Do you see NFL season starting w/o delays?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
As of now, I can't imagine the NFL opening the season September to a full schedule. Of course, a lot can happen in six months but I would think they'd have to make some sorta decision/announcement 30-60 days after the draft. Just curious how you guys see this playing out.

1. The season starts on time w/o delays 2. The start of the season is delayed with a reduced schedule ( maybe 12 games )
3. NFL 2020 season is canceled

There is zero chance the season is delayed. This will pass.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I doubt it. I think basically a year of sports will be wiped out due to this virus. It might be relatively under control by the time the NFL season is set to begin but it won’t be gone. Massive gatherings of people will just reignite the problem. Once a vaccine is developed I think we will be much more protected and things can go back to normal but that won’t be until a year from now. It’s possible they do the season without spectators maybe. That would be better then nothing at least.

RoboQB

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Dude, that is freakin' hilarious! I love that!

stiletto

Reaction score
It's just too early to tell. If everywhere else is like NY now by end of May, there is no way the season is happening, if things go perfect it will probably be a shortened season at best.

basel90

Reaction score
i think if it starts on time , it will be with no fans in the stands until a solution is found.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Everyone can guess how the season plays out (if at all), but that’s all it is. A guess.

RoboQB

Reaction score
It's just too early to tell. If everywhere else is like NY now by end of May, there is no way the season is happening, if things go perfect it will probably be a shortened season at best.

Just to continue discussion and also grasping at straws here.
If only NY, what are the chances of relocating teams?
Maybe Buffalo stays, but maybe move the Giants and Jets further than NJ.

I know. It's silly. Humor me though... lol

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As of now, I can't imagine the NFL opening the season September to a full schedule. Of course, a lot can happen in six months but I would think they'd have to make some sorta decision/announcement 30-60 days after the draft. Just curious how you guys see this playing out.

1. The season starts on time w/o delays 2. The start of the season is delayed with a reduced schedule ( maybe 12 games )
3. NFL 2020 season is canceled

Hard to say, for Reasons We Must Not Name.

But it's not just the season. It's all of the offseason. Extra issue for us - because McCarthy is a new HC, we're supposed to be allowed to begin offseason workouts 3 weeks earlier than other teams, on April 6. Maybe we get 2 of those weeks.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ates-schedule-big-questions-league-priorities

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I wonder how the CBA addresses a lack of minicamps, OTAs, and a true offseason. The players need a few months to get acclimated to hitting and wearing pads again.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's face it. The NFL season is most likely to begin once a vaccine is discovered in time for the NFL to allow it to proceed -- tough call. :omg:

Will a provision be made to telecast it with no fans in the stadium to observe the game in person? Who knows? Maybe only time will tell.:huh:

Last edited:

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
I think we have the full season but it will start later. First football is big business. Most of the money is made off TV. Perhaps they relax blackout rules. Also I think they will delay the start if they can out of respect for other sports. NBA and NHL could wrap up playoffs late summer (fingers crossed). Baseball will need an all star game. The general public likes that. The Masters and the US Open are big deals held in high regard by all athletes. We wouldn’t care if the super bowl was played at the end February. The owners and players on the other hand would care though if they didn’t have one or one with an asterisk. Finally lots of new stadiums financed with debt that needs to be serviced. So I think things just get pushed back a month and away we go.

cowboyec

Reaction score
sure as hell hope so.
the draft can't get here fast enuff...let alone the season.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
First warm week in Spring will change everything.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
i think if it starts on time , it will be with no fans in the stands until a solution is found.
that is what the xfl should have done.
I dont know if owners are interested in games with no people at games, even though seats are already sold, they would lose the parking
and concession money.
I think it would be good for morale for the public, to have it go forward with a normal season minus fans at games.
another thing they could do is have only some seats as ok, so people would be 6-10 seats away from any other spectator.
This could change each game with different seats ok so most people who own the seats could go to 1 game lol.
Also make the whole concession thing as safe as possible.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Hard to say, for Reasons We Must Not Name.

But it's not just the season. It's all of the offseason. Extra issue for us - because McCarthy is a new HC, we're supposed to be allowed to begin offseason workouts 3 weeks earlier than other teams, on April 6. Maybe we get 2 of those weeks.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ates-schedule-big-questions-league-priorities
I gave reasons why I think the season would begin on time in an earlier post and the post was kicked. I did not start a new thread, I just said yes and this is why. I still say yes, but I'll leave the reasoning out.