News: DMN: Think the Cowboys stumbled onto drafting Dak Prescott? Michael Irvin says nope

haleyrules

Reaction score
You were one of the few who saw how good Dak could be. I didn't know anything about him so didn't have an opinion one way or the other. But I liked him immediately in preseason when he lit everyone up, lol.
Truthfully, there wasn't a lot of good ink on him prior to the draft. I really didn't know much about him either and everything l read wasn't very encouraging.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Truthfully, there wasn't a lot of good ink on him prior to the draft. I really didn't know much about him either and everything l read wasn't very encouraging.

It goes back to what Jimmy Johnson said about drafting quarterbacks. Intangibles (particularly a QB's leadership and intelligence) are the most important factor. But they aren't as easy to evaluate. It really is a fascinating lesson.

The Realist

Reaction score
It goes back to what Jimmy Johnson said about drafting quarterbacks. Intangibles (particularly a QB's leadership and intelligence) are the most important factor. But they aren't as easy to evaluate. It really is a fascinating lesson.

Correct. Looking at where Miss State was before, during and now after him is very telling. So was his Master's in Organizational Leadership.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Correct. Looking at where Miss State was before, during and now after him is very telling. So was his Master's in Organizational Leadership.

Exactly. I just reviewed the year by year record of the Mississippi State Bulldogs football team. It's pretty clear Dak elevated the play of the team tremendously when he was there. Hard to believe he actually took them to #1 in the nation for a period of time.

The Realist

Reaction score
Exactly. I just reviewed the year by year record of the Mississippi State Bulldogs football team. It's pretty clear Dak elevated the play of the team tremendously when he was there. Hard to believe he actually took them to #1 in the nation for a period of time.

Brian Broaddus said one of his scout friends went to Miss State this year post Dak and there is nothing there. They have a possession WR named Fred Ross who had 88 catches last year with Dak and that's about it. Very little if any NFL talent.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bottom line is it's true they didn't think he was the best QB in the draft (which is why they tried desperately to land other QBs before finally taking him). Like everyone else they appear to have been wrong about that.

But that doesn't mean they lucked into him. They scouted him thoroughly. More thoroughly than any team in the league. And they took him, before anyone else, in the range he was expected to go. That's out maneuvering your rivals for a valuable asset. Even if, like your rivals, you didn't understand at the time precisely how valuable an asset.
well said, that is how I see it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I agree. I just hate when people complain about Dallas not hitting on mid rd picks and when they do, now it is all luck. I want to tell them, So if it is luck stop complaining about Dallas not hitting on mid rd draft picks since after all it is nothing but luck.

Fact is most of these people do not like Jerry or Garrett and it is easier to call it luck than to give credit. It is alright to cast blame but god forbid anyone give them credit.
Boy do I agree with this. Anything the haters can do to discredit this franchise appears to be their motivation.
It's a hell of a monkey to carry around on their backs. I'm learning to tune them out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Boy do I agree with this. Anything the haters can do to discredit this franchise appears to be their motivation.
It's a hell of a monkey to carry around on their backs. I'm learning to tune them out.

I don't mind criticism when it is deserved what I do not like are those who have nothing good to say or go out of their way to avoid giving any credit to Jones or Garrett because of some personal agenda. People want to blame him for bad seasons? fine he is the GM he deserves the heat that comes with the job same with Garrett but for goodness sake to find anyone but them to give credit to when things are going great is just pathetic

links18

Reaction score
Its pure absolute blind luck that Dak was the starter this season. That much is for sure.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So much in this thread.

Ok, no matter how much you like a guy, you put them in tiers based upon their athletic ability and what you think they can do as a pro. No one else put the time and effort into Dak that we did. You get an idea of what area a guy will go in. I think Dallas had Prescott as a fall back option no matter what the circumstance was in regard to Lynch and Cook. Lynch's physical talent is probably the best but we have no idea how he is going to handle becoming an NFL QB. Cook was groomed to be an NFL QB along the same lines as Cousins so there are reasons why they were universally rated higher than Dak. The mental side is where it is the hardest in regard to a young QB and where you really have to take a bit of a leap of faith.

So the media then takes this and says well if you really liked Dak you would have taken him earlier. Based on Dak's play he probably should have been the first overall pick and surely should have been the pick at #4. So instead of Elliott and Dak, you might have had Dak and a guy like Booker or Dixon or even Howard later in draft or maybe a pass rusher like Judon. Would you have been better off in that case? Probably not. Hard to imagine getting two guys that make more of an impact than Dak and Zeke.

Now bringing up Zeke. Everyone said taking a running back at #4 was dumb. They aren't impact picks. They are replaceable. They have short shelf lives. We heard it all. Yes, there were a few people that understood the potential of the pick, but by and large the media said it was not the right pick. Would they like to reconsider their review now? Could argue the only pick better at that spot would have been Dak give the results.

Then look at the rest of this draft. Collins has been everything they could have hoped for on the DL...basically a starter from Day 1 even though he missed most of training camp. Brown has stepped in for injured players and done a more than credible job. Frazier has been a contributor on special teams and demonstrated that last week after Zeke's penalty. He likely will be a starter or at worst third safety next year as it is unlikely we resign both Church and Wilcox. Smith and Tapper are like extra draft picks next year assuming they are healthy. Gathers is a project but there is a very good chance that he makes the roster next year. If the front office deserves a thumbs down, it was for keeping Jackson active all year and then risking him and losing him. He likely would have been the backup next year.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The Cowboys were fortunate to get such a valuable player with the 135th pick. To their great credit, however, once Dak arrived in camp it apparently didn't take them long to realize they got a gem.

Actually that really isn't all that true. He was behind Showers a good part of the offseason and even into training camp and there was no one clamoring for him to be the QB. Then Romo got hurt. Broaddus said he really didn't look that great in practice many times. Dak was in the right place at the right time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ok, no matter how much you like a guy, you put them in tiers based upon their athletic ability and what you think they can do as a pro. No one else put the time and effort into Dak that we did. You get an idea of what area a guy will go in. I think Dallas had Prescott as a fall back option no matter what the circumstance was in regard to Lynch and Cook. Lynch's physical talent is probably the best but we have no idea how he is going to handle becoming an NFL QB. Cook was groomed to be an NFL QB along the same lines as Cousins so there are reasons why they were universally rated higher than Dak. The mental side is where it is the hardest in regard to a young QB and where you really have to take a bit of a leap of faith.

Totally agree, and agree with you and @plasticman that they still would have drafted Prescott if they had Lynch.

To the OP, Irvin is exactly right, just because you knew you could get a player later on and waited for the best value doesn't mean you "lucked" into the pick - it means you played it exactly right. Dallas had 3rd round grades on Leary and Anthony Brown, but got both of them for one six round picks. That isn't luck, that is skill.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Actually that really isn't all that true. He was behind Showers a good part of the offseason and even into training camp and there was no one clamoring for him to be the QB. Then Romo got hurt. Broaddus said he really didn't look that great in practice many times. Dak was in the right place at the right time.

Exactly, it was the first preseason game where Dak showed he has that ability to rise to the occasion in game action. Romo is the same way, he looks better in games than practice and he sat on the bench for two years without playing until Bledsoe completely tanked.

After that first preseason game in LA TMZ had camera on Jerry going into a restaurant on La Cienega at Beverly, he got out of his limo (half crocked already) and answered every question with "Dak Prescott" with a huge grin on his face. Jerry is Jerry, if he actually thought that before the game he would have spent a week telling every reporter in sight to look for it so he could claim credit for it after the game.

Deep_South

Reaction score
This is all so silly, asking the team that drafted him why they didn't do so earlier. Why not ask the other 31 teams why they didn't draft him at all? They're the dummies in this scenario, not the Cowboys.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate this argument. Teams spend a *fortune* every year on their NFL draft preparation. They get, generally, 7 picks. One of them hits and people say they 'got lucky.' It's kind of ridiculous if you stop to think about it. Those spots are valuable in every round. If you really think after the first two picks they just let Jerry finish getting drunk and shout names into the headset, I don't know what to tell you.

brymatt94

Reaction score
I love listening to Dan Patrick but he was on the wrong side of the argument for this one.