News: DMN: Think the Cowboys stumbled onto drafting Dak Prescott? Michael Irvin says nope

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Call it luck or anything you want, but over the history of the NFL there are hundreds and hundreds of players that play well above their draft position. Its the nature of the NFL. Did the Cowboys get "lucky" with Dak....yeah sure, but no one should single out the Cowboys and Dak when this is so common in the NFL. It's just typical Cowboys hatin.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Call it luck or anything you want, but over the history of the NFL there are hundreds and hundreds of players that play well above their draft position. Its the nature of the NFL. Did the Cowboys get "lucky" with Dak....yeah sure, but no one should single out the Cowboys and Dak when this is so common in the NFL. It's just typical Cowboys hatin.

I agree. I just hate when people complain about Dallas not hitting on mid rd picks and when they do, now it is all luck. I want to tell them, So if it is luck stop complaining about Dallas not hitting on mid rd draft picks since after all it is nothing but luck.

Fact is most of these people do not like Jerry or Garrett and it is easier to call it luck than to give credit. It is alright to cast blame but god forbid anyone give them credit.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think there's a good case to be made either way. If we had gotten one of the other QBs that Jerry was shooting for, we likely wouldn't have pursued Dak in the fourth, imho. On the other hand, we did our homework and got Prescott when it counted, so credit the team for that. What's important to me is we've got ourselves a winner who is breaking records for an NFL rookie's success. It doesn't need to be any sweeter than that.

Reaction score
Agree with you but the case being said here is luck wasn't a factor at all....they honed in on him, threw up a smoke screen and picked him in the calculated round.

Plumfool

Reaction score

Amen

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I agree with Irvin on this one cause I remember before the draft they keep going to see him and folks were complaining about him being garbage or spot starter at best. If people on here knew that even while what DP is saying is true its not like the Boys just picked him sight unseen or something.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
According to Jerry, Linehan was "on the table" to draft him even earlier than we did. I guess we're all lucky the guys in charge eventually listened to him, after several wrong turns. But Linehan's foresight and perseverance paid off.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Bottom line is it's true they didn't think he was the best QB in the draft (which is why they tried desperately to land other QBs before finally taking him). Like everyone else they appear to have been wrong about that.

But that doesn't mean they lucked into him. They scouted him thoroughly. More thoroughly than any team in the league. And they took him, before anyone else, in the range he was expected to go. That's out maneuvering your rivals for a valuable asset. Even if, like your rivals, you didn't understand at the time precisely how valuable an asset.

plasticman

Reaction score
I've already mentioned my belief that even if the Cowboys had drafted a QB in the 1st round, they would have still taken Dak in the 4th, just like the season the Commanders took RG3 and Cousins, the Cowboys thought that much about Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think had Dak not come out and produced as he did the same people calling it nothing but luck would be saying it was a wasted pick and how stupid and incompetent Jerry Jones is as well as Garrett and the scouting staff. Fact still remains the Cowboys spent more time with Dak than any other team out there. They took him where they felt he would be as in not reaching for a player

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Both are right. If Dallas had expected Prescott to be this good, it would have taken him earlier. However, Prescott wasn't expected to be this good by anyone and carried a fourth-round value. Dallas liked him for where he was valued and took him because it did its homework on him.

The draft is always a combination of luck and preparedness.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Both are right. If Dallas had expected Prescott to be this good, it would have taken him earlier. However, Prescott wasn't expected to be this good by anyone and carried a fourth-round value. Dallas liked him for where he was valued and took him because it did its homework on him.

The draft is always a combination of luck and preparedness.

True but then coach Johnson would say luck is a by product of preparedness. It is strange how the team who are the most prepared tend to be the luckiest

gmoney112

Reaction score
According to Jerry, Linehan was "on the table" to draft him even earlier than we did. I guess we're all lucky the guys in charge eventually listened to him, after several wrong turns. But Linehan's foresight and perseverance paid off.

Don't forget about Wilson. I'm pretty sure his voice was among the loudest, and he met with Dak more than any other QB in the draft.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Cowboys were fortunate to get such a valuable player with the 135th pick. To their great credit, however, once Dak arrived in camp it apparently didn't take them long to realize they got a gem.

kevm3

Reaction score
We got very lucky, or shall I say blessed, in drafting him. Nobody knew he'd play like this and we got him as nearly a 5th rounder.