News: DMN: Mosley: Why it would make no sense for Cowboys to let Romo compete for starter's job

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
These arguments are cliches and won't last. Then what? We're stuck with an inferior QB who is no longer a "hot hand" (Zeke is the real hot hand anyways).

I am very disappointed the coaches ignore the film for cliches.

Better to ride the hot hand and if needed you could always go back to Romo. Each player brings something a little different to the table, but I wouldnt say Dak is inferior based on how he has played. Romos advantage is his experience and I think he stretches the field a little more with the throws he can make. On the other hand Dak is more mobile which brings a different element to the game.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
It was simple logic. The problem with Romo is that sometimes goes out the door when people talk about it. Dallas is doing the right thing. It would be insane to upset the chemistry.
With romo they could easily be 9-0 and not have had to come back in these games. Maybe could've rested zekes legs more too before the rookie wall.

What chemistry? It's all the same players from his 12-4 team plus the addition of the leagues best back

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If anyone listens to bobby belt's podcast. He broke it down pretty well.

Maybe the Cowboys didn't feel Romo could do it physically anymore. He made the point about escaping the rush on the long td to Dez and he felt Romo couldn't do that anymore.

I'm torn still, but maybe he's right.
I could definitely see romo being a way more cautious and protective player after all these serious injuries

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Its more about the message you're sending to the team, how can you pull out Dak after this start? I do buy into chemistry simply because of the division you could potentially create in the locker room over the decision. Chances are the Cowboys would be successful with either QB, but plugging Romo in at this point comes with the risk of losing some players in the locker room. Especially if Romo, comes back rusty.

Easy. You say that you appreciate and are proud of how Dak has been able to perform, but that he still has a lot to learn. You tell them that Romo is one of the best there is and presents the best opportunity for the team to reach its goal. If the team is as strong as they say, then nobody is going to lose anything. When Dak struggles, is the locker room going to split? Very, very unlikely Romo damages the "chemistry" on this team. Very possible he improves it. There are risks in everything you do, but the risks of sitting Romo are far greater IMO.

What do you do when the "hot hand" nonsense is over? That's what should have been done before. The better QB should play. Unless you are less concerned about the team than a player.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Good lord. Some of you are simply not thinking clearly.

"Easily be 9-0".

That is absurd.

All the sudden he could "easily" lead the team to the longest win steak in franchise history. That's a story if I ever heard one.
Romo was 8-1 in his last starts 9 starts too and dak left a lot of meat on the bone this season

SDCowboy

Reaction score
The competition can start in the Summer unless Dak manages to win a Super Bowl. If he wins a super bowl somehow, there is no competition.
It is not down to a super bowl win for Dak. Good grief. There is not likely to be a QB competition next year barring a total meltdown, from Dak. Tony isn't even likely to be here next season.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
That's fair to say. Now next year, he'll have fun competing against a Denver or Jets QB.
I can't imagine Tony agreeing to go to a team where he has to compete to start. Nor would a team bring him in to pay him that much to not start.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It is not down to a super bowl win for Dak. Good grief. There is not likely to be a QB competition next year barring a total meltdown, from Dak. Tony isn't even likely to be here next season.

If we lose I our first game in the playoffs and Dak doesn't play well, you better believe there will be some QB competition next year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This whole "chemistry" argument is silly. Most of those guys on the team have played with Romo & had good "chemistry" with him during that 2014 Playoff run. Acting as if him being inserted into the offense is going to RUIN everything is laughable. I'm perfectly fine with Dak leading this team, mind you but enough of this "chemistry" BS as the excuse.
well it isnt just the fans, it is jerry, jg, and the players themselves saying it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This whole "chemistry" argument is silly. Most of those guys on the team have played with Romo & had good "chemistry" with him during that 2014 Playoff run. Acting as if him being inserted into the offense is going to RUIN everything is laughable. I'm perfectly fine with Dak leading this team, mind you but enough of this "chemistry" BS as the excuse.

In the NFL there is usually a small margin between winning and losing. I'm not referring to the actual score at the end of games, but the small things that teams do or don't do that make the difference.

Dak has the "Hot Hand" right now. Many of the players from 2014 are gone.

The biggest issue is that Romo will likely never be 100% healthy. If you broke a bone in your back, your Doctor would likely tell you to not even play golf for about 6 months. If Romo plays he will be more limited than the Romo that people remember.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In the NFL there is usually a small margin between winning and losing. I'm not referring to the actual score at the end of games, but the small things that teams do or don't do that make the difference.

Dak has the "Hot Hand" right now. Many of the players from 2014 are gone.

The biggest issue is that Romo will likely never be 100% healthy. If you broke a bone in your back, your Doctor would likely tell you to not even play golf for about 6 months. If Romo plays he will be more limited than the Romo that people remember.
yeah and this could be saving romo from himself, he would have come back week 3 if they let him, he needs a long break to heal up
properly and be ready for 2017.