Do we really want another QB that was drafted by the Browns

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Keep Romo out of the preseason, draft someone and put the other two at competition. See how a bit of pressure affects them.

The backup QBs will get most of the playing time in preseason but Romo has to play some to be sharp for the regular season. He only played in 4 games this season the last game being in week 12 vs Carolina so he can't be kept out of preseason if he expects to be ready for the regular season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doubt the Cowboys will bring 2 backup veteran QBs to training camp it's possible but I don't anticipate it. I'm thinking Cassel gets cut, the team drafts a QB and another veteran is added.

I would if I were running things. This team not only spent a 2016 6th round pick on a TE they effectively never played, but they kept 4 of them on the roster for virtually an entire season!

If they can do that, why wouldn't they put four quarterbacks in the roster, especially since it's the most valuable position in the NFL?

Again, if it were up to me, and I wanted to roll the dice in either Manziel or Griffin, the smartest thing to do would be to have some insurance in case those guys bust. If you give yourself that insurance, signing either of those guys is low risk/high reward. If you don't have a backup plan, it becomes high risk.

I'd have no problem going into next season with:

Romo
Colt McCoy
Manziel
Goff or Wentz with the #4 selection

It wouldn't break the bank and it would ensure that I never have a repeat of the 2015 debacle again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Frankly it is not just the Browns reject it is everyone else rejects. I think most would agree finding a quality QB is hard to find and teams who have one are not letting them leave. Sure we can get a Jay Cutler type QB but then why would we want that. RGIII and Manziel are even less in terms of QB talent, their running ability does not mean jack this is not the NCAA I hope to find a QB who can drop back, read a defense and be able to attack it mobility is a great asset it is not what makes a great QB

There's only a few quality "starting" QBs out there so finding a quality 'backup" QB can be a real challenge. I would take any QB who has Jay Cutlers arm and ability to be a "backup." He's not a consistent starter but if you could find a Jay Cutler type to come off the bench in a pinch I would take that any day because there's not a backup QB out there that doesn't have plenty of flaws which is why they're backups.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's only a few quality "starting" QBs out there so finding a quality 'backup" QB can be a real challenge. I would take any QB who has Jay Cutlers arm and ability to be a "backup." He's not a consistent starter but if you could find a Jay Cutler type to come off the bench in a pinch I would take that any day because there's not a backup QB out there that doesn't have plenty of flaws which is why they're backups.

as a backup sure, I just think in the current situation I would just as soon see a draft pick placed behind Romo. #2 QB is not going to get a lot of reps but he will get more than the 3rd string QB. In my view I think if the object is to get a QB as the future of the team then allow him to get needed reps behind the starter. If he is forced into action then so be it.

Over the last few season I have been alright with having a vet QB sitting behind Romo but now at this stage of Romo career I would just as soon see our backup as guy like Goff, Lynch or Wentz

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would if I were running things. This team not only spent a 2016 6th round pick on a TE they effectively never played, but they kept 4 of them on the roster for virtually an entire season!

If they can do that, why wouldn't they put four quarterbacks in the roster, especially since it's the most valuable position in the NFL?

Again, if it were up to me, and I wanted to roll the dice in either Manziel or Griffin, the smartest thing to do would be to have some insurance in case those guys bust. If you give yourself that insurance, signing either of those guys is low risk/high reward. If you don't have a backup plan, it becomes high risk.

I'd have no problem going into next season with:

Romo
Colt McCoy
Manziel
Goff or Wentz with the #4 selection

It wouldn't break the bank and it would ensure that I never have a repeat of the 2015 debacle again.

With teams running multiple TE sets many have several TEs but we're talking QB and there's only so many opportunities even in preseason to see all your QBs play. If the Cowboys draft a QB high they're going to want to see a lot of him in preseason because they're not going to get much work once the regular season starts. You bring in a veteran QB and have them duel it out in preseason with your high draft pick giving both QBs equal opportunity with some of your starters. To have a fair competition all your QBs need time with the starting OL.

Your young QB is going to need the most work and because of their draft position they're going to get a lot of work during the summer reducing the reps of the other veteran QBs so you have to settle on one veteran QB to compete with your young QB. If the Cowboys take a QB in the "first round" I don't see them entering camp with 2 veteran backup QBs especially a couple who flamed out in Cleveland. You don't draft a QB in the first round and have them compete with 2 veteran backup QBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With teams running multiple TE sets many have several TEs

I think the Cowboys utter waste of resources is well established and made clear. We don't need to rehash that here. But suffice it to say that if they can keep 4 TE's on the 53-man roster, they could keep 3 QB's, especially given the obvious need.

but we're talking QB and there's only so many opportunities even in preseason to see all your QBs play. If the Cowboys draft a QB high they're going to want to see a lot of him in preseason because they're not going to get much work once the regular season starts. You bring in a veteran QB and have them duel it out in preseason with your high draft pick giving both QBs equal opportunity with some of your starters. To have a fair competition all your QBs need time with the starting OL.

If you've got a reliable backup, you can keep the rookie in bubble wrap for a season and focus strictly on learning and development. There's absolutely zero need for any sort of "competition" involving the rookie at all. Ideally, you don't want to play him unless you had to.

Your young QB is going to need the most work and because of their draft position they're going to get a lot of work during the summer reducing the reps of the other veteran QBs so you have to settle on one veteran QB to compete with your young QB. If the Cowboys take a QB in the "first round" I don't see them entering camp with 2 veteran backup QBs especially a couple who flamed out in Cleveland. You don't draft a QB in the first round and have them compete with 2 veteran backup QBs.

I'm not talking about the rookie competing with any veterans at all. If you're taking a guy at #4 overall, his place is secured for several years. And a guy like McCoy, who I'm advocating the team to sign, is enough of a veteran to not need a huge amount of reps anyway. Given the situation in Washington, he's certainly used to that.

As for Manziel? He'll take whatever he gets and make the most of it to show he belongs, or he won't. Part of any conditions I would have is that he is on a zero tolerance policy. If this is "where he wants to play" he has to prove it by being a model citizen. Or else he's gone and his career is likely over. I'd make sure that was crystal clear to him and I would stick to it. If Jerry doesn't do the same, that's on him, not Manziel.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
as a backup sure, I just think in the current situation I would just as soon see a draft pick placed behind Romo. #2 QB is not going to get a lot of reps but he will get more than the 3rd string QB. In my view I think if the object is to get a QB as the future of the team then allow him to get needed reps behind the starter. If he is forced into action then so be it.

Over the last few season I have been alright with having a vet QB sitting behind Romo but now at this stage of Romo career I would just as soon see our backup as guy like Goff, Lynch or Wentz

I'm on record in a number of posts not wanting to use our 4th overall pick on a QB. Doing so would make the Cowboys the first team ever to use a top 5 pick on a backup player. You may be drafting them for the future but a 4-12 team needs a top 5 pick to be an immediate starter not carrying a clipboard for who knows how long. If I'm running the draft and there's not a player that blows me away at #4 I'll trade down maybe even out of the top 10 picking up a #2, #4 this year and possibly a #1 next year who knows! I want a QB in this draft and would take one in the first round but NOT with the 4th overall pick unless I'm moving on from Romo.

The potential for a QB going bust is incredibly high just checkout previous drafts they're littered with QBs who went bust many taken in the top 10. I'm fine with gambling on a QB that's the only way you can find one in the draft but I'm not gambling a top 5 pick on one when I still have Romo playing at a high level. Of the Cowboys 4 wins 3 came with him and the odds of any of the QBs in this draft becoming as good as him or beating him out aren't very good. His health is what's going to eventually do him in but that could be 2-3 years from now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm on record in a number of posts not wanting to use our 4th overall pick on a QB. Doing so would make the Cowboys the first team ever to use a top 5 pick on a backup player. You may be drafting them for the future but a 4-12 team needs a top 5 pick to be an immediate starter not carrying a clipboard for who knows how long. If I'm running the draft and there's not a player that blows me away at #4 I'll trade down maybe even out of the top 10 picking up a #2, #4 this year and possibly a #1 next year who knows! I want a QB in this draft and would take one in the first round but NOT with the 4th overall pick unless I'm moving on from Romo.

The potential for a QB going bust is incredibly high just checkout previous drafts they're littered with QBs who went bust many taken in the top 10. I'm fine with gambling on a QB that's the only way you can find one in the draft but I'm not gambling a top 5 pick on one when I still have Romo playing at a high level. Of the Cowboys 4 wins 3 came with him and the odds of any of the QBs in this draft becoming as good as him or beating him out aren't very good. His health is what's going to eventually do him in but that could be 2-3 years from now.

and my take is the draft is about the future not just tomorrow. I think if we can get 2 good years out of Romo and have a QB waiting in the wings ready to take over and with very good skill sets then the future looks brighter. I would not do that with any other position with a top 5 pick except for QB. I get a DE or CB he is starting day 1 but in my view I think a mistake often made is putting young QB out there who are not ready and they pay the price.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys utter waste of resources is well established and made clear. We don't need to rehash that here. But suffice it to say that if they can keep 4 TE's on the 53-man roster, they could keep 3 QB's, especially given the obvious need.

Didn't say they couldn't or wouldn't keep 3 QBs but you listed 4 QBs. Like I said with 2 TE offenses there's more opportunity for TEs to play than QBs. Most teams carry 2-3 QBs the Cowboys will likely go with 3 because of Romo's injury concerns.

If you've got a reliable backup, you can keep the rookie in bubble wrap for a season and focus strictly on learning and development. There's absolutely zero need for any sort of "competition" involving the rookie at all. Ideally, you don't want to play him unless you had to.

You can't keep a QB drafted "high" in bubble wrap especially a top 5 pick if the Cowboys choose to go that route a QB drafted that high needs to play some. You need to find ways to get them on the field so they can develop and not go stale. When you invest a pick that high on a QB they need to not only be in a competition for the backup job but for the starting job. It makes no sense to take a QB that high if you don't have an immediate need for them when you have so many other needs. Any QB you take with a high pick needs to be involved in a competition or they won't be happy. If you don't need them to be at least your backup then use the pick on a player that has a chance to start and draft a QB later in the draft that you can bubble wrap for a few years.

I'm not talking about the rookie competing with any veterans at all. If you're taking a guy at #4 overall, his place is secured for several years. And a guy like McCoy, who I'm advocating the team to sign, is enough of a veteran to not need a huge amount of reps anyway. Given the situation in Washington, he's certainly used to that.

A QB taken #4 overall needs to be in a competition for playing time next season not a few years down the road. No QB taken that high is going to be happy not being given a chance to compete. A QB taken that high needs work to develop so you have to find ways to get them on the field some. You can't put a lot of money and a top 5 pick on a QB and waste it with them standing around with a clipboard for several years. The situation in Washington was totally different they drafted RG3 with the #2 overall pick to play immediately because they were desperate at the QB position. Cousins was a 4th round pick you can store a QB like that because you didn't invest much in them. If they goes stale or can't play it's no big deal because they were only a 4th round pick. Even as a rookie Cousins got to play some and even got a start. He had over 200 passing attempts his first 2 seasons enabling Washington to develop him some. It's not like they just had him standing around for the past 4 years he got to play a lot and that's how he developed into a solid starting QB.

As for Manziel? He'll take whatever he gets and make the most of it to show he belongs, or he won't. Part of any conditions I would have is that he is on a zero tolerance policy. If this is "where he wants to play" he has to prove it by being a model citizen. Or else he's gone and his career is likely over. I'd make sure that was crystal clear to him and I would stick to it. If Jerry doesn't do the same, that's on him, not Manziel.

Manziel didn't make the most of his opportunities in Cleveland continuing to screw up on and off the field. The Browns new head coach wants nothing to do with him. Manziel is an alcoholic he'll be battling that problem his entire life you can't trust a player especially a QB who has a dependency on alcohol and continues to want to go out and party. The Cowboys don't need distractions Manziel will bring if they want to bounce back from this miserable season.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't say they couldn't or wouldn't keep 3 QBs but you listed 4 QBs. Like I said with 2 TE offenses there's more opportunity for TEs to play than QBs. Most teams carry 2-3 QBs.

Unfortunately, that's never been the case in Dallas. They've invested heavily in the position, with disappoint results.

You can't keep a QB drafted "high" in bubble wrap especially a top 5 pick if the Cowboys choose to go that route a QB drafted that high needs to play some. You need to find ways to get them on the field some so they can develop and not go stale. When you invest a pick that high on a QB they need to not only be in a competition for the backup job but for the starting job. You have no business taking a QB that high if you don't have an immediate need for them. Any QB you take with a high pick needs to be involved in a competition or they won't be happy. If you don't need them to be at least your backup then use the pick on a player that has a chance to start and draft a QB later in the draft that you can bubble wrap for a few years.

Sorry, but that's nonsense to me. If your starter is available and playing well, it makes no difference if the high draft pick plays or not. Aaron Rodgers sat for years behind Favre, who was still playing well. If your starter is playing well, it's a nice luxury to have a good one for the future.

A QB taken #4 overall needs to be in a competition for playing time next season not a few years down the road. No QB taken that high is going to be happy not being given a chance to compete. A QB taken that high needs work to develop so you have to find ways to get them on the field some. You can't put a lot of money and a top 5 pick on a QB and waste it with them standing around with a clipboard for several years. The situation in Washington was totally different they drafted RG3 with the #2 overall pick to play immediately because they were desperate at the QB position. Cousins was a 4th round pick you can store a QB like that because you didn't invest much in them. If they goes stale or can't play it's no big deal because they were only a 4th round pick. Even as a rookie Cousins got to play some and even got a start. He had over 200 passing attempts his first 2 seasons enabling Washington to develop him some. It's not like they just had him standing around for the past 4 years he got to play a lot and that's how he developed into a solid starting QB.

Sorry, but your premise makes no sense. The ideal situation would for Romo to remain healthy and productive and to also have a quarterback of the future waiting in the wings.

Manziel didn't make the most of his opportunities in Cleveland continuing to screw up on and off the field. The Browns new head coach wants nothing to do with him. Manziel is an alcoholic he'll be battling that problem his entire life you can't trust a player especially a QB who has a dependency on alcohol and continues to want to go out and party. The Cowboys don't need distractions Manziel will bring if they want to bounce back from this miserable season.

I can't blame you for feeling that way and can only speak for myself that I would roll the dice on a low risk move to see if he can turn things around. But only if I had a reliable option like McCoy just in case.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
The backup QBs will get most of the playing time in preseason but Romo has to play some to be sharp for the regular season. He only played in 4 games this season the last game being in week 12 vs Carolina so he can't be kept out of preseason if he expects to be ready for the regular season.

He didn't take a preseason snap in 2014, he'll be fine without them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and my take is the draft is about the future not just tomorrow. I think if we can get 2 good years out of Romo and have a QB waiting in the wings ready to take over and with very good skill sets then the future looks brighter. I would not do that with any other position with a top 5 pick except for QB. I get a DE or CB he is starting day 1 but in my view I think a mistake often made is putting young QB out there who are not ready and they pay the price.

The draft is about the future but none of us can predict the future. No one knows how many of these QBs in the draft will turn out if any and no one knows how much longer Romo has. I don't believe in taking any player in the top 5 if you don't have an immediate need for that player especially a QB who plays a position that carries the highest rate for going bust. You can get by at other positions with average to decent play but not at QB. If they can't play at a high level you won't win consistently. You can take a QB later in the first round that has a good skill set to wait in the wings like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. A top 5 pick isn't just for the future it's for NOW especially when you're coming off a 4-12 season. If a young QB in the draft doesn't look like they'll be ready to start for awhile you shouldn't be taking them with a top 5 pick that's where you take QBs who look ready to start.

The young QBs who are currently having the most success in the league started as rookies such as Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton. Andrew Luck had success his first 3 seasons until his poor OL and the lack of talent around him caught up with him. Winston and Mariota looked good as rookies and both were taken in the top 2. You have no business taking a QB at #4 overall if they're not ready to start. You take a QB later in the first round or in the second round then you can be patient with them. The Cowboys need an immediate starter with the 4th overall pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He didn't take a preseason snap in 2014, he'll be fine without them.

You're wrong he played in 2 preseason games in 2014 vs Baltimore and Miami.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft is about the future but none of us can predict the future. No one knows how many of these QBs in the draft will turn out if any and no one knows how much longer Romo has. I don't believe in taking any player in the top 5 if you don't have an immediate need for that player especially a QB who plays a position that carries the highest rate for going bust. You can get by at other positions with average to decent play but not at QB. If they can't play at a high level you won't win consistently. You can take a QB later in the first round that has a good skill set to wait in the wings like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers.

You're pointing yo Todgers as your example, but the fact is that the league just overthought it and screwed up on him. He was rightfully the top overall pick until the 49'ers screwed it up. His talent was certainly top 5.

A top 5 pick isn't just for the future it's for NOW especially when you're coming off a 4-12 season. If a young QB in the draft doesn't look like they'll be ready to start for awhile you shouldn't be taking them with a top 5 pick that's where you take QBs who look ready to start.

That's entirely your opinion, and not anything based in fact.

The young QBs who are currently having the most success in the league started as rookies such as Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton. Andrew Luck had success his first 3 seasons until his poor OL and the lack of talent around him caught up with him. Winston and Mariota looked good as rookies and both were taken in the top 2. You have no business taking a QB at #4 overall if they're not ready to start. You take a QB later in the first round or in the second round then you can be patient with them. The Cowboys need an immediate starter with the 4th overall pick.

Rodgers is arguably the best in the league and didn't play right away, and neither did Brady. There's no magic formula when it comes to these things but in no way does sitting and learning hurt them.

This immediate starter thing is strictly your opinion. If you can get a franchise quarterback at any point in the draft, you do it. End of story.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
muttley.gif
Like it matters what anybody here wants. Jerry smells money, media attention, and a reclamation.

I don't want him here, but I believe Jerry Jones wants him here. And Jerry has the final say so get ready for the No. 2 jersey with "Manziel" stitched on the back. :(

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
You're wrong he played in 2 preseason games in 2014 vs Baltimore and Miami.

Meh, he hardly played in the Baltimore game, but whateves. Don't aspie out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's never been the case in Dallas. They've invested heavily in the position, with disappoint results.

They invested three #2's on TEs none of which panned out because they have a future HOF TE starting at the position. You don't use a "premium pick" on a player who's going to be playing behind a player who's already firmly established at the position it doesn't make any sense! The Cowboys keep trying to get these TEs on the field to play alongside Witten and it hasn't worked.

Sorry, but that's nonsense to me. If your starter is available and playing well, it makes no difference if the high draft pick plays or not. Aaron Rodgers sat for years behind Favre, who was still playing well. If your starter is playing well, it's a nice luxury to have a good one for the future.

It's foolish to use the 4th overall pick on any player who's going to be a backup. If the draft were left up to you, you would use the 4th overall pick on a QB and not even allow them to compete for the backup job. LOL You would rather bubble wrap them for a few years while Colt McCoy or Johnny jack*** man the backup position. :facepalm: That's not what the Packers did with Rodgers while Favre was starting. They gave him opportunities to play as their backup and you could see the potential he had especially against the Cowboys in 07 when he almost brought the Packers from behind.

Sorry, but your premise makes no sense. The ideal situation would for Romo to remain healthy and productive and to also have a quarterback of the future waiting in the wings.

My premise makes a lot of sense because I'll be using a later first round pick or a second rounder to develop a QB for the future. If they don't develop it won't be a huge setback like it will if the 4th overall pick were to go bust. The 4th overall pick should be pro ready now to make an immediate impact if they can play look at Winston and Mariota. We have a QB who can play we just need a QB to back him up that we can groom for the future and that QB can be had outside the top 10. Some of the greatest QBs in the history of the game were taken outside the top 10.

I can't blame you for feeling that way and can only speak for myself that I would roll the dice on a low risk move to see if he can turn things around. But only if I had a reliable option like McCoy just in case.

Manziel would bring his circus along with him which would lead to a distraction. Not only does he have off the field concerns but he looks to be injury prone having suffered injuries his first 2 seasons. Not saying Jerry won't take the risk he loves Manziel but I would steer clear of him. I wouldn't have a problem bringing in McCoy but only if I grade him out to be the best veteran QB option available. I would bring in a veteran QB to compete with the QB I draft.