CZ POLL Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DStar22

Reaction score
voted yes. he's got a SB ring, a winning record, and isn't afraid of the work necessary to fix himself or a team. he could be a great DC coach.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Here is the take from BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1:

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/images/fball/cowboysb_logo.gif Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy: LOL Grade
I'm grading this as an "LOL" because I literally laughed out loud so hard that I nearly threw out my back when I first saw this news.

If there's been a coach who has been nearly as bad as Jason Garrett in the previous decade, it was Mike McCarthy. In fact, I saw someone describe McCarthy as a "fatter Jason Garrett," and I thought it was brilliantly accurate.

People will point to the fact that McCarthy won the Super Bowl, but that was Aaron Rodgers winning in spite of McCarthy. If the Packers had a coach better than McCarthy, they would've claimed multiple Lombardi Trophies with Rodgers. As everyone learned this year, McCarthy held back the Packers from reaching their full potential. He utilized archaic and predictable schemes, showed no feel for the game, and constantly clashed with his future Hall of Fame quarterback. In fact, Rodgers even lost on purpose to Arizona in 2018 because he despised McCarthy so much.

McCarthy did such a poor job in Green Bay that I would've shocked if he earned another head-coaching gig in the NFL prior to seeing this news. Yet, here we are. The Cowboys, for some strange reason, have decided to hire McCarthy in what is an utterly embarrassing move. Almost anyone would've been a major upgrade over Garrett, but McCarthy was one of the few exceptions.

It took the Cowboys six years too long to fire Garrett, yet they're stuck with the same trash coaching them. This is the easiest "F" grade I've ever posted. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to fetch my heating pad.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/images/fball/cowboysb_logo.gif Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy: LOL Grade
I'm grading this as an "LOL" because I literally laughed out loud so hard that I nearly threw out my back when I first saw this news.

If there's been a coach who has been nearly as bad as Jason Garrett in the previous decade, it was Mike McCarthy. In fact, I saw someone describe McCarthy as a "fatter Jason Garrett," and I thought it was brilliantly accurate.

People will point to the fact that McCarthy won the Super Bowl, but that was Aaron Rodgers winning in spite of McCarthy. If the Packers had a coach better than McCarthy, they would've claimed multiple Lombardi Trophies with Rodgers. As everyone learned this year, McCarthy held back the Packers from reaching their full potential. He utilized archaic and predictable schemes, showed no feel for the game, and constantly clashed with his future Hall of Fame quarterback. In fact, Rodgers even lost on purpose to Arizona in 2018 because he despised McCarthy so much.

McCarthy did such a poor job in Green Bay that I would've shocked if he earned another head-coaching gig in the NFL prior to seeing this news. Yet, here we are. The Cowboys, for some strange reason, have decided to hire McCarthy in what is an utterly embarrassing move. Almost anyone would've been a major upgrade over Garrett, but McCarthy was one of the few exceptions.

It took the Cowboys six years too long to fire Garrett, yet they're stuck with the same trash coaching them. This is the easiest "F" grade I've ever posted. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to fetch my heating pad.

This guy is a complete moron. He was “shocked” he got another job. Meanwhile he had like 3 interviews from teams so far in free agency.

also everyone that says it was all Rodgers discounts the rest of the team. How GB never drafted a legit running back to play with Rodgers..... never had a consistent defense either. Rodgers is great no doubt but he never had a great team around him.

the reason the packers are good this year is cause they have an Aaron Jones and a decent defense.

DStar22

Reaction score

sorry But aaron rodgers didn't win by himself. he had a team around him and that team was helped to be built by the head coach, so this notion is incorrect it seems to me.

Oneiros

Reaction score
This guy is a complete moron. He was “shocked” he got another job. Meanwhile he had like 3 interviews from teams so far in free agency.

also everyone that says it was all Rodgers discounts the rest of the team. How GB never drafted a legit running back to play with Rodgers..... never had a consistent defense either. Rodgers is great no doubt but he never had a great team around him.

the reason the packers are good this year is cause they have an Aaron Jones and a decent defense.
If I'm not mistaken it sounds like the Giants were impressed by him as well and wanted to bring him in for another interview.

landroverking

Reaction score
Jerry’s age factors in.
At 77? How many years will he be around?
Going with a college guy could take 3-4 years to develop his team.
Remember it took Jimmy 4 years to get a SB.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It's close to 70/30... I just want to know. How much has the Arron Rogers incident changed this Poll?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
giphy-downsized.gif

huge upgrade over garrett .

Last edited:

Oneiros

Reaction score
It's close to 70/30... I just want to know. How much has the Arron Rogers incident changed this Poll?
I could care less what Rodgers has to say about McCarthy so to me it hasn't changed my opinion of the hire at all.

Is MM without warts? Of course not but at the end of he's a huge upgrade over Garrett.

And the fact in a single day we have actually moved on from Garrett AND rid ourselves of Rod.. Whelp, that's a great day for me.

We'll know soon enough if MM's coaching success was all due to Rodgers or if he actually knows how to coach.

I'm looking forward to see what other changes we make this off season.

bewp7

Reaction score

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i have a feeling that one will be on the old takes exposed twitter one day.

:grin:

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think he's an upgrade over Garrett, but really, who other than maybe Campo wouldn't be?

But there are concerns. With Garrett we've complained about how the Cowboys were too soft and how he failed to adjust and that seems to be a problem with McCarthy too.

"Even when they built a 19-7 lead in the NFC title game in 2015, even as they bruised and bloodied the most physical team in the NFL for 56 minutes, it was only a matter of time before their inner softness was exposed. McCarthy caved, the defense caved, and it was not by accident.
"That Seahawks game defined our team right there," he says. "We didn't have any finishers."

But even one defensive starter who begins a conversation by praising McCarthy soon admits the culture he instilled created a soft team.
When Thompson hired McCarthy, he called him "Pittsburgh macho." And yet the coach rarely matched his no-bull rhetoric in press conferences with no-bull action. One personnel man calls him "a fake tough guy." McCarthy rarely fined or benched or sent messages to players and paid the price almost every season

Where were the route combinations? The motion? The misdirection? "It's like, 'Dude, you have to adjust! The league changes!'" the personnel man says. "You've got to be humble enough to follow it. If you can't adapt, you die. He (McCarthy) definitely didn't adapt. You can't run 90 back-shoulders into coverage. I don't care who you are. Things got so stale."

You also have to wonder how successful he would've been without Rodgers. Even with him they made the playoffs most years but often ended up underachieving.

At this point I'm ready for anyone but Garrett. But McCarthy may just be a more experienced slight upgrade.

yentl911

Reaction score
The bottom line is that no one has a damn clue how well he will do. That is a fact. I am glad that Garrett is gone and a new guy is here to try and manage the clown locker that has become our franchise.

CWR

Reaction score

:hammer:

king987

Reaction score
For what the Cowboys were clearly looking for, an NFL Coach with a positive resume, it doesn't get better than McCarthy as far as the options go.

I mean, it could be worse. It could have been Marvin Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.