News: DMN: Think the Cowboys stumbled onto drafting Dak Prescott? Michael Irvin says nope

goshan

Reaction score
yep been saying the same things Mike is pointing to.

Yeah but we would NOT have taken him if we would have gotten Lynch or Cook, which was the draft plan. He was the third choice. Some of you saying we would have drafted two qbs in the first four rounds are completely off base.

Btw, I have not heard anyone giving NE much credit for taking Brady in round 6.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah but we would NOT have taken him if we would have gotten Lynch or Cook, which was put draft plan. He was the third choice.

Btw, I have not heard anyone giving NE much credit for taking Brady in round 6.

Yes they looked at guys whom not only Dallas but others had rated higher. Does not change the fact that they still put in the time and the effort and when they were on the clock they choose Dak not some other player. Same with Brown, he is a what 6th rd pick but they scouted him worked him out and slotted him where they felt he would be did they know he would be playing better than some vet? no but they still picked him when others did not

It also does not change the fact that had Dak came out and played poorly many here would have been hollering about a wasted pick and how the Cowboys can't make good mid rd picks

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Wilson too, even though he didn't make it into Jerry's quote.

I think it was the Peter King article that mentioned Wilson was Dak's biggest backer among the coaches. It seemed to be Wilson, Linehan, then Garrett in that order.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
There is no denying that the Cowboys struck draft gold this past spring when they selected quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth round. But did they stumble onto simply by luck? That's what radio host Dan Patrick argued on The Dan Patrick Show on Tuesday. Former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin, a guest on the show, vehemently disagreed with Patrick. Here is their exchange (which you can also watch below in full, starting at the 10:40 mark)
Patrick: I think Jerry (Jones) is his own worst enemy. It's not like he was a great boss in figuring out that Dak Prescott was gonna be his quarterback. They did everything they could to get somebody else. They stumbled into that.

Irvin: Dan, stop. That is the process that every team goes through when it comes down to evaluating players. So to try to take credit away from them getting Dak Prescott, saying they stumbled up on Dak Prescott when the draft is the process ...

Patrick: Mike, Mike, Mike. They wanted Carson Wentz. They tried to trade up desperately for Paxton Lynch. They thought about Johnny Manziel a couple years ago.

Irvin: Have you talked to the people over there at Mississippi (State)? They (the Cowboys) were the only ones that had interest in Dak Prescott. So they were saying, we see something in him. We're the only ones that see something in him. We tell one side of the story and we don't deliver the other side which makes it seem like it's something other than what it is. The process they went by to get Dak Prescott, 31 other teams went through the same process to get every player they got. They got the player on the board that they wanted and they got the player that they got. Now when he turns out great, we keep saying, 'Ah, you didn't even really want this guy.' No, they went through the process.

Patrick: They waited until the fourth round, Mike!

Irvin: Tom Brady went in the sixth! What are we saying? So we got to take credit away from New England for getting Tom Brady in the sixth?

Patrick: No, they accidentally fell into Tom Brady, absolutely.

Irvin: They picked him. He was there. They picked him at the value that was given to the market, not just the value they had to him. They were doing business. So even if they love Dak Prescott, should they take him in the first round when he'll be there in the fourth? You see what I'm saying?

Patrick: Then you run the risk of somebody else taking him and then that brilliant business decision. And so was it a smokescreen that you were all-in on Paxton Lynch and until the Broncos swooped in and got him you were taking him? So they would have taken Paxton Lynch, Mike, and they would have missed out on the best quarterback in the draft. That doesn't make any sense.

Irvin: You're basically saying Dan if you've got seven draft picks, they only evaluate the seven guys that they really want. Don't worry about anybody else, just the seven guys that you really want, which makes no sense, Dan. You have to evaluate the players you have interest in and then get them accordingly to how you best can get them on the draft, and that's the process that team went by.

Continue reading...
They always try to run those bait and switch games. Just keep it real like Mike always does. It worked out for the good and the haters can't stand it.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I would say the Cowboys valued Dak more than any other team in the draft at the time they picked him, because all other teams had passed on him up to that point. No luck involved. There is nothing unusual at all about teams shifting their picks as players they have listed higher are taken. That happens to every team all through the draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would say the Cowboys valued Dak more than any other team in the draft at the time they picked him, because all other teams had passed on him up to that point. No luck involved. There is nothing unusual at all about teams shifting their picks as players they have listed higher are taken. That happens to every team all through the draft.

Exactly and I don't hear about it being just bad luck when we have not hit on mid rd picks it is normally called clueless, incompetent or worse.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

yimyammer

Reaction score
I think it was the Peter King article that mentioned Wilson was Dak's biggest backer among the coaches. It seemed to be Wilson, Linehan, then Garrett in that order.

From: Who was driving force that brought Dak Prescott to Cowboys and why did it take so long?
So who was most responsible on the Dallas coaching staff? There are varying opinions. What’s clear is that head coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson all liked Prescott and thought he was a worthwhile project. But Garrett had some concerns about Prescott’s off-field incidents and made a point to drill into him about it in their personal meetings. And Linehan? He remained a big Kellen Moore backer behind Romo, but believed Prescott had the skills to develop down the line.

Ultimately, the driving force that tipped the scales seems to have been Wilson, who went all over the map looking at Prescott. In terms of overall assessment and scouting, Wilson’s work on Prescott’s on-field abilities might have had the most depth. So there is merit in saying that Wilson may have planted the seed that was ultimately fed and cultivated by Garrett and Linehan.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dak-prescott.348476/

Most were not calling it luck on draft day they said how poor this pick was now that Dak is showing success it is now all luck. LOL

It's fascinating reading those draft day comments in retrospect. Some people nailed it, like this guy!!

I have already said that Dak reminds me very much of Russell Wilson. Only difference is Dak is probably a better runner if you can believe that!

When you factor in Dak's leadership, build (3 inches bigger and about 10-15 lbs heavier) and similar arm strength, it is amazing he lasted until the end of the 4th. Russell went 3rd round, 75th pick. If not for the DUI, Dak probably would have went the same place in the draft.

I am just amazed we have this guy and it helps us now because I believe he can come in and win games if Romo goes down and it helps us int he future potentially if he polishes his game and can take the reigns.

We had a GREAT draft for both now and into the future!

The Realist

Reaction score
It's fascinating reading those draft day comments in retrospect. Some people nailed it, like this guy!!

I liked Dak pre draft quite a bit. In fact after the 2015 draft Dak was one of the first guys I started looking at and targeting. I remember talking about him with another friend who is a Cowboys fan and seeing the sucker punch video when it first happened. I liked the Wilson comparison as well. I called him Wilson without the top end speed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't keep up with college football enough to have an opinion so I came late to that thread like you to see how spot on some of our experts are

I thought the kid had some potential... But nothing like what we've seen.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
There is a little bit of luck involved in every single later round pick.

You still have to do your due diligence to and be prepared to make the pick over some one else.

Dallas got to get Romo as an UDFA, but they were also aware of his potential and were able to sign him over Denver.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I liked Dak pre draft quite a bit. In fact after the 2015 draft Dak was one of the first guys I started looking at and targeting. I remember talking about him with another friend who is a Cowboys fan and seeing the sucker punch video when it first happened. I liked the Wilson comparison as well. I called him Wilson without the top end speed.

You were one of the few who saw how good Dak could be. I didn't know anything about him so didn't have an opinion one way or the other. But I liked him immediately in preseason when he lit everyone up, lol.

The Realist

Reaction score
You were one of the few who saw how good Dak could be. I didn't know anything about him so didn't have an opinion one way or the other. But I liked him immediately in preseason when he lit everyone up, lol.

I saw something but not this. Thought he would be a 2-3 year project but thought with our D issues we needed to be looking at QB's rounds 3-4. I was really impressed by how he played at the Senior Bowl.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Luck or whatever it was...just delighted the Cowboys took him instead of say...the Giants. Anyway, he came to the club in the 4th round so there is certainly an element of luck to it and not drafting skill. The Cowboys are so lucky another team didn't grab him much sooner.