CFZ Do we actually have fans who believe Dak is Elite?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He is a mediocre QB. Nothing more and nothing less. There is a reason he was a 4th round draft pick.
what does 4th round have to do with anything....just stop if. Brady was a 6th round pick. Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Leaf was second over all pick and so was Turbiskey, who was drafted ahead of Mahomes. Josh rosen was 10th pick of the draft

thta's pre-nfl play evaluation....

that line of argument is stupid at this point.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Nah, I shoulda said order the gold jacket and a bust in Canton.
But reading what you say prompts comparisons and contrasts with Cowboys' Danny White and Dak. Firstly, both played in different NFL eras-but the metrics are similar. Although Danny led the Cowboys to 3 NFCCGs, he was unappreciated as a quarterback by a whole lot of folks. I recall that some fans (and pundits) even thought more of him as a punter than an NFL quarterback. As the teams were leaving that soggy field at Candlestick Park, after the crushing loss to the 49ers in the 1982 championship game, the camera showed him, dispirited, walk to the dressing room. Ive never felt so sorry for a player in my life.

Not prophetic or anything, but Dak might have some of the same hills to climb. And I realize that wont be a popular comment around here.

Unrealistic expectations is part of the job description as QB of the Cowboys. Dak grew up a Cowboys fan so he knows that as well as anyone. I agree with you on Danny White.. he was grossly unappreciated in his time as the starter. I still don't know what the hell Landry was doing benching him for "Hogenboom." People also forget that the Cowboys were probably on their way to a playoff berth in '87 before White got hurt. I don't anybody needs to tell Dak that he's got to find a way to win a few playoff games to get this fan base and the media mostly off his back.

rambo2

Reaction score
I would LOVE to be able to make that list...along with the ones that said "tank the season NOW" after the first game.

Not one peep from any of them.
We heard things in training camp like Tyler Smith isn't any good. Cut Wright now he is a bust. They don't have a kicker. They don't have a back up qb. They will never win with Jerry Jones. They have an amateur front office. They never sign free agents. They are cheap. They spent too much on the qb. They can't win with the money that they spent on the qb and rb. They didn't do anything to fix the oline. Their receivers suck. The coaches suck. It goes on an on and on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unrealistic expectations is part of the job description as QB of the Cowboys. Dak grew up a Cowboys fan so he knows that as well as anyone. I agree with you on Danny White.. he was grossly unappreciated in his time as the starter. I still don't know what the hell Landry was doing benching him for "Hogenboom." People also forget that the Cowboys were probably on their way to a playoff berth in '87 before White got hurt. I don't anybody needs to tell Dak that he's got to find a way to win a few playoff games to get this fan base and the media mostly off his back.

It was 1984 White was initially benched for Hogeboom but White eventual that season was reinstated.

And it was 1986 when Danny White went down for the season . The Cowboys were 6-2 finishing 7-9 for their first losing season since 1965.

Then in 1987 Danny returned as starter but with inconsistent play was benched for Pueller. Danny regained the starting position in 1988 but early in year had season ending knee injury. And never played again.

And the Cowboys never recovered after Whites injuries as Landry finished his career with 3 losing seasons with Hogeboom and Pueller starting at QB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We heard things in training camp like Tyler Smith isn't any good. Cut Wright now he is a bust. They don't have a kicker. They don't have a back up qb. They will never win with Jerry Jones. They have an amateur front office. They never sign free agents. They are cheap. They spent too much on the qb. They can't win with the money that they spent on the qb and rb. They didn't do anything to fix the oline. Their receivers suck. The coaches suck. It goes on an on and on.
That’s quite an exaggeration on the overall criticism.

First of all most were concerned Tyler could immediately fill Tyron’s role. Obviously Tyler has quickly developed.

And I don’t think anyone predicted we’d go 4-1 with Rush. What most did get right is our defense would be much improved. Which is the basis for our success at least early on while Prescott was out.

And we still haven’t won any championships without a Jimmy built team. So the criticism over this era is still justified of our owner .

We’ll see how the overall vibe is if we come up short again in playoffs .

Personally I think we have over achieved with the concerns we had coming in with OL and receiving Corp. I had us winning 10-11 games fighting for division and or a WC. And expected Egirls and division to be much more improved.

What I didn’t expect is for The Rams, Packers and Bucs to all be down . This really opens up the doors .

And we have the team that could make some noise and be a tough out in the playoffs. We also appear to be in good position moving forward to next season.

I think all in all it’s turned much better than expected considering Daks injury and the concerns we had on OL and WR. Which WR was a concern early on. But with Gallups return from injury we begin seeing things open up more for everyone. Noah has made a solid contribution and now with our newest FA signing looking pretty good as our TE’s are making a contribution too. Not to mention Pollards big year.

And in offseason we will have to address our RB contracts which will be a big undertaking . We shall see how it all shakes out. But I think it’s doubtful we retain Elliott and Pollard unless one is willing to take much less .

starfan1

Reaction score
Because doom and gloom is huge thing these days with cowboy fans instead of just enjoying the ride

rambo2

Reaction score

First of all most were concerned Tyler could immediately fill Tyron’s role. Obviously Tyler has quickly developed.

And I don’t think anyone predicted we’d go 4-1 with Rush. What most did get right is our defense would be much improved. Which is the basis for our success at least early on while Prescott was out.

And we still haven’t won any championships without a Jimmy built team. So the criticism over this era is still justified of our owner .

Personally I think we have over achieved with the concerns we had coming in with OL and receiving Corp. I had us winning 10-11 games fighting for division and or a WC. And expected Egirls and division to be much more improved.

What I didn’t expect is for The Rams, Packers and Bucs to all be down . This really opens up the doors .

And we have the team that could make some noise and be a tough out in the playoffs. We also appear to be in good position moving forward to next season.

I think all in all it’s turned much better than expected considering Daks injury and the concerns we had on OL and WR. Which WR was a concern early on. But with Gallups return from injury we begin seeing things open up more for everyone. Noah has made a solid contribution and now with our newest FA signing looking pretty good as our TE’s are making a contribution too. Not to mention Pollards big year.

And in offseason we will have to address our RB contracts which will be a big undertaking . We shall see how it all shakes out. But I think it’s doubtful we retain Elliott and Pollard unless one is willing to take much less .
I don't think it was exaggerated at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
My gawd, man, don't you ever pay attention to whom you listen to?

rambo2

Reaction score
My gawd, man, don't you ever pay attention to whom you listen to?
Lol, I told them they were wrong every step of the way even when they lost Dak in the first game, I stayed positive and said that we very well could beat the Bengals and the Rams. Here we sit at 12 and 4.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's not an exaggeration if you listen to every peep, which is apparently what the poster is doing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol, I told them they were wrong every step of the way even when they lost Dak in the first game, I stayed positive and said that we very well could beat the Bengals and the Rams. Here we sit at 12 and 4.
I understand, but how does it not drive you crazy listening and responding to the morons whose only goal is to upset you and get you to respond. When you actually give them your time, they win.

rambo2

Reaction score
I understand, but how does it not drive you crazy listening and responding to the morons whose only goal is to upset you and get you to respond. When you actually give them your time, they win.
I'm actually enjoying the ride. The Cowboys have a decent chance at having a good playoff run this time. They are very good. It's not driving me crazy. I'm already amused that they have done so well after a bunch of people had them dead and buried after the first game of the season.

Sydla

Reaction score

They have 3 playoff wins in 20+ years. That's one of the worst stretches amongst NFL teams. There has been one constant throughout that entire stretch - Jerry Jones as GM.

The proof is in the results. As a homer, you struggle with that reality. Maybe this is the year they break that trend. Or maybe, like has happened for the past 20+ years, this team just fizzles out early again. Either way, you'll be talking about how great Jerry has been.

wssaustin

Reaction score
I think all QB need a supporting team around them, don't kid yourself Brady has played with many outstanding players including HOF'ers who have been major contributors to his success and that of the team. Rodgers less talent around him but as you point out when GB put more into the defense that got that team over the hump. The one constant about football is it takes a team to win it, not one man. Media loves to focus on QB and while it is important position, it is also a position that relies on those around him to have success.

That's the point, and I think Dak understands it. Few people called him suck when he was on rookie deal when he played bad. After he demands a contract at an elite QB level, the rest of the team gonna be lesser. That's greed, selfish, and bad leadership, of course, he is getting toasted when bad thing happens.

rambo2

Reaction score
They have 3 playoff wins in 20+ years. That's one of the worst stretches amongst NFL teams. There has been one constant throughout that entire stretch - Jerry Jones as GM.

The proof is in the results. As a homer, you struggle with that reality. Maybe this is the year they break that trend. Or maybe, like has happened for the past 20+ years, this team just fizzles out early again. Either way, you'll be talking about how great Jerry has been.
1st of all what does 20 years have to do with this current team? If you want to go back to last year, they are 24 and 9 which is the best in the NFC. They lost one playoff game by 6 points. Do you really believe that this team will lose the first playoff game this year?

Sydla

Reaction score
1st of all what does 20 years have to do with this current team? If you want to go back to last year, they are 24 and 9 which is the best in the NFC. They lost one playoff game by 6 points. Do you really believe that this team will lose the first playoff game this year?

It's not hard to figure out. Jerry has been in total charge of an organization that some of the worst postseason results in the league over the last 20 years. He's built 13, 12, 11 win teams over that stretch that just putzed out come January. So at the end of the day, heap praise on him all you want for the team he's "built" this year but until we see the results in January, it's pointless. If they make a run in January, great, Jerry gets the credit. But if they fizzle out yet again early, praising Jerry for a team well built is kind of funny.

At the end of the day, teams aren't judge by how many regular season wins they have. It's all about postseason results. Does anyone talk about our 13 win season a few years ago? Nope. Because we fizzled out the first playoff game.

I have no idea if we will win our first playoff game. That's the point. They've done nothing for me to assume this is the year that this all suddenly changes. At this point, after 20 years of ineptitude, it's see it to believe it for me.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's not hard to figure out. Jerry has been in total charge of an organization that some of the worst postseason results in the league over the last 20 years. He's built 13, 12, 11 win teams over that stretch that just putzed out come January. So at the end of the day, heap praise on him all you want for the team he's "built" this year but until we see the results in January, it's pointless. If they make a run in January, great, Jerry gets the credit. But if they fizzle out yet again early, praising Jerry for a team well built is kind of funny.

At the end of the day, teams aren't judge by how many regular season wins they have. It's all about postseason results. Does anyone talk about our 13 win season a few years ago? Nope. Because we fizzled out the first playoff game.

I have no idea if we will win our first playoff game. That's the point. They've done nothing for me to assume this is the year that this all suddenly changes. At this point, after 20 years of ineptitude, it's see it to believe it for me.
They have made some excellent decisions over the last 2 years.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Depends on who you compare him to. Elite right now is not the same Elite a decade or so ago. Compared to the league right now though he's good, you can do alot worse than Dak.