DMN: Stephen Jones: A lot to like about Kellen Moore, but his play won't influence Cowboys'

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no franchise QBs in this draft. You are as likely to get a good QB in Wentz as you will with Lynch or Goff. The only reason I would hope the two top QBs are on the board or at least one is for the potential trade up offers you might get offered.

Well now you're moving the goal posts. You said initially it was because Romo had more years left.

If the scouting department disagrees then the pick should be a QB.

Hardline

Reaction score
Well now you're moving the goal posts. You said initially it was because Romo had more years left.

If the scouting department disagrees then the pick should be a QB.

I didn't move the goal post. My original point was adding talent that will actually see the field during the tail end of Romo's career .I have no idea if Romo has 5 years left or the next sack left. All I am saying is while Romo is playing the focus should be surrounding him with talent. The Cowboys should sign the best backup they can for insurance and use the draft to solidify the future for that next starting QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I didn't move the goal post. My original point was adding talent that will actually see the field during the tail end of Romo's career .I have no idea if Romo has 5 years left or the next sack left. All I am saying is while Romo is playing the focus should be surrounding him with talent. The Cowboys should sign the best backup they can for insurance and use the draft to solidify the future for that next starting QB.

short sighted thinking

dfense

Reaction score
Yet Weeden and Cassell both have the size and arm.

How'd that work out?

Lotta people just can't get their heads around someone not being 6'5" and weighing 240 and having the ability to play NFL QB.

It's not so much a knock on him. He has good awareness and he's quick with the decision making and anticipation. But a deep out doesn't seem to be in his game. We will see in the next two games how he does. I will see him personally in Buffalo this weekend.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't been this excited about a draft since the late eighties.. or the future of this team. I honestly hope we trade up to the first pick, if need be.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet Weeden and Cassell both have the size and arm.

How'd that work out?

Lotta people just can't get their heads around someone not being 6'5" and weighing 240 and having the ability to play NFL QB.

Lotta players have size and arm, you have to have accuracy, and a head to go with it....the above rejects do not.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Pillow talk if you ask me, just so a desperate team trades up. No way we draft a QB in the top 10.

Jerry keeps saying Romo has 5 years left, so why create the drama with a rookie?

If Moore is the backup then they don't intend on letting a rookie play it seems. It also could mean they don't intend on taking a QB high in the draft.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

This was a unfortunate season, and while an upgrade in talent should always be a priority this is a quality team for the most part. An opportunity to draft a first round talent type QB for us may not come around again for a while. Don't stare a gift horse in the mouth.

Hardline

Reaction score
This was a unfortunate season, and while an upgrade in talent should always be a priority this is a quality team for the most part. An opportunity to draft a first round talent type QB for us may not come around again for a while. Don't stare a gift horse in the mouth.

How does a rookie QB help Romo win a Super Bowl?
This team needs added talent on the field not on the bench.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Pillow talk if you ask me, just so a desperate team trades up. No way we draft a QB in the top 10.

Jerry keeps saying Romo has 5 years left, so why create the drama with a rookie?

If we're in the top 10 or even the top 5, we're not taking a quarterback. There are too many immediate impact players in the top 5, and no one's confusing Lynch and Goff with Luck or Winston.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
How does a rookie QB help Romo win a Super Bowl?
This team needs added talent on the field not on the bench.

The Cowboys will be the Cowboys even after Romo is gone. Face it he is coming to the end of his career. And with the exception of Romo and Witten this is a fairly young team. How is not preparing for post Romo era gonna help their career.

silver

Reaction score
If we're in the top 10 or even the top 5, we're not taking a quarterback. There are too many immediate impact players in the top 5, and no one's confusing Lynch and Goff with Luck or Winston.

Other positions go bust in the top ten also. See Javenoeus Clowney, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo or Morris Claiborne for reference. Just because we have a hole at CB doenst mean we cant find a corner in the 5th round like Scandrick. It works both ways.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Other positions go bust in the top ten also. See Javenoeus Clowney, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo or Morris Claiborne for reference. Just because we have a hole at CB doenst mean we cant find a corner in the 5th round like Scandrick. It works both ways.

True, but the likelihood is that the better talent is at the top. Otherwise, teams would do like the Commanders of the 70s did - trade your picks for experienced players.

Teams are different as they are the same. They know the players who are ranked highest, and they tend to pick them accordingly. There are players ranked higher than Lynch and Goff. And they're ready to play. I don't think either Lynch or Goff are NFL-ready quarterbacks. Combined with the fact that they aren't considered in the same way Luck, Winston and Mariota were considered, I'd say pass on them (or trade down) and get a player who can contribute in 2016.

silver

Reaction score
True, but the likelihood is that the better talent is at the top. Otherwise, teams would do like the Commanders of the 70s did - trade your picks for experienced players.

Teams are different as they are the same. They know the players who are ranked highest, and they tend to pick them accordingly. There are players ranked higher than Lynch and Goff. And they're ready to play. I don't think either Lynch or Goff are NFL-ready quarterbacks. Combined with the fact that they aren't considered in the same way Luck, Winston and Mariota were considered, I'd say pass on them (or trade down) and get a player who can contribute in 2016.

On the other hand, I say draft one of them and let him sit for a year or two behind Romo. We have to wait fot the combine and other workouts before the final board is assembled but the constant remains that we definetly need to draft a QB early. It may not pay off initially but it should in the long run.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
On the other hand, I say draft one of them and let him sit for a year or two behind Romo. We have to wait fot the combine and other workouts before the final board is assembled but the constant remains that we definetly need to draft a QB early. It may not pay off initially but it could in the long run.

Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Still, you heard talk of Winston, Luck and Mariota being top first round picks before the combines. I don't hear the same being said about Goff and Lynch.

But I could be wrong. If the Cowboys think they're the answer as future quarterbacks, now is a good time as any. I just don't think they are.

But we'll see.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be the Cowboys even after Romo is gone. Face it he is coming to the end of his career. And with the exception of Romo and Witten this is a fairly young team. How is not preparing for post Romo era gonna help their career.

This is not going to be the last NFL draft and not the last draft QBS will be in.
This is not the time to abandon Romo for a clipboard holder. We don't have a crystal ball to see how much Romo has left in his career. I am willing to pay the odds that Romo has more years left than not.its a crap shoot selecting a QB in the draft anyway.