CZ POLL Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm on the "anyone but Garrett" train, so McCarthy is an upgrade in that sense, but he's not a great hire at all.

I used to refer to him as the Jason Garrett of the NFC North. A lazy coach who recycled the same offense year after year, stayed hands-off during the week and was no better than mediocre on Sunday. His failings were clear for years, but the only reason he kept his job for 10 seasons is that he always had a 1st ballot HOF quarterback dragging the team to 8-10 wins a season, and that created "sTaBiLiTy" in the minds of the front office. No, it was just a talented roster underachieving due to the uninspired and lazy coaching staff coordinating them. As soon as Green Bay brought a new HC who installed a new offense, LaFleur went 13-3 with basically the same roster McCarthy had in 2018, and that was with Rodgers playing at his worst level in a decade.

How could he be hands off during the week if he was calling plays on Sunday? I'm pretty confident he wasn't calling plays without being involved in the game planning.

As for having a HOF QB helping him win, doesn't Sean Payton? Belichick? Didn't Mike Shanahan and Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry and Bill Walsh and on and on? If that's the mark of a bad coach, then we are going to have to rethink a lot of highly regarded coaches.

Look, I'm not saying this was a great hire - I really don't know if he is or not. Time will tell that. But I think he is worthy of a shot, and of waiting to see results before judging. He's certainly accomplished enough for that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm on the "anyone but Garrett" train, so McCarthy is an upgrade in that sense, but he's not a great hire at all.

I used to refer to him as the Jason Garrett of the NFC North. A lazy coach who recycled the same offense year after year, stayed hands-off during the week and was no better than mediocre on Sunday. His failings were clear for years, but the only reason he kept his job for 10 seasons is that he always had a 1st ballot HOF quarterback dragging the team to 8-10 wins a season, and that created "sTaBiLiTy" in the minds of the front office. No, it was just a talented roster underachieving due to the uninspired and lazy coaching staff coordinating them. As soon as Green Bay brought a new HC who installed a new offense, LaFleur went 13-3 with basically the same roster McCarthy had in 2018, and that was with Rodgers playing at his worst level in a decade.

Jason Garrett of the NFC North?

Seriously? So his offense is stale we get that. But that stale offense got them where they needed to go and it worked. I just like his willingness to make changes and use a more modern style offense - something in Garrett's tenure here failed to do.

Reactions: CWR

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With the news fresh in our minds, I thought it would be good to do an initial reaction check with everyone.

As usual, I do not provide an easy-way-out option in the polls.

Either vote or you have no opinion! :D
I said no because this question needs some other options.
I think it is an ok hire, I think they had their mind made up before the end of the season. This was all too quick, and we cant be sure
but they didnt even try to interview bellichick, or some of the other good coordinators, or college coaches.

Jerry wanted a proven guy I think for quick results, but MM is a retread, a good retread, but still a retread.
Hopefully he has changed and opened his mind to new ideas, but I just have to wait and see what all he does, in offseason, and the 1st season.
I will give him a chance, and it is fun to be able to root for the cowboys again. I think he will win 3-4 more games per season that JG would lose.
That could get dallas home field advantage or 1 or 2 seed status .
As I said elsewhere they should make playoffs and then we will see how good he is in playoffs.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
True and Jimmy had a rep with questionable guys at OSU and Miami.

But besides his success, who is the last college HC to come into the NFL as do anything but get the hell out and back to college? Saban, Petrino bolted before the contract was up and Spurrier as soon as his 5M a year deal was up. College coaches weren't getting that kind of dough back then.

There is a reason why the NFL coaches are thought to be better than the college ones because one a more even playing field, coaching matters more. That limited 45 gameday roster is a challenge for the best NFL coaches, the college guys are all about recruiting and having 60 on game day and 80 to pull from to get their 60.

And today's NFL has become the players wagging the dog because of the amount of money involved. Let's see a NFL HC suspend a star player for breaking the rules.

What happened after Jimmy came to the nfl??? The salary cap. Thats why college coaches dont come in and kick butt, just like NFL new hires. Look at every NFL new hire from the past 5 years.... Id guess 80% fail. The real reason comes down to one thing. Did they hit in the draft with the right QB. Thats it. If they did, they were succesful. If they didnt , they will get fired soon.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
One big hire down. Nolan.

Leaning towards do not like.

Special teams better be a home run.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
As I read everything released about him, I think he was the best candidate available.

Belichick, Payton, Harbaugh ain't going anywhere, or are going to cost you the next 2 years of draft picks.

All the college coaches are completely unpredictable. Jimmy and Pete Carroll are the only ones in 30 years who have done anything significant in the NFL after winning the College titles.

All the comments about McCarthy add up:
  • Belichick said he was one of the toughest coaches he's ever matched up against.
  • He has the same record as Payton with the same benefit of a franchise QB. No one other than Belichick has a better record.
  • 1 of 4 coaches in NFL history to lead a team to 8 straight playoff appearances.
  • He's been preparing for life back in the NFL, just like Andy Reid another great long-term coach who didn't end his decade long tenure the way he wanted, and is ready to prove he is still the best.
  • So he had problems with Rogers? So did Dan Reeves with Elway. Barry Switzer with Aikman. And so on... Other than the NBA, it's the one pro sports where a position can control the entire team. I'm sure he's learned from it.
  • And for me personally, I remember so many games where he whooped our butts! I hated playing the Pack under McCarthy the same I hated the Eagles under Andy Reid. Just a damn good team that had our number.
I think this was a great hire, and the only thing we have to worry about is Jerry. On the morning ESPN show with Marcus Spears, he talked about how he saw the GM/Head Coach dynamic go from great with Parcells to weird with Garrett.

That's all I'm worried about. I almost feel like you have to bring in a legend or someone with platinum cojones because Jerry will get his greasy paws in there and screw it up eventually with the undermining.

I hope that Jerry nearing his last years will realize this and step back and make it work the best.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
With the news fresh in our minds, I thought it would be good to do an initial reaction check with everyone.

As usual, I do not provide an easy-way-out option in the polls.

Either vote or you have no opinion! :D

Its a good hire.

He is clearly the best option for a coach with NFL exp.

Urban Meyer is better, but he doesn't have NFL exp.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Its a good hire.

He is clearly the best option for a coach with NFL exp.

Urban Meyer is better, but he doesn't have NFL exp.
NFL exp. who gives a a hoot...McCarthy sucks and had been riding coat tails his entire existence in the NFL

zeke21

Reaction score
I like the hire on multiple levels. First whilst we can all dream of the college hotshot..the guy to come in and drive for victory.. the reality is that most don't make the leap from college to nfl. Also the leap from college to OUR locker room would have been made worse by the fact that we have a very big amount of big personalities (jerry loves em).. A college guy always takes time to work out how to cope with a locker room that all make more money and have more profile than him.

McCarthy comes in with experience and history.. that should help on two fronts. First he should have enough strength to tell Jerry to back off and two.. the guys might respond to the fact that he has proven he can get to, and win, a superbowl. McCarthy also made a lot of players look very good and is, by all reports, solid for development.. so that is a win.

I love the fact that it ended badly in GB.. the guy has a chip on his shoulder and will be out to prove that HE is a good coach.. and that he didn't just get 'lucky' because of Rodgers. He has spent a year out of the game with pure focus on finding another position and proving ppl wrong.. I think that could spark a real fire. It also means he has had a year to study analytics, address his weaknesses and refresh his clearly stale offence.

My caveat would be to approach it with clear purpose.. He has three years. We need to set benchmarks. Playoffs at least twice out of three, at least one playoff win (hopefully more) and real development in all three phases. If he hasn't achieved that.. for any reason at all.. then he is gone and get the next guy in.

DanA

Reaction score
I'm on the fence.

There's some stuff I don't like and I worry about him bringing a stale approach that is predictable. On the flip side I think some time out of the game has allowed him to gain fresh perspective which hopefully will allow him to fix some of the "stale" deficiencies in his coaching and I'm extremely confident that at the very least his coaching will be an improvement on Garrett. Not a bad hire, he won't strike out, but it's just not swinging for the fences as much as I would have liked.

shabazz

Reaction score
This might be the first time in history CZ is drinking more koolaid thank BTB.

I think the large majority of fans are in a wait and see status. Nothing to get worked up about either negative or positive about the new coaches till we see the final product. Now the one thing the majority of fans know for sure, is that Garrett and his staff are out the door and that same majority is happy as hell about it

Status
Not open for further replies.