CFZ Do we actually have fans who believe Dak is Elite?

Traye1

Reaction score
I’ve been going to bat for him in recent years against the Dak Haks but in another thread been arguing with a fan I actually agree on many issues but he believes Prescott has become Elite and in Top 5 of QB’s in the league.

He even asked me what 5 QB’s are better. Which was an easy response. Prescott is arguably by most sound analysts and critics closer to a Top 10 QB, not Top 5. Which being in the next best group isn’t a bad place to be .

The argument stemmed from a basis narrative of his that Elite QB’s were a necessity to being a consistent contender in Cap era. Which is another argument within itself . There are exceptions to that rule as well. But the argument initiated with criticism of franchises with less playoff success this era. We actually agree to a point on that basis.

And then he said Dak has become Elite. Even saying that he had bashed him earlier in his career. Are there other fans who also believe he has become Elite? I thought besides the extremes on both sides of the Haks and Homers that most felt he was closer to Top 10 to above average . Enough to build around and hopefully have more success.

Like most franchises except for a handful who have an Elite QB, you have to build around average to above average QB’s. No shame in that . Anyway, curious where the vibe is at this time . Not interested in hearing from the extremes. Thanks

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Depends on who you compare him to. Elite right now is not the same Elite a decade or so ago. Compared to the league right now though he's good, you can do alot worse than Dak.

The standard for elite never changes.. You have to be near the top of what you do to be considered elite. Whether the line is at 80th percentile, 90th percentile or 99th percentile.. Wherever one draws that line anybody on the other side of it is by definition elite. Because they are the best. Now trying to place a guy in historical context is a different discussion altogether because of all the changes in the game and the rules across eras. But if a guy is among the top of his contemporaries.. then he is elite. Period. Roger Staubach's numbers would not be considered elite in the modern NFL. But I have little doubt that Roger could have put up hellacious numbers in this era. If for no other reason than the rule changes to stop QBs from getting decapitated would have extended his career another 4-5 years. Same with Aikman.. his number would be very middling in the current era.. but how amazing would his numbers look throwing to Irvin in a league where DBs can't blow up the receiver and DEs can't blow up the QB? Point being.. if you're great for your time then you're great.. Period.

Dak is not great... not yet.. but he has been trending in that direction.. slowly climbing the ladder. Some guys have gotten there quicker than him and that makes us Cowboy fans impatient. But the only one of these so called all time great young QBs to hoist a chip is Mahomes. The rest still have the same number of championship rings Dak does.

We know Dak can't be called truly great until he puts together at least one amazing playoff run.. but we can certainly appreciate what he and this offense have done over these last two plus seasons. I feel fairly confident that if they keep threatening to score 40 week in and week out they'll be fine in the playoffs even with the defense struggling. But I don't expect the defense to continue to play this bad. I think with some rest (next week) and getting some guys back, (Hankins, LVE ) the defense will get back closer to what it was. Probably not all the way back.. but maybe just enough for us to win a coupla playoff games.. assuming the offense holds up its end too.

jnday

Reaction score
We heard things in training camp like Tyler Smith isn't any good. Cut Wright now he is a bust. They don't have a kicker. They don't have a back up qb. They will never win with Jerry Jones. They have an amateur front office. They never sign free agents. They are cheap. They spent too much on the qb. They can't win with the money that they spent on the qb and rb. They didn't do anything to fix the oline. Their receivers suck. The coaches suck. It goes on an on and on.
It will remain that way until the team proves the critics wrong.

Sydla

Reaction score
They have made some excellent decisions over the last 2 years.

And do they have to show for it? Another first round playoff loss at home?

Great.

Reality is if they fizzle out early again this January praising their roster building would be misguided.

RD21

Reaction score
The standard for elite never changes.. You have to be near the top of what you do to be considered elite. Whether the line is at 80th percentile, 90th percentile or 99th percentile.. Wherever one draws that line anybody on the other side of it is by definition elite. Because they are the best. Now trying to place a guy in historical context is a different discussion altogether because of all the changes in the game and the rules across eras. But if a guy is among the top of his contemporaries.. then he is elite. Period. Roger Staubach's numbers would not be considered elite in the modern NFL. But I have little doubt that Roger could have put up hellacious numbers in this era. If for no other reason than the rule changes to stop QBs from getting decapitated would have extended his career another 4-5 years. Same with Aikman.. his number would be very middling in the current era.. but how amazing would his numbers look throwing to Irvin in a league where DBs can't blow up the receiver and DEs can't blow up the QB? Point being.. if you're great for your time then you're great.. Period.

Dak is not great... not yet.. but he has been trending in that direction.. slowly climbing the ladder. Some guys have gotten there quicker than him and that makes us Cowboy fans impatient. But the only one of these so called all time great young QBs to hoist a chip is Mahomes. The rest still have the same number of championship rings Dak does.

We know Dak can't be called truly great until he puts together at least one amazing playoff run.. but we can certainly appreciate what he and this offense have done over these last two plus seasons. I feel fairly confident that if they keep threatening to score 40 week in and week out they'll be fine in the playoffs even with the defense struggling. But I don't expect the defense to continue to play this bad. I think with some rest (next week) and getting some guys back, (Hankins, LVE ) the defense will get back closer to what it was. Probably not all the way back.. but maybe just enough for us to win a coupla playoff games.. assuming the offense holds up its end too.

Great post Ronnie. I agree.

We must be of similar age (I'm early 50's), because I also watched Roger, & Troy play. I can't tell you how many times I've said in the last few years, imagine if they could've played in THIS league...lol. Those guys were elite when being a QB was much more painful, & dangerous than it is today. Remember when Theismann literally got his teeth knocked out..?

It is so difficult to discuss/debate eras with younger fans who didn't experience the pre-salary cap era. The pre-protect the QB era. The pre-don't hit anybody era. The youngsters don't get the concept of "coming over the middle". That's just another route today....lol.

As far as Dak... I'd sure love to see him be successful. However, he's got to get it done in Jan, & play in Feb to be considered elite imo. I'll forgive all, if he ever hoists a Lombardi.