DMN: Machota: Here's what I expect to happen regarding Dez Bryant's contract situation

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
this should have all been concluded LAST off season. there was no reason whatsoever for it to become protracted like this

mahoneybill

Reaction score
It's the agents not the WRs.

Agree. They want the biggest cut they can get so larger $$ for the player, means more for them..

And they don't have to worry about getting decleated while going across the middle :):)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Some of you still don't get it. i keep telling you that if you don't pay this man with a long term teal,you may not get the same Dez. Dez is not stupid. he knows if he gets hurt he has no Future Guarantees other than this year. i don't see why some of you don't get it. it's not about just the money he will make this year. football is a violent game. and his NFL days could be over with one hit. that's what the man is fighting for.get it through your heads that it's not about what he is making this one year.

Hardly anyone is getting much more than 2-3 years guaranteed

If DAL is in the 25-30m range, that is acceptable

Just sign a fair deal and go to work

No one cares if you are the top guy for a few months.

The money will take care of itself if you are as good as we all believe

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Then resign him now to make it financially solvent? Carr holds the team over a barrel = Dez gets no money? I thought hard work was rewarded? I forgot that is a coaching/FO fallacy to placate players in non negotiating years, etc.

You don't let that talent walk; esp considering we haven't had the proper offensive minds to use him correctly;) Feel sorry for Dez @ times bc of this lame scheme. If he had the opps that other top WRs got (the deep ball and slants) he would be a 2,000 yard receiver. But we have Witten and sit routes. JG scheme; you didn't shake that double team on your out route? Guess we dump to Witten. Let Linehan incorporate some of that passing offense superiority on top of his simple awareness that this team didn't run enough and this team may be ready. Too bad JG wasted Romo's prime finding himself, etc.

If you tag him twice for 28m, where do think the starting point for then next deal is? 16m a year. No thanks.

If they can't get a deal done this before July 15th, the prices are too high to keep playing.

They would have lost 2 years of pro-rating signing bonuses and would be starting all over again with a ton of dead money.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I wonder if Dez can get a $50-$100Million insurance policy if he does decide to play on the lowball franchise tag in case he gets hurt hauling in one of those Zipcode passes...

If not then if I was him I wouldn't play without a real contract...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If you tag him twice for 28m, where do think the starting point for then next deal is? 16m a year. No thanks.

If they can't get a deal done this before July 15th, the prices are too high to keep playing.

They would have lost 2 years of pro-rating signing bonuses and would be starting all over again with a ton of dead money.

Who told them to franchise him @ the end of his contract? Considering the irrational restraints put on Bryant, etc. I would have signed him the year before expiring? Was the FO waiting to hold something over him they shouldn't have? Hypocrisy at it's finest. He did everything asked of, but now they have $ questions? Just say you didn't manage Romo properly (real culprit here) and our real chance is lost without Bryant (no denying this). That is the reality, sorry you wasted TR's prime JG; don't take it out on the one player you fooled into this RKG BS JG = Yeah we signed a DE who fits none of the credentials we placed on you; shut up and sign for less than you are worth?

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Some of you still don't get it. i keep telling you that if you don't pay this man with a long term teal,you may not get the same Dez. Dez is not stupid. he knows if he gets hurt he has no Future Guarantees other than this year. i don't see why some of you don't get it. it's not about just the money he will make this year. football is a violent game. and his NFL days could be over with one hit. that's what the man is fighting for.get it through your heads that it's not about what he is making this one year.

Thats ridiculous. You've got to be the only person to ever even suggest a player would take it easy in a contract year. It's the exact opposite. Why would he want to put bad play on tape or half effort when it only hurts what his contract would look like? I don't think we're the ones who don't get it.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Who told them to franchise him @ the end of his contract? Considering the irrational restraints put on Bryant, etc. I would have signed him the year before expiring? Was the FO waiting to hold something over him they shouldn't have? Hypocrisy at it's finest. He did everything asked of, but now they have $ questions? Just say you didn't manage Romo properly (real culprit here) and our real chance is lost without Bryant (no denying this). That is the reality, sorry you wasted TR's prime JG; don't take it out on the one player you fooled into this RKG BS JG = Yeah we signed a DE who fits none of the credentials we placed on you; shut up and sign for less than you are worth?

Romos contract has nothing to do with keeping Dez or signing him if thats what you're implying. The holdup is going to be on guaranteed money and average salary. People are quick to say "Just sign him" without knowing jack about what Dez is asking for. How do you know he isn't wanting CJ money or more? Salary cap is going up, he's a top 3 WR in a market that hasn't been set, why wouldn't he ask for the moon? Either he signs a deal both sides can live with or he can go catch passes from Geno Smith and the likes. The Cowboys are being financially smart and for good reason.

Last edited:

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Thats ridiculous. You've got to be the only person to ever even suggest a player would take it easy in a contract year. It's the exact opposite. Why would he want to put bad play on tape or half effort when it only hurts what his contract would look like? I don't think we're the ones who don't get it.

I am not saying Dez will make a point of doing that. i am tell you it's human nature. Dez may not make a dive between two people to make that catch anymore because he may be thinking about getting hurt and losing millions. it's human nature.. some of you guys need to wake up and live in reality.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I can't see Dez playing anything less than 100%. Anyone who goes out there with the attitude that he might get hurt in a contract year so he's gonna play it safe, doesn't belong on the field. And that's not Dez.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Who said to tag him twice? If this RKG non sense was real, he would have been resigned before this point. Team made it a point to resign the 30 catch/9 AVG a year guy (albeit for much less money) and has no problems overpaying Witten for his current worth.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
this should have all been concluded LAST off season. there was no reason whatsoever for it to become protracted like this

Yeah, see the FO created some kind of "tape" to lower negotiations;) Think it PO'd the Dez camp (rightfully so). RKG get rewarded in Dallas unless your are Dez Bryant:rolleyes: Hardy, Gregory, McClain, Dez? Come on Dez, we have this standard...

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is very disappointing that we are going to let Dez play on the tag unless he takes a team friendly deal.

The problem is next season.............he is an UFA or we tag him a 2nd time and the 2nd tag is the average of the top 5 or 120% of his previous year salary (whichever is higher).

The 3rd tag (if it gets to that point) is the QB franchise tag, meaning we pay Dez the average of the top 5 QBs in the league.............obviously not going to happen, no team in the NFL is going to pay a WR "top 5 QB" money. This was clearly a poison pill put in by the players union to make sure no player gets the tag more than twice.

So if we let Dez play on the tag this year, we have a big decision to make next offseason. Do we tag Dez for a 2nd and final time knowing he probably walks at year's end or do we pony up a CJ type contract and pay him?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
What Dez and probably all the other top WRs are asking for is likely CJ money. The problem with that is CJ had ALL the leverage when he got that extension. He was drafted before the rookie wage scale and his cap hit was going to be so high, a deal almost had to be done. They also were limited in using the franchise tag the next season since, as you said, its the average of the top 5 or 120% increase. His last years salary was so high, the tag would have taken up a huge portion of the cap. Detroit was taken to the woodshed because they had no leverage. Arizona was in the same boat with Fitzgerald. If they wanted to keep those 2, they basically had to pay them what they want. These guys now don't have that leverage, yet want to point to those two contracts like they are the rule and not the exception and the teams are rightfully balking at that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Machota might have a point but we'll have to wait and see to know what'll happen. Stephen will surely do his darnedest to get that impasse resolved but the difference between what both sides want is said to be gigantic. Whether Dez finally signs his francise deal or they eventually reach a contract agreement, I think he'll end up playing his tail off for the Cowboys either way. He simply loves football way too much not to.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Your responses are ridiculous

You pfft on everything and offer nothing of substance as a rebuttal

Nothing I said is incorrect

Honestly what do you want me to say? You're arguing that only WRs care about making top dollar and setting the market meanwhile we just saw Murray leave rb heaven to go to a hated rival for money all the while Wilson in Seattle is eyeing every new qb deal and saying 'I want more!"

Again saying only WRs worry about where they fall into the contract hierarchy is ridiculous.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Honestly I'm fine with dez getting the tag next season also since, based on the stats I've seen its not worth the long term salary cap damage to pony up huge long term money for a wr who's production is sure to start dropping rapidly. Plus, our window for the top prize will end with Romo so I'm not confident Romo has more than two good years left. If I had to choose and Hardy was on good behavior, I'd pay Hardy and go draft a top WR and bring in a solid vet or two. If two firsts are offered next offseason and there are some great WRs available, I'd be really tempted to take the picks. There's only two positions you should break the bank for and neither are WRs, QB and head coach.

What makes you think his production is going to decline rapidly? Nothing I've seen suggests that. I only see him getting better in this offense

ghst187

Reaction score
What makes you think his production is going to decline rapidly? Nothing I've seen suggests that. I only see him getting better in this offense

See CJ and Fitz numbers post mega deal, probability that happens to Dez also is high

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Honestly what do you want me to say? You're arguing that only WRs care about making top dollar and setting the market meanwhile we just saw Murray leave rb heaven to go to a hated rival for money all the while Wilson in Seattle is eyeing every new qb deal and saying 'I want more!"

Again saying only WRs worry about where they fall into the contract hierarchy is ridiculous.

I said the MOST worried, even more than CBs and QBs.

The point is Murray actually signed a contract.

All of the top WRs are afraid to sign because the next guy might get a dollar more.

If you don't think WRs are the divas of the league you haven't been paying attention for 20 years.