Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go to make your malcontent RB happy?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
we re talking "hope for" vs "what we know what we got"

this is not a debate. MC will never reach the level of EE at their positions

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.

Bruuutal post. Yeah, Collins has BEASTED in the PRE season. Just a horrible take. Whereas, Zeke has done it in the REGULAR season. Any decent organization would sign both of them. But.......Jerrah and son probably won't.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bruuutal post. Yeah, Collins has BEASTED in the PRE season. Just a horrible take. Whereas, Zeke has done it in the REGULAR season. Any decent organization would sign both of them. But.......Jerrah and son probably won't.
Not true. The good org's don't overpay for players. PITT, NE, NYG, they all let guys walk who insist on maxed out contracts. DEN let Malik Jackson walk, and it hurt them badly.

I'd say the opposite is true of what you said.

Zordon

Reaction score
Did Flowers play OG previously?

He might be OK as OG. It is OT where he just doesn't have the required ability.
I remember he played snaps at OG for the Giants and looked bad but not as bad as at LT. He was one of the worst tackles I've ever seen in the NFL.

timb2

Reaction score
A RB that wants to be a party animal or a player who takes the game serious ? Hmmmmm?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember he played snaps at OG for the Giants and looked bad but not as bad as at LT. He was one of the worst tackles I've ever seen in the NFL.
Randy Gregory made him look silly in college also.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Its why we shouldn't over pay Dak. At least Zeke is the top player at his position.

With that said I'm not happy about Zeke and his hold out. I would let him sit out.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Maliek Collins has the same agent that Dak does. That tells me that he's not foregoing free agency to sign here at a discount. I had some hopes that it might happen, but I don't think there's a chance.

I think Collins balls out and is in line for huge money next year. It will be frustrating to have to watch him leave next year, but we will get small comfort in the form of a top compensatory pick the following year. Just too bad that he finally realized his potential in the year he walks out the door.
Nope not sad at all. I have a dislike and big distrust for dlinemen who breakout in contract years. At least Lawrence Greg Ellis and ware and Crawford were consistent for years. I don’t trust the Spencer and Hatchers of the league that have their first great season in their final year of contracts...

Hardline

Reaction score
This conversation is a year too early.
Let's see what kind of a season Collins has first.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope not sad at all. I have a dislike and big distrust for dlinemen who breakout in contract years. At least Lawrence Greg Ellis and ware and Crawford were consistent for years. I don’t trust the Spencer and Hatchers of the league that have their first great season in their final year of contracts...

I don’t see that being the case with Collins.

Altestic

Reaction score
we need to ink Collins to a 2015 Crawford deal, and plan to move on from Crawford

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maliek Collins has the same agent that Dak does. That tells me that he's not foregoing free agency to sign here at a discount. I had some hopes that it might happen, but I don't think there's a chance.
There's not a chance *now*.

The time to sign Collins was soon after the season's end. He'd be coming off of two down and injured seasons. Tell him we believe he can be more and want to sign him to a mid level contract. But we need to sign before the free agency so we can build the team accordingly.

It didn't take a crystal ball to see a big jump in Collins coming. He was looking like an up and coming star his rookie year. Then played with foot injuries the next two years. Obviously that's going to hold you back. And it's not an inherent injury problem in Collins if *the team* doesn't get his shoes right. Another coaching failure.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think Collins would have accepted a deal based on his first 3 years of production - he's betting on himself. So you either have to offer him a Crawford-esque deal based on his play from half of 2018, or you have to wait till 2020 FA to talk again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm talking Collins over Zeke, easier to find a decent RB that can play right away

We spend a 4th and we think we've got Gale Sayers. We spend a 3rd and get Murray. We spend a 1st and get Zeke.

Maybe it really isn't that hard to draft a good RB, and maybe we're actually good at it.

We should have been drafting mid rounders in anticipation of this day with Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think someone as astute as Stephen has a handle on the cap issues. clearly the stated goal of the cowboys is to keep as many of the young, outstanding players as possible on the roster. cutswill more likely be made at positions where first and second team players are showing starting potential. d-backs come to mind. that would make guys like Byron jones expendable. tyrone Crawford would be another. even tavon Austin.

As long as Zeke is signed at a reasonable price I would have no problem if that mean Collins had to walk. He hasnt done much since he has been here anyway.