to free up cap space that they don't currently need. Now if Dallas makes run (via trade) at RB and no I am not talking Peterson then Dallas might need extra cap money and that is only scenario I see Dallas making serious push to get deal done with Dez.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I think Roc Nation has more to do with the contract hold up than anything else. Just a gut feeling.

The Roc Nation ordeal and related changes are a big concern, IMO.

When I think about the Dez situation, I'm reminded of Josh Hamilton and the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers got Hamilton cheap because of past character issues. They put a support system in place around him and the thrived. He signed with the Angels and everything fell apart. He returned to the Rangers at a very low cost and started hitting home runs again immediately. The Angels lost over 100 million because of his failure to thrive there.

Roc Nation has pushed out all of the people that were surrounding Dez in the time frame that he has had success. Hopefully he has matured and it's not an issue, but the concept greatly increases the risk, IMO.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe you would compare Ware to Ratliff. Bennett and Spencer are unpopular so I get it, but even they don't deserve it. So if you wonder why it seems players don't care about fans, fans like you are the reason why.

Oh my..

Guess you put me in my place huh?

Fans like me are the reason this team exists bro.

Have had season tickets since 1965.

And you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally I think a deal gets done before the July 16th deadline. I think Cowboys are in no big rush and in the meantime Dez conduct off the field and his welcoming gestures towards new players coming to the team will help Dez gets what he wants or close to it. I think how Dez has handled this up to this point will help the Cowboys feel more confident in their concerns towards Dez

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Spotrac just announced a "projected" deal for DThomas of DEN at 5/81m with 37m guaranteed. That is insane.