Do you really need 20 Million DE's?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, that’s fine if your willing to accept the consequences and potential effects it has on this season.
Since he's one guy at a position that can be negated, I am OK with that. And this is compounded by the game he's playing with this shoulder surgery.

The name of the game in today's NFL is offense, 22.5M for a D player, unless he is Donald is ludicrous. The best D, CHI, in the NFC and 2nd best, MIN, can't get enough traction to get to the NFCCG. A team needs a great O and good enough D. Reverse that and they're not going far enough.

The other side of this is that it is harder to keep a D together, look at the tagged DE's. The O players are superior to the D players and that is not going to change, only going to widen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering our dire circumstances on DL and concerns for committing too much long term then Tagging Lawrence one more season is the obvious solution but if we wait until the deadline then he isn’t going to have his surgery in time to prevent from missing several games.
The they can change that stupid nickname Tank to Shank or DLaw to DNaw.

Reactions: G2

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since he's one guy at a position that can be negated, I am OK with that. And this is compounded by the game he's playing with this shoulder surgery.

The name of the game in today's NFL is offense, 22.5M for a D player, unless he is Donald is ludicrous. The best D, CHI, in the NFC and 2nd best, MIN, can't get enough traction to get to the NFCCG. A team needs a great O and good enough D. Reverse that and they're not going far enough.

The other side of this is that it is harder to keep a D together, look at the tagged DE's. The O players are superior to the D players and that is not going to change, only going to widen.
Except in our case the defense is carrying the offense.

Losing 2 key DL and another rotational could have great effects on a top 10 defense if we’re unable to pressure the QB.
We’ll see..

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The they can change that stupid nickname Tank to Shank or DLaw to DNaw.
Yea, I didn’t at first realize they’d changed it to Tank.

I get all the Cap implications. And agree on principle. We need to get his Franchise Tag signed then so we can get him into surgery.

And we can move on and be looking to draft this year and next year to replace him, Gregory, Irving and the poor pick Taco was.

The cumulative poor decisions and unfortunate circumstances have left us in this pickle.

uvaballa

Reaction score
If Irving and Gregory wasn’t missing significant time or retiring maybe they could move on. Due to those two, they better pay the man.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right but in this situation because of our other circumstances losing Gregory and Irving is going to cost us either in money or severe loss of talent.

I agree it's kind of a slippery slope right now, but I don't fault the team for using the franchise tag. If they hadn't Lawrence would already be a free agent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the Cowboys are not willing to pay this much for a DE, then they should have never used the franchise tag on Tank.

Did you see the Pats use the franchise tag on FLowers? No, they thanked him for his services and he signed for $18.5 yr with Detriot.

The Cowboys should do the same with Tank. Either commit to paying him $20+ million or recend the tag and let him be a free agent.

And I am not disagreeing with you my friend, I actually think you make a good argument to not pay that much to one single player on your DL, just like the pats decided not to do.

Why wouldn't the Cowboys tag him? If you tag him, then it forces teams to give up compensation. If you just let him walk, you get nothing in return. Why on earth would any team do that?

exciter

Reaction score
I find cowboys fans comical. How this board was before Tank busted out on the scene. Everybody was looking for the wardaddy but now yall dont want them to commit. Ok he walks then who does what? Some bargin bin player? Please. I can see the complaints now about us having no pass rush
Yup... maybe they can entice Mincy out of retirement bet he could give them 10 maybe 15 quality snaps from the lde position!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn't the Cowboys tag him? If you tag him, then it forces teams to give up compensation. If you just let him walk, you get nothing in return. Why on earth would any team do that?
Belichick didn't because he didn't want to pay Flowers 20M next season. They don't tag them because they don't want to pay them and hoping someone will step up and offer a trade is risky.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Because he can hold the team hostage. Which gives us nothing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least pay him this year. 2020 we’ll have more options and picks to recover.
I agree but that can backfire on them and what they get for their 20M this season is a part time DE. Granted, that would be for the latter part of the season instead the beginning but what if they're not in a good position when he's finally ready to play at 100%?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Belichick didn't because he didn't want to pay Flowers 20M next season. They don't tag them because they don't want to pay them and hoping someone will step up and offer a trade is risky.

We don't pay them anything if they don't sign the tag. If they sign the tag, then they play or they work out a trade, where by we get compensated. I don't know all the details around Flowers but there sito was different. They didn't want to keep Flowers, they wanted to go after another FA if I'm not mistaken. Dallas wants to keep Lawrence so this would seem to be the way to go.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because he can hold the team hostage. Which gives us nothing.

I don't see how. If he doesn't sign the tag, we owe him nothing and he can't sign with anybody else. How does that keep us held hostage? I mean, the one thing I can see him doing is holding out until the 10th week but if he does that, then he doesn't get paid for the entire season and he loses money. In addition, he still has to have surgery and pass a physical so it's not a given that he could be reinstated either. He could miss an entire season and he's still in the same position the next year, I believe. I mean, if he misses a year, that's not going to help his case IMO. I don't believe he will get paid what he wants upon his return, especially if the team that he negotiates with is not willing to give up a first and a third plus the contract demands he wants. I think his best bet, if he wants to get paid what he says he does, is to negotiate a deal on a trade with a team that is willing to give up the picks and the salary. I don't believe that team is out there but if it is, that's a win/win and I would jump all over it.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
No. We need 3-4 solid ones, and hope to find a really disruptive one in the draft.
Patriots had four solid DEs in 2016 when they had the best scoring defense in the league.
Sheard, Long, Flowers and Nincovich.
None breaking the bank.
Much rather put a bigger investment at DT.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but that can backfire on them and what they get for their 20M this season is a part time DE. Granted, that would be for the latter part of the season instead the beginning but what if they're not in a good position when he's finally ready to play at 100%?
It’s why I get him to sign the Franchise Tag now. Make our intentions known and get him into surgery.