DMN: Machota: Here's what I expect to happen regarding Dez Bryant's contract situation

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really knows what was offered. The hold up could be the guaranteed money part or more annually.

He was saying 12.8m a year is top 10-15 money and I responded that it is actually top 2 money.

Only CJohnson makes more.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This isn't 2012...

All those WR contracts were traded, dropped or cut in half.

The market has seen a correction from Wallace, Harvin, Fitz and AJohnson.

RCobb, Maclin, ABrown and other top WRs aren't getting as much. Rookies are making immediate impacts.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
All those WR contracts were traded, dropped or cut in half.

The market has seen a correction from Wallace, Harvin, Fitz and AJohnson.

RCobb, Maclin, ABrown and other top WRs aren't getting as much. Rookies are making immediate impacts.

We are in 2015, prices go up not down...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Dez, DThomas, JJones, AJGreen are all waiting to sign a deal because the WR market is down.

They are hoping one signs first and gets things going upwards again before they get hurt.

Right now 12-13m looks like a fair landing spot.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is not the "game" we all played as youngsters in the backyard or the park or on the street/a parking lot....this is BIG business as are all "professional sports". Fans get caught up in the..."they make more money than 99.8% of folks will never see in their life to play a sport 99% of us would kill to play for a job" rhetoric. Numnuts, the NFL makes billions of dollars which needs to be shared among owners and employees of the League. No one is packing the stands and paying top dollar plus buying merchandise and concessions to see people play football on any of the surfaces I described previously. No TV deal exists for the rights of those games either. Once they do...then maybe people can understand that what was once a leisure or done for fun is actually a business. The same applies to all professional sports (no one is paying to see a league basketball game or baseball game held at the local high school either).

The money involved is something most can't fathom but yet it is rare I hear of anyone complain about baseball, hockey, tennis, or golf salaries. Or what the owners in those sports are worth or make per season. Not sure why the NFL or NBA athlete is so scrutinized for what they earn yet the owners and members of the organization (executives, coaches, etc.) never get questioned. Hell, Goodell makes $40mil per year and no one moans about it. BUT, when athletes in the NFL or NBA want more of the pie because they are the steam that runs the engine...fans always seem to have an issue. Interesting to say the least but something I think that needs to be discussed openly as to why that is the case....I have my own ideas as to why but I will leave it alone.

Numnuts, this is in no way an attack of you at all. That is not my style as a poster on this great board so please don't take it that way. However, I tire of hearing the "greedy" athlete phrase very easily because I can't think of any business that you are considered "old" at 30. Maximize your earning potential...period!

What I meant is for Dez's situation. Being offered (or what I'm assuming has been offered) a deal that puts him in the top 5 in the league at his position is a fair deal that should take care of the Dez financially for the rest of his life.

Holding out to be the highest paid or equal to the highest paid , in a league that has a salary cap is what I would consider greed/pride.

The main difference between this and the "free market" is the hard cap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
His numbers were good for a run heavy offense.

His numbers are great and he is a great player.

I want him signed long-term, but he isn't worth 16m+ a year.

The 13m franchise tag is bad enough. We let Murray go and his cap hit would be 5m.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Is it more than salary numbers? Is it about team or the individual?

Pro Football is about a lot of things such as talent, winning, team, revenues, entertainment, and a whole lot of money. If u are the best of the best you will get paid.

If your team doesn't have the cap space u might play for less or you might not. Dez is worth more than the tag, a whole lot more. He knows it, Jerry knows it, everybody knows it..

The way these guys play, injuries, long term effects, etc etc I won't begrudge a guy like Dez who lays it all out on the field his due compensation..

The tag is an insult...