Do we really want another QB that was drafted by the Browns

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Prepare to be embarrassed.

Unfortunately it could happen. odds makers seem to think RGIII will be going to Houston who is also looking at QB but at this stage nothing would shock me. I would hope if RGIII or Manziel ends up in dallas that they will look to the draft as well at QB. I think counting on either of these guys would be a big mistake

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Well since Dallas hasn't either drafted one or developed their own in all these years.........that's what it comes down to. Beggars can't be choosy.

#2 Come on down!!!

I think a good part of the reason JJ hasn't drafted a QB for so long has to do with how QB's were paid. Prior to the current CBA (agreed upon in 2011), if a team drafted a QB in the first round, it was going to cost dearly (see Sam Bradford/JaMarcus Russell, for example). Given that JJ had Romo in his prime, there was no need to draft one, especially when it was going to eat a lot of your cap space. Then the new CBA came along in 2011 and rookie contracts were slotted and their contracts limited, taking one became far less risky ($$ wise). Even with far less risk, JJ still (in his mind) had no reason to draft a QB high because Romo was still in his prime. I can't say that I disagree with his logic through those years. Today, however, I think Jerry may be thinking a little differently. I think he'll be seriously considering a QB high in the draft...all signs point to it. That said, there's still the matter of your pick lining up with the value available. I want a QB, but I don't want to reach for one.. If the value isn't there, move on to a position where the value (and possibly the need) meets the pick (O-Linemen are another great example in the philosophical shift brought about by the new CBA...no way would he draft one in the first round and pay him what it would take to sign him prior to 2011. Since then, we've drafted three in the first round). Bottom line, just because Jerry hasn't shown a propensity to draft QB's in the past doesn't mean he won't consider it now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry gets JF, maybe some Aggie fan will buy my PSL's to my season tickets....hmmm....may not be so bad after all......:eek:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately it could happen. odds makers seem to think RGIII will be going to Houston who is also looking at QB but at this stage nothing would shock me. I would hope if RGIII or Manziel ends up in dallas that they will look to the draft as well at QB. I think counting on either of these guys would be a big mistake

I agree.

I'm not totally against bringing in either guy, but what I am against is not ensuring against either guy failing here.

If Jerry wants to take a low risk flyer on Manziel? I'm fine with that. But keep it low risk by having other options in place. If you don't, low risk becomes high risk.

The same thing for RGIII. I've stated several times that I think he's a poor fit because he hasn't shown the necessary development in the mental aspects of the game. Pairing that with a staff that hasn't shown that they can teach and develop quarterbacks well, and I think it's a bad marriage.

But if they still want o go that route, just have other options in case it doesn't work out.

I think that neither acquisition should have any bearing on what they do in the draft, and if they allow it to, it would be a mistake.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I still say kick the tires on RGIII....nothing ventured, nothing gained, and even if he's not a future starter, he's a class act will be a good member of the team. Johnny Football....this guy is a loser. He's an alcoholic and gambler with serious issues that he clearly cannot control. NO WAY! No thank you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree.

I'm not totally against bringing in either guy, but what I am against is not ensuring against either guy failing here.

If Jerry wants to take a low risk flyer on Manziel? I'm fine with that. But keep it low risk by having other options in place. If you don't, low risk becomes high risk.

The same thing for RGIII. I've stated several times that I think he's a poor fit because he hasn't shown the necessary development in the mental aspects of the game. Pairing that with a staff that hasn't shown that they can teach and develop quarterbacks well, and I think it's a bad marriage.

But if they still want o go that route, just have other options in case it doesn't work out.

I think that neither acquisition should have any bearing on what they do in the draft, and if they allow it to, it would be a mistake.

I agree. I think neither guy is worth the distractions they will bring. Heck I would look to a backup like Chase Daniel or Drew Stanton in a backup role over RGIII or Manziel. None are franchise QB and not what you will put the future in their hands they would be here only as backups.

RS12

Reaction score
I still say kick the tires on RGIII....nothing ventured, nothing gained, and even if he's not a future starter, he's a class act will be a good member of the team. Johnny Football....this guy is a loser. He's an alcoholic and gambler with serious issues that he clearly cannot control. NO WAY! No thank you.

RG3 was reported to be generally disliked by team mates FWIW.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Well, it depends. If this team is going to be as bad as they were this past season then heck yes. At least I will be entertained.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I think neither guy is worth the distractions they will bring. Heck I would look to a backup like Chase Daniel or Drew Stanton in a backup role over RGIII or Manziel. None are franchise QB and not what you will put the future in their hands they would be here only as backups.

I'm liking Colt McCoy myself. I think he's developed as a player and would be happy being a role player back in Texas.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
RG3 was reported to be generally disliked by team mates FWIW.

I have actually heard he was a good teammate this past season after he accepted the fact that he lost his job to Cousins. Here are a few blurbs about his last day......

“I can’t say I’ve met a guy who’s in a better spirit in a sense where he was the biggest cheerleader this year,” said teammate Darrel Young, who drove to and from most home games with Griffin. “You can respect a guy like that and a guy that’s in a situation that basically he had to sit on his hands and take a back seat.”

“I can’t say I’ve met a guy who’s in a better spirit in a sense where he was the biggest cheerleader this year,” said teammate Darrel Young, who drove to and from most home games with Griffin. “You can respect a guy like that and a guy that’s in a situation that basically he had to sit on his hands and take a back seat.”

“This team wishes [Griffin] nothing but the best. He’s a good teammate,” Golston said. “He’s been a guy that has had some really high highs and had some difficulty times here. And you hope that he can grow from all these situations and still achieve all the things that he wants to achieve in his career.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016...fin-iii-a-day-of-goodbyes-at-Commanders-park/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm liking Colt McCoy myself. I think he's developed as a player and would be happy being a role player back in Texas.

Was a big fan of Colt at UT maybe as a backup sure. Then again I see a lot of similarities between Colt and Kellen Moore.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was a big fan of Colt at UT maybe as a backup sure. Then again I see a lot of similarities between Colt and Kellen Moore.

I think there are some physical limitations with both, but I would say fewer with McCoy in my opinion. McCoy doesn't have a gun for an arm, but I think he's more than capable as a backup and I think they could do worse.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think there are some physical limitations with both, but I would say fewer with McCoy in my opinion. McCoy doesn't have a gun for an arm, but I think he's more than capable as a backup and I think they could do worse.

I agree. I think McCoy has had more opportunities and thus is further along.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not since Bernie Kosar stepped in for an injured Troy Aikman in the 93 NFC title game leading the Cowboys to a SB birth has a QB the Browns drafted had success after they left Cleveland. Romo is the only QB the Cowboys have had since Aikman they've been able to develop into a solid NFL QB. The circus Manziel would bring to Dallas would lead to nothing but a distraction and there's bound to be issues with him that will take away from the play on the field.

Manziel has a drinking problem and can't be trusted he continued to screw up in Cleveland and his issues are a long way from being behind him. He's on the brink of ruining his NFL career. When you're a 4-12 team you can't be trying to reform problem players you need players you can trust who have good character.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You decide who's better between the vet and Manziel after preseason and cut one.

Doubt the Cowboys will bring 2 backup veteran QBs to training camp it's possible but I don't anticipate it. I'm thinking Cassel gets cut, the team drafts a QB and another veteran is added.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Doubt the Cowboys will bring 2 backup veteran QBs to training camp it's possible but I don't anticipate it. I'm thinking Cassel gets cut, the team drafts a QB and another veteran is added.

Keep Romo out of the preseason, draft someone and put the other two at competition. See how a bit of pressure affects them.