News: DMN: Think the Cowboys stumbled onto drafting Dak Prescott? Michael Irvin says nope

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
People are calling it luck because they are denial that Cowboys did their homework rather than their favorite team. Hate runs deep in the NFL when it comes to America's team.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
When Tony and Kellen got hurt and they didn't bring in a scrub QB refutes all of the luck talk. He lived up to their expectations. It's funny that the mediots always try to minimize our success while exasperating our failures.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think Mike actually made a good argument for a guy who struggles to complete thoughts

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I find it a silly argument. So what are those arguing that we lucked in getting Dak? we are lucky? Ok we are.. what's your point?

someone explain to me please if I am missing something .. do teams get extra cap space if they get lucky? or make a good draft pick?

It is documented that we did the most study on him, the most analysis, and most inquiries .. that is enough for me to show we do our job when scouting draft prospects ..

:cool:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No one "stumbles" into picking a player. These are professional organizations. They all do their homework, and some do it better than others. However, when a player exceeds their draft position due to quality of play, there is some luck involved.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone on this board (I wish I could remember who) posted it best when they typed out...

"After the first pick in the draft– Every other pick comes with a certain amount of luck."

But yeah, the Cowboys had done a lot of homework on this kid– apparently more so than any other club.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
The reality is luck factors into every position selected. The whole draft is one big crapshoot with some draft positions carrying less risk than others. If you hit on a player truth is you got lucky that your due diligence panned out because the history of the draft is filled with players who graded out and didn't live up to their Pre-draft assessment. As Michael said, the team did their due diligence, they slotted him on their board, and they selected him before anyone else. in my book they did everything to show they wanted the player and had some luck in not getting a QB that might have been higher on their board (as did every other team that selected a QB before Dak)

willia451

Reaction score
The Raiders drafted Carr in the second round. So no NFL team believed Carr had 1st round potential.

Raiders got lucky Carr fell to them in the second round.

There are many other examples. Create your own. :)

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I think there's a good case to be made either way. If we had gotten one of the other QBs that Jerry was shooting for, we likely wouldn't have pursued Dak in the fourth, imho. On the other hand, we did our homework and got Prescott when it counted, so credit the team for that. What's important to me is we've got ourselves a winner who is breaking records for an NFL rookie's success. It doesn't need to be any sweeter than that.
Disagree.

Picked in the fourth would've been perfect for a development QB and that's what Dallas had in mind.

The only 'luck' involved was the way Dak got the starting gig.

Not so lucky for the other two QB's tho.................

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Here's another way to look at it.

As far as Dak Prescott goes, the Cowboys were the smartest team in the NFL! No luck in him being a Cowboy at all. Every team in the NFL went through a similar process of evaluating players. They all had several chances, including all of round four, to take him. Dallas valued Prescott more than any other team in the NFL, and took him with a supplemental selection. That's not luck!

The Patriots valued Tom Brady more than any other team in the NFL.
The Seahawks valued Russell Wilson more than any other team in the NFL.

The luck, if there is such a thing, is that all three QBs turned out to have much greater value than their 4th, 6th, and 3rd round selections. That's true of every pick at every position. Was Romo, Leary, Staubach, and others just luck? No one knew Roger Staubach was going to have a Hall of Fame career, but the Cowboys valued him in round 5 despite his Navy obligation more than any other team in the NFL.

After round one, every team in the NFL had a chance to draft every player you drafted or signed in free agency. Whether those players turn out to have greater or less value than where you selected them, you deserve 100% of the credit or blame because your scouting caused you to do what no one else did.

Sydla

Reaction score
They stumbled into him. There's nothing wrong with that. NE stumbled into Brady.

If the draft broke a certain way, Prescott would have never been a Cowboy. If Wentz fell, there was a chance they would have taken him. If they could have pulled off that deal, they would have taken Lynch. If Oakland doesn't take Cook (thanks Raiders!) when they did and he's sitting there at the Prescott pick, they might have taken Cook instead.

erod

Reaction score
Geez, Mike. Just stop.

Dallas landed Prescott by dumb luck. It was a just a throwaway pick to say they drafted a QB.

They had failed to get Wentz, Lynch, and Cook. So they took Dak on a comp pick.

It's like Romo all over again. We'll take it.