DMN: Stephen Jones: A lot to like about Kellen Moore, but his play won't influence Cowboys'

silver

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Still, you heard talk of Winston, Luck and Mariota being top first round picks before the combines. I don't hear the same being said about Goff and Lynch.

But I could be wrong. If the Cowboys think they're the answer as future quarterbacks, now is a good time as any. I just don't think they are.

But we'll see.

I just plead to the football heavens that they not try to get cute again or we'll end up with another Weeden/Cassel type. Hopefully they learned their lesson. This is the most important position on the field. They need to invest "assets" (like JJ likes to say) on the position. Heck, they have no problem shoring up the TE position every other draft.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I didn't move the goal post. My original point was adding talent that will actually see the field during the tail end of Romo's career .I have no idea if Romo has 5 years left or the next sack left. All I am saying is while Romo is playing the focus should be surrounding him with talent. The Cowboys should sign the best backup they can for insurance and use the draft to solidify the future for that next starting QB.

QBs are overdrafted every year. Even if the top 2 QBs aren't "Luck" type Qbs, you have to draft one when you can if you need one now or in a year or two most likely. We are picking high enough we might get the chance to draft one of the top 2 QBs this year. If we wait until Romo is completely done then you might have to wait years and years or mortgage entire drafts to get another top 2 talent when you are really desperate for one.

We can't assume we'll get the opportunity to draft a top 2 QB when we become desperate to do so. Do it when you can if the end is in sight for your starter ( as it is for Romo ).

All this being said, we might not have the opportunity this year either. Goff and Lynch could very well be gone before we pick and those against drafting them can breathe easy at that time. We will see.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
How does a rookie QB help Romo win a Super Bowl?
This team needs added talent on the field not on the bench.

After this year, you still thinking Superbowl?

Maybe we can, but the odds are long with or without a non-QB being our top pick in the next draft.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I just plead to the football heavens that they not try to get cute again or we'll end up with another Weeden/Cassel type. Hopefully they learned their lesson. This is the most important position on the field. They need to invest "assets" (like JJ likes to say) on the position. Heck, they have no problem shoring up the TE position every other draft.

Y:)u're right ab:)ut that.

Hardline

Reaction score
After this year, you still thinking Superbowl?

Maybe we can, but the odds are long with or without a non-QB being our top pick in the next draft.

The day I stop expecting the Cowboys to win Super Bowls is the day I stop watching football.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
If we wait until Romo is completely done then you might have to wait years and years or mortgage entire drafts to get another top 2 talent when you are really desperate for one.

True, and everyone seems to forget that if you wait until you must draft a QB (read: Romo retirement or career-ending injury), not only do you set the whole club back a few years while looking and developing, you WASTE the premium years of the team's current young talent's careers as well.

Say you wait 2-3 years for Romo, then take two years to draft a decent guy, then another year or two for him to get up to speed, then, you've burned through possibly 3-7 years (at best) of Dez, Tyron, Fred, Tank, Martin, La'el, Jones, Crawford, Scandrick, Gregory, Irving, Hitchens, Beas, etc.

At worst, you take a decade or more to find a QB and completely burn through all of them, with no return or benefit on their careers.

And, the fans who so adamantly state, "Romo's got four more years, no doubt" are foolish or in denial, IMO, because bones don't get stronger as you age, athletes don't typically get better into their late 30s (very few exceptions) and Romo has not been the picture of perfect health.

Doesn't it make sense to start looking NOW, develop him (without the immediate pressure), and when Romo is done, step right in with only a few games of a learning curve?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The more I hear these guys talk the more I realize they need me in that war room.

Adopt me, Jerry.

lol.

No offense but if anyone on this board was allowed anything in our War Room I'd probably have to quit watching the Cowboys. The people on this board would ruin an NFL franchise with their supposed knowledge of what to do.

Now if anyone here would like to take their fine talents to another NFL team then by all means. Put your resumes in an go show these NFL idiots how you're actually supposed to draft.

reddyuta

Reaction score
True, and everyone seems to forget that if you wait until you must draft a QB (read: Romo retirement or career-ending injury), not only do you set the whole club back a few years while looking and developing, you WASTE the premium years of the team's current young talent's careers as well.

Say you wait 2-3 years for Romo, then take two years to draft a decent guy, then another year or two for him to get up to speed, then, you've burned through possibly 3-7 years (at best) of Dez, Tyron, Fred, Tank, Martin, La'el, Jones, Crawford, Scandrick, Gregory, Irving, Hitchens, Beas, etc.

At worst, you take a decade or more to find a QB and completely burn through all of them, with no return or benefit on their careers.

And, the fans who so adamantly state, "Romo's got four more years, no doubt" are foolish or in denial, IMO, because bones don't get stronger as you age, athletes don't typically get better into their late 30s (very few exceptions) and Romo has not been the picture of perfect health.

Doesn't it make sense to start looking NOW, develop him (without the immediate pressure), and when Romo is done, step right in with only a few games of a learning curve?

How can Jerry and Stephen not see this? We got some really good young players but they are being wasted with bad QB play with Romo out.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
exactly

If we have any chance at all with our pick slot, I would grab QB Paxton Lynch or Goff. Romo is only getting older and we need to consider the future. Yes I do assume Romo to be starting QB next year obviously, but after that, we need THE guy, not some rundown backup of any kind

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Pillow talk if you ask me, just so a desperate team trades up. No way we draft a QB in the top 10.

Jerry keeps saying Romo has 5 years left, so why create the drama with a rookie?

because it is the right thing to do. I don't think Romo would disagree if he was honest with himself.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Romo probably has 2 good years left and he probably won't get thru them both healthy.

Now is the time to draft a QB. Hopefully we won't have a Top 5 pick again.

Teams can control first round picks for up to 6 years before FA, so if they had to sit and learn for a year or two that wouldn't be horrible.

lostar2009

Reaction score
We should all hope Moore comes on strong the next 2 games. It will save us a draft pick and have Romo successor. I know you guys want to think Romo will play forever but its not going to happen. This guy can't finish a season at this point. If Moore show enough I would trade Romo and if not keep him as the 2 nd as a backup.

Dodger12

Reaction score
lol.

No offense but if anyone on this board was allowed anything in our War Room I'd probably have to quit watching the Cowboys. The people on this board would ruin an NFL franchise with their supposed knowledge of what to do.

Now if anyone here would like to take their fine talents to another NFL team then by all means. Put your resumes in an go show these NFL idiots how you're actually supposed to draft.

After 20 years of watching Jerry run the draft with the exception of the Parcells years, I could throw darts on the draft board and the odds are I would do better. I mean, you're worried about fans around here ruining the franchise and we haven't sniffed an NFC Championship game in 20 years and we've missed the playoffs something like 15 out of 20 years. And we're 4 and 10 so far this year to boot. There's really nothing left to ruin.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
but his play won't influence Cowboys...... This is dumb thing to say.
If he plays great that would influence things, same for if he bombs, or is maybe good enough for bkup role.

To say his play doesnt matter is a ******** thing to say before the guy plays next 2 games.

vaturkey

Reaction score
We need Kevin Costner to talk to Jerry. Sure Kevin knows football as well as Jerry. I mean he was in a movie about Football and he was in a golf movie as well. Heck, he should fit right into Valley Ranch.

Fredd

Reaction score
As if Stephen would say "Yeah, actually we're looking at taking a linebacker in the first round, and a running back in the second....."

LOL

Jaylon Smith and then RB? sign me up