Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go to make your malcontent RB happy?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We spend a 4th and we think we've got Gale Sayers. We spend a 3rd and get Murray. We spend a 1st and get Zeke.

Maybe it really isn't that hard to draft a good RB, and maybe we're actually good at it.

We should have been drafting mid rounders in anticipation of this day with Zeke.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::hammer:

JayFord

Reaction score
His future contract got a little bigger today.

When we played Seattle in the regular season last year their line was awful and our dline were monsters and Seattle punked us

I want my dline to actually dominate who they are supposed to dominate

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's Byron Jones, next offseason, we will let go to accommodate Zeke; and it's worth it.

Remember that we passed on a generational talent @ corner (Jalen Ramsey) to draft Zeke #4 overall. The conclusion by the entire organization is that Zeke, by the way he impacts time-of-possession & protects the defense, was the more valuable player. Hence, they will go younger/cheaper at corner, count on Kris Richard (one of the best teachers in football) to coach them up, and keep their Hall-of-Fame halfback in the middle of the offense...

It's the contracts to Dak & Amari, both of which are going to be larger than Zeke's (Dak's considerably so), which may compel the 'boys to let Maliek walk. I'm with you, though, on wanting to keep him!

Ill take the pro bowl CB over the malcontent, mental midget, self entitled, classless RB that is a drunken night away from suspension any day of the week.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When we played Seattle in the regular season last year their line was awful and our dline were monsters and Seattle punked us

I want my dline to actually dominate who they are supposed to dominate

The ONLY grade A quality Dlineman we have on the team is Lawrence. At this point the rest are just JAGS.

I find it comical that some fans talk about how stacked we are on the Dline.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's not just the RB. The malcontent QB and WR want big $$$ as well.
True but the other 2 are in camp and playing, they just have not signed. They also do not have 2 years left on rookie contract.

I think jerry caving to Demarcus L., was the start of this current dilemma, he caved and overpaid over just the threat of holdout.

This is where NE is so superior to Dallas and other teams, they have set the outline of what they will and will not tolerate, and stick to it no
matter what or who.

I think the Amari situation is funny, I and others said at the time it was a bad move to give a 1st for him.
partly cause he was in his last year of R deal so the cowboys would have to pay him quickly. Not like drafting a guy # 1 and get him cheap for 4 years.
Then no one thought about well hey what if he does great, and then demands top wr money on his new contract??
I will admit I didnt see that coming either lol. But now here they are, and they need to sign him after giving up a 1st, so that gives Amari some leverage.

But in closing, all 3 players are wanting too much, they should all be more like Jaylon and willing to sign a deal that is more team friendly.
Amari could be playing in Buffalo or some other crap team. And playing for Dallas puts him in the lime light. He should be able to make a lot in endorsement
money.
Dak, Dallas did draft Dak in the 4th, and who knows, he could have wound up a 6th or seventh round pick or still be fighting for bkup on some other team.
Jones boys dropped Romo to go with Dak also, so Dak could give in a little to get the deal done.

Sadly when the season starts, instead of just enjoying the new season, we will have to hear about this stuff over and over each week , each game.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Depends on how well Collins does. If he has a Geno Atkins, Gerald McCoy in their prime-type year, 8-10 sacks, 60-80 pressures, great run D, no way you let him leave.
Those type of interior players win you Super Bowls.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.
Odds are Zeke signs before Collins accomplishes that.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
True but the other 2 are in camp and playing, they just have not signed. They also do not have 2 years left on rookie contract.

I think jerry caving to Demarcus L., was the start of this current dilemma, he caved and overpaid over just the threat of holdout.

This is where NE is so superior to Dallas and other teams, they have set the outline of what they will and will not tolerate, and stick to it no
matter what or who.

I think the Amari situation is funny, I and others said at the time it was a bad move to give a 1st for him.
partly cause he was in his last year of R deal so the cowboys would have to pay him quickly. Not like drafting a guy # 1 and get him cheap for 4 years.
Then no one thought about well hey what if he does great, and then demands top wr money on his new contract??
I will admit I didnt see that coming either lol. But now here they are, and they need to sign him after giving up a 1st, so that gives Amari some leverage.

But in closing, all 3 players are wanting too much, they should all be more like Jaylon and willing to sign a deal that is more team friendly.
Amari could be playing in Buffalo or some other crap team. And playing for Dallas puts him in the lime light. He should be able to make a lot in endorsement
money.
Dak, Dallas did draft Dak in the 4th, and who knows, he could have wound up a 6th or seventh round pick or still be fighting for bkup on some other team.
Jones boys dropped Romo to go with Dak also, so Dak could give in a little to get the deal done.

Sadly when the season starts, instead of just enjoying the new season, we will have to hear about this stuff over and over each week , each game.

Didn't Jaylon get paid in the top 3 at his position? It is not like he signed on the cheap

Verdict

Reaction score
We drafted M. Collins in the 3rd round if I remember correctly. We would probably net a 3rd round comp pick for him.

If you hit on players in the draft on a top player and they walk you get a top 100 draft pick to replace that player. That’s a pretty good gig.

If you let that player walk and draft a replacement well, then you keep your cap in great shape with cheap labor.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Collins, but projecting him as an elite DT this season is a considerable stretch. Besides, if we are going to play this game, we could ask WHAT IF Awuzie finally breaks out, and WHAT IF Gallup becomes as good or better than Cooper, or WHAT IF Jarwin has 800 receiving yards, or any number of other WHAT IFs. Now all of a sudden we can't sign anyone out of fear of all the WHAT IFs that could change the situation. In the end, all any team can do is make judgements based on their best guess.

catiii

Reaction score
Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.
Of course you don't let Collins go!! TEAM matters more than an individual primadonna. But then, I'm not Jerry.

JayFord

Reaction score
The ONLY grade A quality Dlineman we have on the team is Lawrence. At this point the rest are just JAGS.

I find it comical that some fans talk about how stacked we are on the Dline.

As far as I’m concerned this whole team is garbage until they get to a nfc title game

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We spend a 4th and we think we've got Gale Sayers. We spend a 3rd and get Murray. We spend a 1st and get Zeke.

Maybe it really isn't that hard to draft a good RB, and maybe we're actually good at it.

Maybe. Then again, maybe we should wait until "Gale Sayers" plays a regular season game - better still an entire season - before making such proclamations?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s never been this dominant the first three years of his contract. Be weary

He's also never been this healthy.

While I do recognize your concerns, I don't think it applies to a guy like Collins. I don't think his effort level has ever been questioned.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Exactly. 100% correct. Victims of good drafts. Wish the NFL gave Salary Cap carve outs for drafted players.

Lol victims.

We have consistently drafted well. If you do that then you prioritize your own FA you want/can to resign, let the other ones go, and go modest in VFA, then you are sitting pretty.

If Collins is everything you are claiming and demands a high contract from us then his is going to get an even better contact in VFA. Because we are not spending in VFA that means his high dollar VFA contract nets us more draft picks.

Then we continue to draft well.

Every team has to deal with the cap. Not every team is stacked with drafted/UDFA talent like we are. The object of the game is beat the other teams. While we are signing our own guys and stockpiling draft picks, they are spending a premium in VFA to try and make up their talent deficit from drafting inferior to us.

It's a sustainable way of doing business in the NFL.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's also never been this healthy.

While I do recognize your concerns, I don't think it applies to a guy like Collins. I don't think his effort level has ever been questioned.

Big guys with chronic foot issues are a huge injury risk.