CZ POLL Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys were enamored with what was left over among available candidates such as assistants Greg Roman- Ravens, Robert Saleh- Niners, or Eric Bieniemy, etc.
and could Cowboys also have been thinking, let's grab him before Giants have a chance to talk/hire him ?

and it seems obvious that college HCs was going to be the route to go. They didn't feel like experimenting and they wanted to get the ground running with the more
proven, experienced HC, who will have to be critical to Dak's development and productivity, imo.

Frozen700

Reaction score
With the news fresh in our minds, I thought it would be good to do an initial reaction check with everyone.

As usual, I do not provide an easy-way-out option in the polls.

Either vote or you have no opinion! :D

He's not Garrett, so there's that.

#DontpayDak

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
No. I think he's a good coach but won't bring the complete organizational overhaul so desperately needed. I don't think this team is good enough to just change the head coach and compete. I wouldn't have carried a single coach, trainer, or towel boy left over from the 2019 staff. I like McCarthy but I see it being him and a bunch of Jerry's boys. Simply removing Jason and inserting Mike is disappointing to me.

Eightneight

Reaction score
Good hire. He has won alot of games in this league, reached the playoffs 9 out of 13 years (not one and done). Won a superbowl. His issues with A.R. stem more from the fact that A.R. is whiny little girl IMO. A.R. has a reputation of being a pr!@k and this guy was able to manage it for a long time. M.M. show some emotion too. He's not going to just be spitting and clapping on the sidelines. He WILL chew some *** when he needs to. But overall, I really like the fact that during his year off he took that time to look in the mirror to see what HE can do better with this opportunity. That says something about the MAN.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Maybe he is a filler before we eventually hire Peyton after the Saints sink.
Not sure why everyone is so much higher on Peyton. He's got the same amount of SB rings as MM. :huh: They're pretty even considering talent.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I find it amusing that fans think established coaches like McCarthy and Lewis will be puppets for Garrett, but young college coaches who've never coached in the NFL will both get all the players and Jerry in line....so silly. Even Jimmy Johnson admitted that the learning curve for the NFL was a steep one and his whole staff took awhile to adjust, and if it wasn't for the monster trade for which we should thank Minnesota more than Jimmy, it may have been years of slow growth.

Marvin Lewis had the Bengals being relevant when he was there...the Bengals are only a notch above the Browns. We only joke because he couldn't get them to succeed in the playoffs and because he was there a long time.

McCarthy's record in the small town of GB is something to be admired. He played a big part in developing Rodgers. Yes, he had Rodgers, but he also had to deal with Rodgers and his own ego. He won without a great OL, sometimes without a RB, without a great defense, and Rodgers was often throwing to wide open receivers back then. That's enough for me.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally underwhelming. They didn’t even perform a diligent search. I’m sick of the way this franchise does things but I can’t not be a Cowboys fan. I hate it.

Bye.

So if someone makes these type of comments about not being a fan anymore. Should their login be deleted? :lmao2:

Edit..I read this the wrong way...but it still applies for all those that say they are out....:muttley:

Last edited:

bewp7

Reaction score
yes...as someone who thinks extremely little of jerry jones, mike mccarthy is probably the best possible outcome. he is the safe, boring choice and that’s okay. my opinion of jerry jones the gm is so low that “it could’ve been worse” is a positive outcome.

the only thing i don’t like is how few candidates were interviewed. tunnel vision is not a good thing when u are making such an important hire.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
In tired of this he had Aaron nonsense.
This is a guy in two years turned a 4-12 team to the NFC championship.

Then, he coached Aaron and it took Aaron 2 seasons to get it going. What no one is bringing up is Aaron had very good wrs, a 1000 yard rusher, and a very good defense when he became the starter.

This probably is a good hire because McCarthy will work on the Wrs and make sure Zeke get used in the running game but will still air it out if that is a weakness of the opposing team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could have been much worse.
With that said, could have been better IMO.

I would have preferred one of the college coaches, Urban, Lincoln or Matt R.

However I can understand wanting and established coach with NFL HC exp.

Taking a College coach becoming a first time NFL HC might take some years to work through and this team has enough established players not to start a long term process at this point.

Frankly I think Jerry got burnt with Jason having a learning phase and did not want to go through that again with this team and in his stage (age) of life.

leeblair

Reaction score
With the news fresh in our minds, I thought it would be good to do an initial reaction check with everyone.

As usual, I do not provide an easy-way-out option in the polls.

Either vote or you have no opinion! :D
It's a great hire, but they could've had me.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.